What do you think?

I've noticed some questions and myTakes arguing about how teenagers are too inexperienced and young to understand anything, and I know some people disagree with that. I read one comment where a guy said if it were a late teen then he might be able to hold a conversation with them, politically or whatever... yet what about those kids who graduate high school at 11? Would you still consider them too immature to talk to, too young? What if they were experts in political fields, or science, doctoring, would you be able to talk to them as you would an adult?

Most Helpful Guy

• I find this whole under 18 thing a bit weird - It is like people forget they were once under 18 themselves - Granted maybe on the sex questions they might be a bit inexpierenced but I usually skip those because they are boring - In all other topics I think anyone of any age can answer any question. I have been impressed by most of the under 18s on the site so far.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some teens are very mature for their age.
    But what I have noticed about some of them is that However , what I have noticed is that some of them sound rather rehearsed.
    They give mature views on topics based off of what they think is socially correct.
    But what they do lack is the actual experience which gives answers more value and substance.
    The experience value which they lack is something you can find in someone a little older (unless that teen has been through a lot).

But regardless of that fact , I treat everyone here equally with respect and value them for answering.

• *But what I have noticed about some of them is that they sound rather rehearsed (correction)

What Guys Said 4

• There are actually really young people on here who are giving really good advice. Yes, I'd be able to talk to them as an adult, if they seem mature.

• Teenagers a the best in solving most problems. I found a survey saying in most social situations teens pick up on a lot more than any other age group

Since we are a socail species this must be an inportant attribute

I believe the older you get the more ignorant you also become. So I would listen and take teenagers seriously but most won't

• Some people gain from age and some do not. There are lots of adults who can't have adult conversations. By and large though, youths are indeed callow.

• That is a great question. Some topics shouldn't be for kids because it may destroy their future.

What Girls Said 3

• Sometimes you can have grown up conversations with teenagers, young adults and even children. I think a lot of the comments and advice on here is because we have grown up, we see the problems younger people have and remember the same struggles that as an adult we find small and trivial. when we were younger they seemed like the end of the world and the fact was they weren't. I know when I tell a younger person that they will understand when they are older, it is not to be condescending, it is to reassure them that 'yeah its tough right now, but one day it will feel tiny and small and you won't even think about it!'
    I hope that every young person who reads things like this will understand rather than think we dont get it at all, with a bit of luck we will help them realise that life is this huge place and growing up and school etc is very important.

• You are comparing an average teenager to a prodigy. That isn't even a close comparison. Most prodigies wouldn't want to have a conversation with anyone that wasn't as smart as them let alone adults on a forum website that primarily focuses on sex and dating.
    Most adults don't want to have a conversation with a teenager because no matter how book smart they are, experience in life changes how you apply that knowledge.
    :-)

• When I say that teenagers are difficult to take seriously, it's not because they cannot be insightful. It's more that they lack emotional maturity and life experience. I have noticed that most teenagers speak in absolutes - this doesn't often hold true for the real world.