Do Canadians have an accent?

I'm from Ontario and I don't notice an accent! Do you guys notice an accent?

Most Helpful Guy

• Noone notices their own accent haha.

I talk to other British people and its just how we talk, i don't think ''we're talking with a British accent'', but when a scottish person joins the convo you notice it xD.

We don't notice our own accent's because we have just grown up with it all around us, so to us its just talking normal haha.

Most Helpful Girl

• well if you're brit you're gonna think there's an accent... if you're texan you're gonna think there's an accent, but if you're from ont as well you hear nothing

What Guys Said 9

• I'm from Ontario and I didn't think I had an accent either until I got a job doing tech support. Multiple times a day I'd be talking to someone (almost always an American) and they would say "You're Canadian aren't you?". Usually it was when I said "about" or "eh". I once had sort of a mini argument with an American who insisted I said "aboot".

It's easy to think we don't have an accent because Ontarians sound like people on TV. It's very subtle, but we do have one. I've begun to notice it, too. It's there if you listen for it.

• As an outsider ( Irish ) you can pick it straight away. the stand out is a ski field like Whistler, you know the American twang from the Canadian instantly

• I travelled across Canada a few years back. Canadian women have such pretty accents, particularly when they talk french :P

• Everyone has a accent of some sort we just don't here it in our self as we think that's just our voice.

• @Illusive_Man

Tell them how your accents gets all the girls!

• Of course. It's similar to the American accent but I've noticed Canadians say about and sorry differently. Courtesy of degrassi

• Oh God yes. Not as much with the Toronto accent, but you guys have a distinct sound in general. The difference between Canadian and American is like the difference between Scottish and English. Quite noticeable.

• Yep, plenty big difference between Canadian and northern USA accents.

• Montreal might, and Americans notice a bit of a Canadian accent

• I'm from Alberta and I think you do

What Girls Said 14

• I can hear the accent difference in Canadians. It's a friendly folksy sounding way of speaking, and a lot more gentle than Americans or Brits. It's very pleasant-sounding English. Now French Canadians also have that folksy sound but it's not so gentle compared to Parisienne French. The English Canadians sound very nice.

• I'm from Ontario too! I just want to know how thick our accent is because I don't know if its subtle or really thick. and we do NOT say aboot!

• American and Canadian accents usually sound more or less the same to me.

• Everybody in the world has an accent. There's no such thing as having "no accent". Now to answer your question, Canadians do have a specific accent. You don't notice an accent only because you're so used to hearing everyone around you. I'm from the south for example and I don't think my accent is bad compared to people with thicker accents but, I would had an obvious southern accent to a Canadian.

• Yep. You pronounce things slightly differently than Americans. Like when you say "out" it sounds like "oat"

• Yes, some Canadians put extra emphasis on their r's and a's than Americans.

Like when you say car, to us it sounds like caihr (almost like a country person saying fire.)

• There are more than 80 accents/dialects of English around the world [That includes the near 50 spoken in North America (US, Mexico, and Canada)]

• I think they a soft accent.

• I've never noticed.

• Most of them dont except "eh"

• Everyone does have.

• well ofc you wouldn't notice since yore Canadian xD but um it really depends

• kinda yeah

• Nah, get owt of here :P