Why does my mom do this?

Like if we go to a store and we're buying clothes for me sometimes when I pick something out that I like she sometimes is like "No that's ugly" or "That's old fashion". I mean sometimes I feel like I can't express myself because she don't like the clothes I pick out for myself. But I'm also like that with her too because the clothes she pick out for me, I don't like, but sometimes I do like the clothes though. The clothes she don't like is mostly t-shirts and not pants. So, why do my mom do this? She doesn't say it in a mean way though but not in a funny way either.

Most Helpful Girl

• With you being 'Under18,' and mom being a Prude about Wear and Tear here, dear, Your tastes Naturally Would be Quite different, Compard to the Styles and Smiles mom used to wear and most likely Does.
    I have seen many of the fashions that hang on a hanger today and some of it looks like it either belongs on a curtain rod or in the trash bin.
    My mom always has had Great fashion Flavor, I am proud of the clothes she even still lets me borrow. However, with you and your mom, try and get on the same page so you both can come to some Compromise and keep this Pinkie swear Of... What to wear.
    Good luck. xx

• Thanks

• You're welcome :)

• :)) xxoo

What Guys Said 2

• I agree moms should let teens make up their own decision when it comes to buying clothes i know all this too well but my mom never ridicule us kids on what clothes we wanted to buy ,

• My aunt does this sometimes when she wants to buy me something. I just tell her as kind as I can that I dont like her and I prefer to buy something I like. Yes it sounds egoistic as she is the one buying to me but she has to know my taste too.

What Girls Said 4

• You have to start shopping by yourself or with friends.
    Although my Mom didn't say those exact things when I was a teen she wasn't open to let me explore my fashion.
    When I pointed at tank tops or things , she would say "no, you dont wear stuff like that."
    I wanted to change my style because I was tired of wearing clothes way bigger in size , and ugly panties.

• I get that too sometimes.
    If she'd pick something... And I'd dislike. She can buy it, but I won't wear it :p

• omg, my mom is like that too! whenever i wear shirts and jeans she would say, you look like staying at home. why don't you wear more presentable. period. Maybe that's what your mom also wanted. Though sometimes it's funny that i hear her say, this style is in right now. like what? it's true tho. haha! but she choose clothes that aren't really my style. So half of my closet are not use regularly.

Now, if she hasn't bought yet the clothes that I don't like much, i'd stop her bec it just a waste of space and money tho i appreciate her intention. The only problem is when i get home and found out that she bought clothes w/o me.

• Maybe she has an idea in her head about what you need to look like.