I'm an atheist that is confused about religion any help?

Well ok I don't know if im a true atheist. Im an open minded person and i do believe that their is a god but it's not the same like everyone else does. Instead of believing that their is one higher being I believe that God is this universe, this reality, dimension what ever you want to call it if it makes any sence. Ok so the other day I was with a couple of friends at Buffalo wild wings near our area and they began to talk about their religion. I stayed quite because I didn't want to get involved until one of my friends said oh you don't believe in God right. I said no and after a couple of minutes he said that in the bible somewhere is says that not believing in God is the worst sin then lying, cheating, stealing, and murdering. I stayed quiet in disbelief of how stupid that sounds. After that I started thinking of all the people to tell me that why him if he has sinned more then me. He lies, cheats on girls, drinks, has sex before marriage and more compared to me who has never drinked, cheated because I've never had a girlfriend before and if i did i wouldn't cheat and also I'm still a virgin at 20. So in the eyes of God who would be the bigger sinner.

Most Helpful Girl

• Both are equally bad. Since you don't believe in God - you don't know how bad unbelief in God is. You have to experience religion to know how bad non-religion is. Just like you have to experience love to know how bad hate is.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are what is called a pantheist. Pantheists believe that "god is in everything and everything is in god". It's a type theism that is practiced by a lot of aboriginal tribes, for example many native Americans. For these people, god is the basically the nature around them and the stars they see in the sky. That's why for example many native Americans have songs about rivers and forests and these things. It's also why they have such a big respect for the animals they hunt.
    For me, as an atheist, pantheism seems to be the most sympathetic and by far most reasonable version of theism.

What Girls Said 1

• I would not say that not believing in God is a bigger sin than stealing, cheating ecc...
    You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine between what's wrong and right, you lack empathy. Your belief is nothing in God is nothing if you don't put your faith into action. If it's the sin you're talking about then your friend sounds like the one who needs to read more bible.

What Guys Said 6

• if you believe in god your not an atheist, if you believe in god but are not entirely convinced by religion then you're an agnostic

• Wow man I guess I am an agnostic thanks

• No, that's actually not true. There's a big misunderstanding about this topic among a large percentage of the population. Many people think that agnosticism is some kind of middle ground between atheism and theism. It's not. The two things have nothing to do with each other (at least not directly). Atheism and Agnosticism address entirely different questions. Atheism talks about BELIEF. Agnosticism talks about KNOWLEDGE (gnosis is classical Greek for "knowledge"). An atheist is somebody who lacks the belief in a god. Frequently, this is further subdivided into "strong atheism" and "weak atheism" but for our purposes now, that's not so important. Agnosticism talks about what we know and can know. An agnostic is somebody who says that he/she doesn't know of any god/s and - as for now - can't know about any god/s. Most atheists also happen to be agnostics. For example I myself admit that I don't actually know whether a god exists or doesn't exist but I lack the believe in his existence.

• On the other hand, an agnostic isn't always an atheist. There are also agnostic theists (the majority of well-educated, "mild" theists are agnostic theists). These people say that while they don't know for sure whether a god exists, they still believe he does.
      The opposite of agnosticism is gnosticism. Gnostic atheists (also called "strong atheists") say that they know that god doesn't exist and hence don't believe in him. This is a position that affords prove obviously. The same goes for gnostic theists, who claim to know that god exists and thus believe in him.

• You are agnostic, but you sound religious when you say 'there is a God'
    I would not like further discussions on this because turns out whenever I get into a discussion about religions, my atheism makes my downvotes hit the twenties.

• Be a Logical Positivist. It's pretty "epic", and has all sorts of "mad bantz"

• Sounds like your not an atheist, your just agnostic. Next to Mario Kart and Smash brothers, religion is one thing that breaks up friends and relationships.

• Religions = brainwashing heads.

• Atheism is not a religion where we have all the same belief. It's just not believing in god, that's it nothing more nothing less...

You aren't an atheist, Kinda like Einstein. Einstein wasn't an theist, he believed there was a God but not a personal god the religion endorses..

You're free to believe in what you want to believe. You don't have to label it.