If your child was diagnosed with gender identity disorder, what would you do?

Would you encourage the child to transition during childhood? Apparently a child can take hormone blockers to delay puberty. If a male child were to take estrogen during puberty, his body would develop like a girl's. It's easier than waiting until adulthood.
Or would you encourage the child to wait until adulthood to make that decsion? It's a pretty big deal. It changes you permanently and renders you sterile.
Or would you discourage the child from transtioning at all?

• Allow the child to transition socially (dress like the opposite sex, change name, change pronouns) but not physically or hormonally, at least until they are 18
  • Allow the child to transition socially and hormonally during puberty
  • Require the child to wait until they are 18 for any sort of transition
  • Discourage the child from transitioning at all
  • Other (Please explain)
Here is a pretty informative documentary that I found on the subject, if any of you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epDPui27QZQ

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted D), but I guess it's really C) in the end.

I don't see the point of social transition, unless what they want for a high school experience is endless bullying. While I do accept a certain portion of `transgender` people having an actual biological disorder; I think people are trying too desperately to throw males and females into their designated little boxes of "masculinity" and "femininity", and I won't stand for that. Be androgynous maybe, but screw getting yourself killed over something so unimportant.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would make sure they go to a psych for a long time before taking hormones to make sure that's what they want and that they're not just confused because the change is basically permanently and if they regret it later, theyll be fucked.
    After being 100% sure that's what they want, I'll help them transition before puberty. Not letting them take hormones will only make their life way harder than needed. I'm their mom, if I don't support them, who will?

• By the way, if I had kids, I wouldn't raise them following gender roles so if what you said happened, they wouldn't need my permission for a "social transition" because they'd already be dressing the way they want anyways.

What Guys Said 16

• There was an episode of law and order svu where the main female character was previously a man and her parents pretty much disowned her when she was making that transition. I realize it's just tv and I could understand why the parents would react like that, especially the dad considering that was his first son and all, but I'd wanna have a great relationship with my kid (s) the same way I have with mine now so, I'd say I'd support them. I wouldn't want them to go through with transition, but I wouldn't want them resenting me for the rest of their life.

• I would wait until they got until like 16-18, And if they still felt so strongly about it i would help them change.

I'll be fucking dammed if im taking a 10 year old son to get his dick cut off and fake tit implants when it could be possible he's just going through a phase at that age, I'd want to wait until they were mature and could be 100% confident in their descision.

And if they were sure, Then fuck yeah id support them through that.

• I would encourage my child to embrace whatever gender he or she was born as, as we were born that way for a reason. And at the end of the day no amount of drugs or surgery can change the fact that on a genetic/DNA level we are either a man or a women and that is what we should stay as, mutilating yourself certainly won't and only causes more confusion.

Which is why I don't like or agree with transgender or anything associated with it.

• hummm... i'd ask him/her if he/she's 100% sure to be a female/male later in life... and if he/she said yeah then let's do it.

actually da earlier he/she gets to transition da more successful it'll be!

• I'd do what it takes for my child to be happy. I would raise them without gender roles anyway so I'd support and love them no matter what.

• No, unless the child is genetically messed up.
    what kind of logic is that? If a man believes that his arm is not his and he want's to cut it off obviously we would get him help and not cut his arms off.
    People who have trans-gender surgery have the same suicidal rates as Auschwitz Jews. Even John Hopkins stopped doing it because of the suicide rates of trans-genders after surgery.
    Here is an article written by a gay man about the dangers of Trans-gender surgeries: www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...r-gap_n_1874742.html

• Well, I know why they are transgender so I would just accept that's the way their brain is and I would try to transition him into a girl.

• Thats incredibly hard to decide. It's one of those questions that make fall in "dunno" world.

Im inclined to giv the child the hability to decide his future... but i fear he give up after start treatments.

I would search, all over the world, for specialist doctors to give m answers about what may be the truth behind my son.

• I would try and get professional help for them.

• I'd tell him/her "look in between your legs, what do you see? those genitals identify who you are".
    The whole I'm a boy but feel like a girl and vice versa is bs.

• I'd let the child be whatever gender they wanted to be

• Make sure it's not just a phase. That'd probably take about a year to be completely sure

If proven, I'd start the transition immediately

• Probably option A but I'd allow them to take blockers during puberty.

• I would take a look at his/her anatomy and go with that

• If its a boy I'd cut his wiener off with a meat cleaver to save a lot of money.

• He'd bleed to death, so I suppose you would be saving even more money than you anticipated.

• Discourage. That shit wack

What Girls Said 8

• Socially, I don't care. I mean, regardless of whether my child was diagnosed with gender identity disorder, I wouldn't expect my kids to conform to traditional gender expectations. If they'd prefer that I use different pronouns or call them by a different name, I don't see it as a big deal.

In terms of hormones, I'm not completely sure. I would want to make an informed decision and do what was in the best interest of my child. I would need to do more research, talk to my child's doctor/therapist, talk to my child, etc.

• I would engage with your child.

My gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender (GLBT) child requires and deserves the same level of care, respect, information, and support as non-GLBT children. I would ask questions, listen, empathise, share and just be there for my child.

• I would allow them to dress how they wanted, be called what they wanted, and be considered any gender they wanted, however I would not allow them to do the surgery or go on hormones until they were 18 cuz I don't think they can really make a true decision at that age-they may regret it. If they still feel strong about it by the time they are 18 and can do what they want with their own money then they can do it then.

• I would support my child 110%. However, I would need to make sure that this is what my child wants. I would also take them to therapists, and have them guide me through the process, so my child and I won't struggle so much.

• I'd allow them, but not hormonally until they are 18.

Having bad parents in a situation like that can seriously fuck someone up.
    Unconditional love, folks.

• love him or her unconditionally

• I voted other. I would freak out. But after that I would just listen to him/her and tend to do as they say.

• i'd help them through it with the complete treatment. i dont think any kid would have a real phase like that, 9 times outta 10 its gotta be serious. that way they can have a real, troublefree adolescence, with boyfriends/girlfriends, very few emotional struggles based on their physical appearance being different than what's in their mind.