Can men be "just friends" with women? Why or why not?

Do you think men can be content with being "just friends" with women? Especially if they find them attractive?

Feel free to share personal experiences and why you think "yes" or "no".

• Yes, men can be "just friends" with attractive women
  • No, they can't be just friends with attractive women
  • They can if she's ugly
  • Men can never be friends with women. period.

Most Helpful Guy

• Casual acquaintances is one thing, close friends is another.

Here's the issue:

Women bond easily with their female friends and openly share their emotions with them. Guys rarely do this with other guys, we associate that closeness with romantic interests. So when a guy and girl become emotionally close, if the guy finds the girl attractive, he's most likely going to fall in love.

Even if he's not attracted to her, or if he thinks she's attractive but not a viable girlfriend, there's still the problem of guys normally only opening up to one girl. The problem here is that once the girl gets involved with a different guy romantically, he's going to be occupying her mental bandwidth in terms of the emotional connection, filling the role that the platonic friend was filling before, because she's also the new guy's only emotional outlet.

When that happens, one of two things generally happens: 1) the platonic friend becomes an outlet for her to bitch about her boyfriend to and she stops sharing the good parts with him because she's sharing it with her new boyfriend. 2) she becomes completely preoccupied and just drops out of the friend's life.

In either case, this isn't such a big deal when girls have girlfriends fall in love, because they have other friends to connect with emotionally and the boyfriend complaining is a topic in common. But when it happens to a guy friend, he's losing that close emotional connection that he doesn't have elsewhere, so it's a big loss for him and he loses interest in her as a friend.

The same kind of thing also happens if the guy gets a girlfriend. The girlfriend becomes his emotional outlet and his interest in the platonic friend fades into the background.

So no, it doesn't really work, at least not long term. Close friendships between guys and gals almost always die as soon as one of them gets into a relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• My answer is, "It depends".

If either person is either remotely attractive one of the two people will catch feelings for the other person.
    It's only natural.

What Guys Said 8

• Not with attractive women. Because men will sleep with her if he ever gets the chance. Unless he's married or in a committed relationship.

• They sure can be, but only above the age of 20.

• Yes, they can. I have females as friends and I much prefer it that way.

• Just the mere fact that gay people exist proves that this is possible.

• yes they can

• Unfortunately they can not. If you think they can be, you're delusional. You can be acquaintances yes, or even coworkers, but "friends", no

• I've got a real problem with this. I can work with women and be professional about it. But on a personal level if I'm giving you attention then I'm giving you attention hoping for more.

• I have always found women to be the problem. I can be just friends with them, they don't seem to be able to be just friends with me.

What Girls Said 1

• Maybe I'm one of those ugly women, but I have lots of guy friends who are really just friends.