Would you support a female draft in the military?

I've seen many mixed opinions on this and want to see what most people think. If you heard that females would soon be required to sign up for the draft, would you be for it or against it? Give all your reasons why.

I do know there are people who are against the idea of the draft in general but I'm excluding the removal of a draft altogether from this question. That's a whole other topic.

• Females should be forced to sign up for the draft
  • Females should not be forced to sign up for the draft
Also feel free to voice your opinion on how you'd prefer a pregnancy be handled if a woman was selected for one.

Most Helpful Girl

• So... who exactly is supposed to take care of the children? Are there supposed to be children with both of their parents drafted off to war? :/

• The army won't draft single dads, so the same rule applies. If a woman is drafted, they wouldn't draft her husband, and vice versa.

• Oh for God's sake, you wouldn't be on GaG if you didn't want to hear some random strangers opinion. And for crying out loud, I told you, in the event that children have only one parent or guardian who isn't in the armed forces, the government will not allow said parent to join the military, regardless of whether he is drafted, or he or she enlists/is made an officer. Of course, had you read what I had to say before you dismissed it, you would have known that.
      I didn't get anywhere past two sentences until you called what I had to say "ridiculous", and asserted that I was self-absorbed, when all I was doing was answering questions you asked in your opinion. Nothing in my first two posts was offensive, merely facts I was laying out in hopes of waylaying any confusion you may have had, and you attacked me for it.

• @Nice_Guy_Last You're talking too much and I don't have enough interest in your mouth to actually spend my time reading all of that. I read the first sentence then immediately got bored with your whiny, pushy tone. You're right, I partially come to GAG to hear a random stranger's opinion AT REQUEST. Did I request your insight? Did I ask this question personally inviting you to come babble excessively leaving essays on my post? No. I came to this post answering a question then you took it upon yourself to invite and include yourself to my ANSWER. Not everyone thinks your mouth is important and cares to be bothered with your pathetic, ridiculous inability to humbly accept that not everyone is going to agree with you and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the severity of the war.

I mean, If it were a war between nations, And the male population had been decimated by war, and there was literally mostly females left to defend the country, then yes, i do believe women should be conscripted to defend the country until it capitulates.

Look at WW2 for an example, At the start of the war, The soviet union only conscripted men, then as the Germans plunged deep into Russia and were at the gates of Stalingrad / Moscow, The Russians conscripted women to defend as they needed the extra manpower, and women continued to fight for russia until the end of the war
    www.forgottenweapons.com/.../...ners-1024x750.jpeg

But, If the war is far away, and plenty of men are available, they should not. If you send women to war, you are effectively destroying your ability to replace the men you are loosing in war. I know some think ''Oh, it dosent mater, it will take at least 18 years until that kid can fight anyway'', but. Look at the Afghan / Iraq war, Thats been going on for 15 years now. In 3 years, kids who were concieved at the start of the war will be ready to fight.

So, No, I do not think women should be put on the draft, Though, if the war wages onto the home country, then yes, they should be conscripted.

What Girls Said 11

• I don't think anyone should be forced to sign up for a draft. That's just mean.

• I don't support it because I don't think that anyone should be forced to be drafted, it should be a choice. If men absolutely have to be drafted, then yes, women should be drafted too.

• How 'bout let's not have a draft and stay with the all-volunteer military.

• But if their is a declared war?

• I live in a democracy. If the Congress wants to declare a war but the people don't want to fight it, I think the Congress should be out of luck. When the U. S. is seriously threatened (Pearl Harbor, September 11th) people have flocked to sign up.

• That's not how it works in a war if they need soldiers they can not rely on just the volunteers if they did that we'd lose the war especially agaisnt a nation with a massive numerical advantage over us who is and or drafting as well. And then well we get invaded, in times of war we don't have a choice.

They only draft when necessary anyway.

Also the military didn't really need to draft during WWII because it was a time full of patriotic young men wiling to do what was necessary for the safety of the country and the world.

