Have you noticed that people tend to discredit statistics that disagree with their point of view?

Like if a certain statistic offends them or challenges their point of view, they will just write it off as bullshit. However if a statistic supports their viewpoint then that statistic is totally legit.

so essentially the only valid statistics are those which support that specific person's argument

have you noticed this?

• I've noticed this
  • I haven't noticed this
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• People tend to be more critical of studies that oppose their point of view than those that support their point of view.

A big problem too, I think, is that many people do not really understand statistics, and many people don't have much education/experience with understanding and critiquing research papers.

Also, research is often presented in misleading and/or sensationalized ways in the media, and it can be difficult to gain access to the actual research paper (since many are behind paywalls).

What Girls Said 5

• I have noticed some people point out some statistics to support thir opinion but can't prove that these statistics are genuine. How do we know that these statistics are real. I could say that women are more intelligent than men because 90% of females got to university where as only 4% of men do. I read this on madeupbullshit. com. I think you would have every right to discard my statistics on this occasion and I think that this is the case for a lot of statistics I see thrown around on here. Too many present their opinions as being facts on this site.

• its the way of life...

there are 3 types of lies...

Lies...

Damned lies..

and statistics..

• Most people 'love' it when we 'confirm' that what they believe is the truth.. -rolls eyes-

• With liberals yeah

• If the stat is shit then what can you say.

What Guys Said 7

• It's called confirmation bias. People count the hits but ignore the misses. This is why I don't have super deep unflinching convictions. I think knowledge is fluid and can always change with new evidence and discoveries. We usually say it's admirable or strong when people have powerful convictions towards their beliefs and that they will never be swayed but I see this as an ABSOLUTE fault in someone's character. I see the person as standoffish and slightly weak minded if they can't even entertain the possibly that the convictions or beliefs that they hold dear could be absolutely false either now or in the future with new evidence. That's the whole foundation of science. You shouldn't be emotionally invested in cold hard facts.

• i also noticed no one gives a damn about other's viewpoints whether they're credible or nonsense.(including this one itself )

• I have noticed this, but believe it or not: The FIRST rule taught in Statistics is "Statistics are lies". Meaning that they can be biased or not representative of an accurate picture. Therefore many people wouldn't subject to statical data. It's not always purely that they want their opinion heard. That's what I believe.

• And that applies to ACTUAL statistics, of which there are surprisingly few on the internet. Most people just see infographics or partisan blogs that poorly summarize (and often deliberately skew) real statistics.

• of course they do that, humans are very stubborn animals

• You can make statistics say whatever you want. It's called "massaging the figures".

• As Pat Moynihan said, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."

On the other hand nothing is so easily used to mislead as statistics, except perhaps polls.

• "There are lies, damned lies and statistics."
    --Mark Twain