Do Europeans use American companies like Netflix, Amazon, Uber, Apple and Google? Or are there European equivalents?

Most Helpful Girl

• Netflix and Amazon: Are not available here
    Uber: Used to be available here, but the taxi-drivers decided to protest against it, so now there's no Uber here anymore
    Apple: Some people I know use their products
    Google: Yes, fortunately I still can use it

• I don't get why Portugal can't use amazon even if it's the one in the UK or not. My boyfriend tried to see if he could get like a Kindle from there. Sadly nope. :(

• Yes, I don't get it either. I would like to use it.
      It's always the same, the things that are available in other countries, are not here. It's annoying.
      @Mustachekitteh

Most Helpful Guy

• It's very different from country to country, you can't just generalize (Europe is not one big country like America ;-)). For example, German people use quite a lot of US-American brands and companies. It's also a place where you can find tons of American fast food chains (just to give you an example). Germany (particularly west Germany) has been highly influenced by American culture since the end of world war two - both in positive, as well as in negative aspects. And I would say in Britain people probably also use a lot of US-American companies considering British and American culture are similar and Britain is also under a very strong cultural influence from America.
    In Switzerland, we tend to be less influenced by American culture. We also tend to have a very "slow" culture (something I personally dislike), which means that the Swiss culture takes forever until it adopts something new. For example if something is trendy in the US, it usually takes around 5 years to become a big phenomenon in Europe, However, even if it is trendy in the rest of Europe, it usually takes another 5 years until it becomes a big thing in Switzerland (at which point Americans have already forgotten this used to be trendy once).
    - Google: I've read that about 2,1 billion people use google, which is almost a third of the world's population. Google is used almost everywhere.
    - Amazon: Yeah, we use that too
    - Uber: Definitely not.
    - Netflix: Nope.
    - Apple: Yes, but not as heavily.

And no, there are no equivalents for most of these American companies. At least not in my country. The reason for this is quite simple: America has a population of 310 million people. We have a population of 8 million. Becoming a big tech company in this kind of environment is virtually impossible, especially because the American companies are already so strong. I'm sure big countries such as Germany or France also have their own companies who provide certain things (for example something like Amazon) but it's hard for them to survive because most people would rather purchase their things at Amazon. It's a very scary process that is happening both nationally and internationally: the big fish are eating up more and more of the small fish until a whole geographical regions is dominated by a few, very large, very rich and powerful companies. In America, this is already very much the case. Wherever you go, you see chains. Whether it is restaurants or music stores or clothing stores... it's all chains.

What Girls Said 3

• Netflix is not exactly popular in Europe. It's pretty new and till last winter Netflix wasn't available in many major European countries.
    What's Uber?
    I think amazon and Google are pretty international. They both offer sites for specific european countries. Like amazon. de and google. fr
    Apple isn't as popular in Europe as in the USA.

• we use that omg we're not cave animals

• Pretty sure they do.

What Guys Said 7

• We use Google, Amazon and Apple. I've heard of netflix before, but I don't know how many people here use it. I've never heard of Uber before.

• It probably depends on each European country, but here in the UK we use Netflix, Amazon, Apple and Google out of that list.

• of course.. They're global

• -from the UK
    All of those are available and widely used ^_^

• Google yeah amazon i know some people netflix i know about but i dont know people who use it... apple of course... but i just talking about portugal

• These companies are pretty much global

• yep.. EU google.