How sensitive are you to humor?

How easily do you get offended with jokes? Can you take a racist or a sexist joke? Or a joke about death or a disease? Or would you get offended even at a small joke?
Rate your "sensitivity level", 100% being extremely sensitive.

• 0%
  • 10-20%
  • 30-40%
  • 50%
  • 60-70%
  • 80-90%
  • 100%
Interesting how only girls voted for 50%+, can't say I'm surprised though.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a dark sense of humour and don't get offended really ever, but I do believe that some jokes can go a little too especially if it meant to be mean. Can't really think of any at the moment though. I usually use a lot of sarcasm to get through my days.

• I agree that some people use jokes to say something mean and say it's a joke as an excuse, those aren't funny.

Most Helpful Guy

• I mean humour's humour and that's what it always is, although bollocks to betsy boop you can't say anything on here.

• I agree, we should see the funny side of everything, and you're right, you can't say anything on here without offending someone (that's one of the reasons why I made this question, see how many people actually say the truth haha)

• I find some ruder jokes crude and not that funny. Don't get my knickers in a knot over it though :P

• Well, there's people that don't know how to make it a joke and actually sound offensive. But if the joke is well created, I won't get offended.

What Girls Said 12

• I said 10-20%. As long as it is meant as a joke, I can take it. If it was purposely intended to hurt me, then obviously no. But yeah, I've had all kinds of sexist and racist jokes thrown at me all the time and I laugh if it's funny. Half the time, I return an even more crude one back! Laughter is infectious after all.

• Yeah, "joke battles" are the best, when you're joking about each other haha comeback after comeback.

• One of friends, the best shit talker I know, when things get a little too real, he always eventually goes, "Whoa there. The next time you talk that kind of shit to me, you better spit in m face and call me a bitch!" And it gets me every fucking time. If you laugh too long without a rebuttal, you lose... The bastard.

• There's a huge difference between a joke and being a cold hearted moron. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

• Depends on the joke. First off - is it ACTUALLY funny? Second - is the joke mocking the shittiness of the thing, or is it mocking victims?

• Well yeah, it always depends on the joke. Some are just insults disguised as a joke, but that aren't meant to be funny, just offensive. Those aren't funny to me.

• I find that a lot of the time, people like to use "jokes" as a way to just get away with saying whatever dumb racist, sexist, homophobic vitriol they want to spew. That offends me. I mean, I can take it... but I'll dish it back tenfold and won't mask my opinion as a joke. It's annoying, though, because then they'll respond with "chill, I was just joking". Well, no, you fucking weren't.

Any subject matter can be funny if the joke is well crafted. But most of us aren't professional comedians and should probably stay away from making overly controversial jokes, since they'll probably fall flat. I don't get offended when someone attempts to actually make a joke on a controversial subject and fails, but I do judge them on their lame attempt at humour.

• I voted 60-70%
    I really do not appreciate sexist/homophobic/racist jokes. It just normalizes prejudice behaviour. It's just antagonistic and not nice. :/

• Sounds like you are a pretty funny person to be around when you take offense to more than 50% of humour

• Context and intent is really important and what counts. Freedom of Speech is important, even if it might offend some people. If you start silencing one aspect, you start silencing similar ones as well. It is a slippery slope. (Emotional) Safety and freedom are contradictions.

This here explained the issue about it quite well: "The image people have of comedians staring defiantly over a stationary line of good taste is simply inaccurate. We don’t approach this line, put our toes over it arrogantly and then scamper back to safety. The line doesn’t exist. The correct image for people to have is one of a circle, with a comedian standing in the middle of it, surrounded by a myriad of races, religions, social beliefs, sacred cows and political ideologies. And in these groups are endless numbers of sub groups and personal boundaries. There is simply no way to consistently do the type of comedy that addresses these things without upsetting somebody.

• No matter which direction you turn to aim the joke, someone is getting hit. And while the person who has been hit jumps up and down and exaggerates their injuries, everyone else in the circle is telling them to shut up and learn to take a joke. Until they themselves get hit."

