Why do people think that democracies are always the best?

Tell that to Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea. Oh and the junta in Thailand and post-arab spring Libya.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I don't think we should generalize here. It is true that a democratic system is not necessarily the best and you're making a good point that perhaps we're just trapped in our own, western-centric view of how things are supposed to be (though I would argue that for example the US is also not really a democracy. It's more and more turning into a plutocracy).
    However, not all countries that you've mentioned actually feel this way. I've talked with people from China and they all seemed quite happy with their government. None of them was like "these fucking bastards trying to tell us what to do!" Now, of course you could argue that they are brainwashed and maybe this could be true a little bit but still I don't think Chinese people would actually DEFEND their government (which many of them do) if it would really treat them so badly. By the way: the same way is also true for "softly communist" systems such as Cuba and the DDR (ex east Germany). People around the world think that East Germany was a Stalinist dictatorship and it's true that many things there weren't so good but if you go to Germany and actually talk to people who lived in the DDR, there will be many who still today say stuff like "I miss the DDR" or "Not everything was perfect but I would still prefer living there and here". Myself being from Switzerland, the only country in the world with direct democracy on a national level, I don't quite understand this view either but hey, everyone's got their own opinions right? Maybe if I had grown up in Cuba or in the DDR, I would have liked it as well.
    But we should also see that this is not true for all dictatorships. If a government is authoritarian but they still care about their citizens (such as China, Cuba or the DDR), the citizens are usually more or less fine with it. However, if an authoritarian government commits hundreds or thousands of human rights' violations every day, I doubt the people like it. I don't think you would find anyone in North Korea who will say to you "The North Korean government is great". Of course they would lie to you because they're scared to be killed but if you could actually take them the South Korea or the US or another safe place, they would all swear about Kim Jong-Un and his government. I think not even Kim Jong-Un himself believes that he's doing great things. He's just doing them because he has a certain role to live up to. If he doesn't play the part of the dictator, someone else will.

What Girls Said 3

• What is democracy really.. there is not one true stable definition for democracy.. And who says that democracy really exists even in those countries stated to adapt democracy.. We ruin a country for a sake of cussing a president.. well my friend, even in democracy people get assassinated over that.. And I am not saying that a dictatorship is a must.. but sometimes that is what it takes to build a country.. KNOW WHERE YOU ARE HEADED BEFORE YOU START A CHANGE..

• Not all people think that obviously... you're generalising

• Are you cereal?

What Guys Said 11

• I don't think democracies are great; too many stupid people. Good thing I live in a Republic because if the U. S. was an actual full blown democracy we would have crumbled.

• Democracy is a flawed system since it is based of mob mentality. Luckily we no longer have mob courts. Currently no democracies exist only republics. A republic is when certain individuals are elected to represent the people and make decisions on their behalf.

What would truly be the best is a meritocracy, but people prefer a corrupt and stupid extrovert over a smart and shy introvert to govern their nation.

• no wonder I love Japan

• If I understand correctly in Japan the National Diet (the name always makes me think of food lol) choose the Prime Minister from any party is that correct?

• i have no clue lol i just think their women are hot

• Because the socialistic view of "everyone is equal", "everyone deserves a decent pay", etc is a naive and utopic thought. Yes, in a perfect world it would be a wishful system - but the world isn't perfect and thus simply not working like this.

• that's good

• What does socialism even have to do with this? There are tons of dictatorships that are not socialist in the least. Also, ever heard anything about democratic socialism?

• www.rightposters.com/.../...ll_democracy_quote.jpg

Well, it appears to work okay most of the time.

• Democracies is far from the best but its the only thing we can bear right now with all this BS about gov'ts taking over

• Cause we wanna have a voice in who rules us? How would you feel if suddenly someone comes and says he's gonna rule over you? Would you like that?
    Sure, people may choose wrong sometimes but they had the choice.

• why would do that fam? hmm mr jiggy thinks.. you get me fam?

• Democracy is the best dude

• Dumb people like to feel important for no good reason.

• The real value of democracy is it produces the maximum of order with the minimum of interference thus creating the maximum prosperity. You can get more order with more interference (oppression) but this results ultimately in less prosperity.

• Yeah but look at how each is handling their governments right now. North Korea is developing nuclear weapons (supposedly). The last person to try and develop them, other than Russia, and the u. s., was hitler

• what about China, France, and the UK?

• China is a separate story. France is a complete democracy and is one of the best countries in the world. U. K. is a Constitutional Monarchy. They are run democratically but still have their Queen. They rule the seas, have one of the best navys in the world

• navy's*