How do I get my dad to stop smoking?

I don't live with my dad. My sister told me he smokes, and I didn't know. Well, she convinced me to tell him to stop smoking and I told him that. From that day he didn't smoke in front of me cause I'm his favourite child or whatever.
Anyways, now he doesn't smoke in front of me but when I'm not there he smokes.
So. What do I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Leave him alone.

He's a grown man; You can't 'make' a grown man do anything.

• So I shouldn't even try to help him?

• Well, if you have nothing to say, don't say anything at all.

He knows it's unhealthy, he knows that you care, but if he doesn't want to quit then he's not going to quit. You aren't going to be the big hero that 'saves' your Dad. I can guarantee that the reason he hasn't quit isn't because he's too proud to ask for help, lol.

Just don't pick up the habit of smoking, yourself.

• You are right.

What Guys Said 5

• Grab hold of his cigarettes and say to him face to face
    "Dad these are cancer sticks your digging your own grave"
    than slam them down on counter or table.

• Uhm... shouldn't that be his decision and his decision only? He's an adult, he knows what he's doing and it's his life. Seems very intrusive of you to try forcing him to quit smoking.

• So I shouldn't try to stop him?

• No, I don't think you should. My mom smokes and I don't try stopping her. She's 60 years old, she knows it's dangerous, she wants to do it anyway... fair enough. It's her life, not mine. In the end, she should be able to decide how she wants to live her life and the same goes for anyone else including your dad. Wouldn't you hate it if somebody was constantly trying to change you and your lifestyle? Wouldn't you think "why can I just live MY life the way I want to live it?"?

• Pour gasoline on his cigarettes

• Well since he's an adult and you're a minor which means you don't have nothing to worry about other than school, he has things to stress about like bills etc and cigarettes are something to help him out

• Smoking is harmful.

• Yes it's not your place

• I'm his daughter.

• Be won't stop unless he really wants to

• I want him to stop destroying his health.

• @Kiler1000 : it'll be a one time thing, to teach him a lesson.

• fine. but, remember why you're doing it!

What Girls Said 1

• Tell him how you feel... That you love him... That you want him to be healthy and live long... It hurts you to see him do that to himself. Plus it's a waste of money.