Do you still think the Gender Pay Gap exists?

According to sources and statistics women make approx 70 cents for every dollar a man makes. Sometimes meaning a woman will make far less than a man whilst having the same job.

Remember 70 cents and 1 dollar are AVERAGES. That's roughly 20% difference.

HOWEVER, this, being an average, is not enough to suggest a "gap". You are taking the "Average earnings of all men" MINUS "Average earnings of all women".

This average, i. e "the gender wage gap", does NOT account for differences occupations, education and hours per week (only a few examples).

Take doctors for instance. If you compared the pay between female doctors and male doctors you'd clearly be able to see a pretty massive pay gap... HOWEVER, this changes when you dig deeper.

Women, in comparison to men, are far more likely to enter low paying specialities - Hence the mighty difference in pay.

You can come across other similar circumstances, but vice versa, in schools and colleges.

So yes, the pay gap is a MYTH.

Do you still think the Gender Pay Gap exists?

0|0
1|2

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it has to do with maternity leave. A woman will be paid less in the months leading up to her leaving

0|0
    0|0
    • I've researched that men work longer hours than women and that women tend to work more part time than men, which leads on to what you have said about maternity.

• Not really there separate things. A woman can work the same job and same hours as a man, but when she is approaching maternity leave she will get a dock in pay.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I don't. I was going to use the exact points you just mentioned. I will elaborate on what you said.

Men are more likely to enter mathematics, science-based and engineering fields, where as women are more likely to enter social work, education and fine arts, which are far low paying professions compared to men's.

So, of COURSE a general gender wage gap exists-Because women tend to choose occupations which pay less in the first place. But if you compare a male teacher to a female teacher, a male doctor to a female doctor, etc, there is little to no difference.

It's just more feminist propaganda with no truth behind it.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, Feminists are usually all bark and no substance!

• @Asker The biggest problem with them (and some other people), is they purposely throw out a misleading statistic to "prove" their point. Anyone with half a brain can figure out the gender wage gap myth.

It should also be noted women make less a year because they're the ones who get pregnant AND they often have to take maternity leave for their baby (making no money during the leave, except for specific careers.)

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 1