• They should have the option. I guess if they are in for it, they should be tough to handle sexual harassment and bullying by the assholes in the dept.

• Lol I only said should not because I don't want to, but I think it's equal to make females sign up.

• Picked B because I think no one should be forced; and I'm against the US military because they don't even fight for the country. They just invade others and attack civilans.

• IF there is a draft tho, then yeah women should be forced to sign up. That's actually how it works in the country I live in. People are no longer forced to sign up but some decades ago, you had to as soon as you turned 17.

• I do not support because noone should be forced

• I don't think anyone should be "forced" to sign up for the draft, but it's only fair. If a man has to then so should a woman. They want equality, right? :)

• I don't want a draft in general. Plenty of people already go to the military for benefits.

• Wow most guys voted for yes. If this was to happen; Is anyone thinking of the children that are left at some households?

• Yes, I am. They wouldn't leave children without their parents. There is a rule that if a couple has children under the age of 18, only one of them is allowed to be in the service, even if both wanted to be. So, if a man and a woman, or two women, or two men, had children, and a draft came around, one would be selected, and the other would be left at home.

• If guys are then I don't really see any reason why women shouldn't be drafted.

• Oh wow. Didn't think I'd be the only girl to vote yes. What happened to wanting equality?

• Thank you. Some fair-weathered feminists in here. Soon as responsibility gets tacked onto equal rights, it becomes a ghost town.

• No we must make babies for war

• Are the girl trolls out today? Two upvotes? I can't believe I am saying this, but holy shit, get a feminist in here now.

• @Nice_Guy_Last lmfao

What Guys Said 23

• I'm 100% against the draft but women should have to sign up for selective service just like men do. There are many women who would make better soldiers than I would. I'm not good with firearms and I feel guilty killing insects never mind human beings I have no problem with but my government makes out to be animals with propaganda. Screw that! I don't want to hurt anyone.

I'm actually shocked and surprised by the voting by females on this question so far. A little disappointed too.

• I'm against a draft, but if there's no choice then yeah, they should be forced to just like men. As far as I know they're living in that country and tasting its freedom right? So why can't they be sent to war? Why do I have to fight for you, but you don't fight for me?

I'm not surprised to why only one girl voted yes, a draft won't benefit women...

• Equal rights and duties, everyone is either forced or not, no gender distinction. in my opinion no one should be forced to do anything, it should be an option for everyone, men and women alike. Where I live only males are forced to enlist in the military and I hated when I had to do it.

• So, in a nutshell, no one should be forced, both genders should be given the opportunity to do so if they wanted to.

• yes.
    If the drafts are mandatory, then everyone should be drafted. Period

Yea, they're physically weaker, but they can gain too. So make them gain, just like the men are. It's obligatory for women in norway (finally)

• If there's a draft.
    EVERYONE should be drafted. Both genders.
    You can't cry for equal rights in one hand but not take up the responsibility in the other.

• #Nope since they must continue to make the cute little babies for the next war/s, right? i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• I choose "Females should be forced to sign up for the draft" though as my real answer ^_^

• No it probably wouldn't be a good idea, if there ever was a draft our country would be like it was during WWII, very little men left in country itself since we were all over the world fighting at the time. Women were left to man the jobs, keep the economy rolling through factory work, and raise their children, if we draft the women who's left to do any of those things? there would be no one left, the only time I would find it necessary to draft women is if they drafted all the men as well and still needed soldiers.

I would find it alright though to leave the military open to both men and women volunteers who wish to join the fight, but save drafting the women as a last resort only.

• Logically, no. Because if every adult was forced to go into the military, there would be no one to keep things going at home (home as in the country, not just HOME home) nor anyone to take care of the children.

• I would only support it if the women were made to do supporting roles and not fight on the front lines.

• That would not only doom her, but her fellow soldiers and would compromise whatever plans were made.