Source: diarrheaworldstarhiphop.tumblr.com/.../jim-norton-trevor-noah-isnt-the-problem-you

You might also want to read: meanttobehappy.com/.../

• Maybe 30... I'm okay with sexist and racist to a degree... but some "jokes" directed straight at an individual piss the hell outta me

• It depends on the joke, but usually I'm sensitive. I can't stand racist/xenophobic/homophobic/sexist and death jokes.

• Can't stand humor. I hate when people say things. I wish the chicken NEVER crossed the road.

• As long as it's a joke I wouldn't be offended by anything.

• I'm with @LovesTVDx

I voted 60-70 percent, but it also matters how bad the joke is...

• I am pretty sarcastic but I also have a limit.

• I don't take offense to any joke, so 0%

• depends on the subject...

• Sexist, stereotypes about race, tragic historic events (like wars or terrorism)...

• well the line has to be drawn somewhere

like i dont believe religion for example should be ridiculed because its sacred to some people, and mother/father jokes (hate ones) are not ok at all too and many topics i think are not to be joked about because they are kinda big deal
      unless you are sure the person is fine with it

and sexism, well i get its just a little joke... but the hate has been over whelming lately it;s not even funny anymore. i cried before actually because of posts here, i was just so done and the "jokes" kept coming and coming
      i guess i just became sensitive to them over time

im fine with little stuff though , not 100% sensitive

• oh and rape !!
      that is like my ultimate fear and i truly believe its one of the worst things a person can go through and a lot of people HAVE been through it

rape jokes to me are 100% not acceptable...

What Guys Said 17

• I don't get offended easily. I even make and laugh about jokes about blind people and that's really not self-understanding since I am almost completely blind myself. But I believe that's one the best signs that you're a mature and smart person: if you don't just laugh about other people but you also have the ability to laugh about yourself (and I do that regularly).
    For me, it's not so much the topic of a joke but rather the joke itself. If a joke is good, I don't care how dark it is. However, If somebody makes, say, a racist joke that is really stupid or shallow or simply unfunny, I tend to hate it. In other words: it's okay in my opinion to make fun about sensitive topics but it should be an intelligent type of humor, it shouldn't just be insulting people.

• I agree. Using jokes just to hurt others isn't funny.
      I also laugh about myself every day, and I think those who know how to laugh at themselves are less sensitive to dark humor.

• 0% I'd be more likely to make the joke.

• Given that jokes I find hilarious others are horrified by I must really not care much. There is a limit but it's more when it's fun at actual people. Groups that's fine I know they'll be making jokes etc about whatever 'group' I fit in, I take none of it seriously or myself so I've really no problem with virtually all jokes. Dark and shock humour is my favourite in honesty. Nothing more joyful than seeing the smile on someone's face dissapear and the look in their eyes that says they're loosing all respect they had for you.

• you would have been better off listing the type of jokes that offend people and having them select the "least offensive: thing that they find offensive. Everybody is going to look at themselves differently on a percentage scale that has no defining characteristics

• It wouldn't really bother me unless someone was joking around about something that I have actually had a traumatizing or sad experience with. Otherwise I could care less, my own humor is pretty dry/deadpan and sarcastic so lol.

• 10-20

The only jokes I do not like are jokes made about my mother.

Call me a momma's boy all you want, I don't give a fuck.

• Throw any joke at me.. I laugh at the darkest stuff, you name it.
    I'll hint a few..

- A famous date in the last 20 years.
    - Deaths at a race
    - WWII

You can literally say anything offensive to me, I won't feel a thing.

• Everything, literally everything, should be open to be created comedy about. If that stops being possible, we're in a very dangerous situation, socially.

• I'm not sensitive at all to joking.. NOTHING should be off limits to humor in my opinion.

• Black humor, yes. Death and disease can affect anyone. Racist or sexist or anything like that, no. Those things are aimed to belittle a specific group of people.

• 0% fam... you get me fam?

• Almost nothing offends me as long as it is told in the right way

• Next to nothing but a lot of people are:)

• People are hypersensitive turbop*ssies these days. Say what you will, I am not offended.

• Agreed, people are too damn sensitive, it seems that today you can't make a joke without getting a bunch of people offended.

• I'm not sensitive about most subjects, but illness and rape are not funny subjects.

• I just remind myself it's a joke which isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

• Anyone above 0% should leave the internet immediately.

I'm 0% because I go on the chans.