I am awesome at math and physics and mechanism , etc but I am awful at adding and subtracting without the calculater does that mean I am bad at math?

Mechanics *

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I'm an engineer and I can't do math in my head either. I need to at least write it down on paper.

A lot of math is just practice so if you want to be able to do math without a calculator, just practice.

• So that doesn't mean I am bad at math?

• @knight1986 good for you. I'm pursuing a doctorate.

• @9mfeo Wow, awesome. Wish you all the best :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Nah, you just need little practice. Most of times I can add/subtract large numbers easily. I'm also confident in multiplying/dividing 4-5 digit numbers in mind. Now... sometimes I get confused while adding 2 digit numbers, I can't divide 5/10, 20/4 and easy things like that... lol. For me it's dependent upon stress. You just need practice :)

What Girls Said 4

• Mental arithmetic is just practice. It's not a real issue, but practice for fun. If you see two numbers anywhere, add them up. Subtact them. As many times as you can. Eventually it will be so easy!!

• It's okayyy

• No. I suck at math without a calculator. I know how to do it and all but if I didn't bring my calculator on a test it would take me hours.

• Nah, fuck that. You're not gonna be in a situation where you don't have a calculator anyways.

What Guys Said 4

• Well, I'm not exactly good at math myself but I know this: "true" math (the kind of math you learn if you study mathematics on a university level) is mostly about concepts and ideas. Just one example: the theory of relativity or quantum mechanics are both important because at their time, they were revolutionary ways to think about the world. Of course there was some calculating involved but that's just the basics. Maybe you could compare the calculating to the stuff between bricks of a house that keeps them together. But the actual house itself is an idea... building it is easier if you know what material to use to keep the bricks together but what's much more important is to understand the theoretical aspects of it (how to construct it etc). Mathematics on a high level is not difficult because of some calculations, it's challenging because one has to understand the theory behind it.

• I wouldn't say so. You may not be that good at arithmetic but that *in no way* means you are actually "bad" at math. Math as a subject stems far beyond adding and substracting numbers. As you study higher levels of maths, the basic need of being able to add and subtract large numbers isn't so needed. Calculus, coordinate geometry, trigonometry are all examples of this. This is why you don't really need to be that good at maths so much at later stages of maths but have a good memory because you just need to remember how to do something like integrate cos^2(x) rather than instinctively work it out it your head. It just becomes a "method fest" which is why you are good at Mechanics.

• Not at all I am very good at applied mathematics but still sometimes count on my fingers (not that often but I still do it) Ye I have no difficulty with stuff like quadratic equations etc.

• It means I'll see you at Walmart my brother