Do you think citizens need to keep the police accountable to the law?

Do you agree with what this man did? Do you think more citizens need to do this so the police truly live up to that ideal of protecting and serving us? Do you think the police officer reacted well? Would the cop have a different reaction if the guy wasn't white?

• People need to let cops do their jobs
  • All government employees should serve the people and need to be kept in check by the citizenry
  • Other (explain why)
I'm updating this question because some people have a problem processing information. Okay. I respect the service public servants like firefighters and police officers do. My asking this question and the ones in the description don't reflect my personal opinions in any way. I'm simply curious how others interpret the video. I like to pick people's brains that's all. I'm only referring to public servants WHO ARE BREAKING THE LAW. No sweeping statements or generalizatons.

Most Helpful Girl

• Voted for All government employees should serve the people and need to be kept in check by the citizenry.

Police are normal people like us. They can make mistakes but their mistakes can cost a lot more than a regular people. So they need to be kept in check like anybody else.
    Just because they have power it does not mean we should not control them.

The idea of power is sicking me to be honest. People can do many evil things when they have the power. So including even the president; everyone needs to be in check.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• Yes.. No one is above the law

• "People need to let cops do their jobs" - that's all I'm going to say.

• I'm neither against nor in favour of what he did.

What Guys Said 11

• Watched the video from start to end, here is my take on it:
    The guy and the cop were actually quite reasonable in how they went about this. I often look up on youtube people posting videos trying to beat the cop at the law (idk, it is something I find interesting) and more often then not, it is the citizen spouting a bunch of random nonsense laws as they use fancy lingo. Then they get all huffy and puffy as the cops get all nervous and try to contain their rage in a slight smile. When this happens, I usually end up taking the cops side, because the citizens are basically just being whiny children trying to just make the cop life's a burden. Sometimes the citizen is making a legit complaint like a "no, that is illegal." But often times it is just a guy being a smartass.

However, this video is pretty cool because the citizen had a legit complaint and the cop took it well. Neither side blew up into a big yell match and the matter was resolved peacefully. This is how I believe that citizens should keep police accountable. Maybe they don't need to pull over the cop, but they should know the law and be educated to be able to tell the cop what is actually right and wrong. They shouldn't let the cop walk all over them, but they also shouldn't be one of the guys spouting off random "rights" to complain to the cop.

I try to stay away from too much politics or hot topics on this site, but here I go:
    And I don't think the cop would have a different reaction if the guy was black. People are forming a negative stereotype of the cop, fueled by media "burn-at-the-stake" attacks on cops, where black people get shot or what not. Sure, some cops are like that, but I don't think the racism is as deep as people like to say it is. However, no matter what I really say about this matter, I will most likely be dismissed since I am white. The youtube videos I've seen with the cops have been the same, no matter the race. I've seen good black people tell the cops like it is with law, and I've seen bad. I've seen good white people tell the cops like it is with the law, and I've seen bad. The cops reaction is usually the same to both, no matter race. I think we are making this into a race issue when the issue is not really the race.

Well, that is my honest opinion. Hopefully I won't be burned at the stake for this but I am open to some healthy discussion.

• I like that you watched the video man. It isn't like I think all cops are bad or anything. My personal opinion is similar to yours in the sense that I think if a cop is breaking the law it should be up to us to notify them. I don't advocate harassment or anything though.

• Hell yeah. Did you see the off duty detective in Medford last week? Tried to stop a guy and didn't ID himself as a cop. Kid got scared and started driving away thinking it was random guy looking to fight. Cop told the kid "I'll put a hole in your head." Unbelievable.
    http://youtu.be/JKuMhpb1gOI

• Lol dude I just watched that movie yesterday. But yeah if people break the law they should be accountable.

• You know what i think?

People need to stop fucking hating on cops and treating them like shit and making their jobs x500000 harder then need be, Because a small handful of cops abused their power.

At the end of the day, These guys are there to protect us, And 99.999% of the time they do just that and do a good job of it.

So, No, I don't think we need to be cunts and waste their time demanding to see their I. D and shit... just let them do their jobs.

• Even if they're breaking the law at the time?

• I didn't down vote you by the way and I'm sorry if I responded harshly. I worded the update in an immature fashion too.

• its fine dude, Like i said, I've seen a lot of your stuff on here and i like what you normally have to say, So i was just a little bit taken off guard by what you said.

Though, Now you have explained it to me what you meant by it, I feel better about it.

All the best mate.

• hell yes they ALL ( government employees ) should be held to the same standards as the rest of the population , heck they are not god that are better than us

• I share the same ideals. I don't care if you're rich or poor, in the public or private sector, you should be held to the same law as everyone else.

• it sux donkey nuts that you see cops talking on their cells and texting almost every day , but if they see you its a huge azz fine. its like the laws are for the citizens but they are exempt... how does that crap work again

• I missed the news bulletin that said my azz stinks but theirs smells like fresh baked bread..

• Every government reflects the people it governs. Otherwise it couldn't survive.

This person is trying to deal with the symptoms, rather than the cause.

• I voted C.

People need to let cops do their jobs AND all government employees should serve the people and need to be kept in check by the citizenry. They aren't mutually exclusive. I'll watch the video later and get back to you on that.

• that video was awesome. that dude is my hero

• for People need to let cops do their jobs.. you get me fam?

• The police serves you therefore they must be held accountable.

• Yes of course dude that's what dashcams are for and plus you are allowed to record the police its legal at least where I am from. Someone needs to police the police.

• I remember this. This is old. The cops are here to serve us. We aren't here to serve them.

• It's the "right" and "liberal" thing to say that most of the time the cops do their jobs right. How about holding them accountable when they don't though? If you do something illegal even if it's the one time you do it are you held accountable? You should be.

• And who is the law for? And why was it put in place? To protect who?

• And why do we pay the police their salaries?