• It doesn't take a super human to hold a gun and pull a trigger. I've been doing it with hunting rifles since I was 8. All I am saying is that if men can be expected to go off and die for this country at any point, I'd like to know that we either have more privileges, or the women would be right next to us.

• WOW. Equal rights until "Females should not be forced to sign up for the draft" 11 against & 2 in favor.

• If they want the same rights and privledges as men then they should bare equal responsibility. If they do not want that responsibility and by extention the rights that come with it then fine, but they shouldn't have both.

• If we have to force women to go to the army then we should also force men to live without voting rights for a while. We've moved past the old days of gender roles of men doing the work and women being quiet and staying at home. It wouldn't be fair to give one gender the crap that the other one got without balancing it out. I'd be against it because were supposed to be moving toward equality not trying to balance out the pain or humility.

Note: It's not sexist to say statistically men are physically stronger than women. It IS sexist (and easily disproven) to say a woman can not compare or surpass a man's strength. So women fighting, by choice, in the army sounds perfectly fine and effective.

• Women should have to sign up for selective service, and should be available for a draft, God forbid we ever need one. Don't worry, the children will have at least one parent remain. That's the rule now. If a man is a single father, or his husband or wife were already in the military and they have kids, he is exempt from the draft, and I am pretty certain he isn't allowed to join the military at all, even if he wanted to. It would be the same way for women. If their husband or wife were already in the military, and they have kids to take care of, they'd be exempt. Equal rights means equal responsibilities ladies.

• What this tells me:
      Because 13 out of 16 girls would not want to be forced into service when war be declared, like how men are, 13 out of the 16 girls don't really care for gender equality, they only want what's best for them as a person.
      The other 3 have my respect. I look at you as an equal. You would willingly accept being shipped off to war with us men, willing to fight and die next to us when you may not have wanted to fight in a war, and that is commendable. The rest of you: enjoy your 82 cents to my dollar.

• I don't think we should try to be equal in every single way.

A female draft would result in a weaker military.

• That point is mute. There are women in active duty, and their companies are just as used over seas. If you want an even better comparison, remember when Russia turned around WWII and kicked Nazi Germany back to Berlin? Yeah, that was with women as well as men.

• Their standards are lowered, but then again, physical differences didn't stop women like Lyudmila Pavlichenko. who had 309 confirmed kills as a sniper in WWII.
      A gun, a mortar, a grenade, it doesn't matter who uses it, so long as they are trained to use it, it'll kill.

• I'm not saying they should allow women in the military however let's say they needed to draft 100,000 people. I don't think it would be a good idea to take 50k guys and 50k girls. They should take 80k guys and 20k girls.

If half the military get ls in by passing a lowered set of standards that's not good in my opinion.

• I agree. Many other countries have a great set up.

When you reach a certain age you are required to do 2 or so years in either the military or some form of public service.

• The draft is immoral, both for men and women.

• I don't like the idea of the draft in the first place

• only one women (atm) knows what equality means... the rest, are probably feminists lol

• Hell I would lol

• I'm against drafts or armies in general.

• Yes, because we are equal.

• Ya because of all this feminizism they should so it would be equal

• The babies are better off in being born and living than being diluted in acid in abortion clinics.

• I think girls would be a liability on the front line, there's no getting away from the fact that most of them aren't built like dudes and there's also a guy's natural instinct to protect them. They can do other stuff though, so as long as they weren't in the trenches as it were- I'd support it.

• They are already in active duty, so I don't know what logic you are using here.

• I hadn't heard of them being deployed to clear compounds or whatever. I knew there are sometimes female soldiers out on patrol because they can talk to female civilians in the hearts and minds battle or they can search female suspects. I just looked it up and where I live they will be allowed to fight alongside men from 2016, I think it's a fucking stupid idea and the decision was probably made by pen pushers. Sometimes the reality of things is different to the principle, I bet if you asked the soldiers they wouldn't be comfortable with it. A guy I went to school with who joined the army and went to Iraq and Afghan.. wasn't in favor of it.