I am 20, and sleep with the light on because I'm scared if the dark, is that just me?

I can't handle the pitch black and get terrified something will suddenly grab me or something freaky, is that normal? Been like this since puberty years, strangely enough

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most people have fears like that and you will grow out of them. Why not get a low power night light for your bedroom. Nice to hear from a fellow kiwi.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can remember a time, @Sailormoonprincess, that being in 'Pitch blakc' was very hairy and scary for me. I was living at my grandma's old big mansion with my parents and I had to sleep way upstairs, where it was so very spooky. And it was known to have a few few floaters around, if you know what I mean... Ghosts.
    However, after awhile, living on my own, I Overcame it. I learned to not only Adjust to the world with everything to offer, but to also 'Adjust' to living on my own and Appreciated... The darkness and being alone sometimes after a long day at work or just whatever.
    For now, keep a small night light handy in your room so you can sleep better and still can See... Better. This will Still give you some comfort and besides, many people do this just so they can have a little light to guide them, should they have to get up in the night.
    With age, I believe you will get past it, it could be something as a girl back then that you never forgot and you feel a safe haven in your room with keeping more light on the subject.
    Good luck and sweet dreams. xx

• Thank you so much, sweetie, for allowing me to lend a helping hand.:)) xxoo

What Guys Said 9

• I also sleep with a light on but mainly because it is hard for my girlfriend to snipe bad guys in the dark.

www.rsc-online.com/.../00_121_4.jpg

• Ah don't worry you aren't alone for sure. I know many who are that way :) by the way I'm not one of them, I love the dark :D

• I don't think it's uncommon. I love the dark. It's natural. It's peaceful.

And for someone/something to threaten you on your turf, they would have to either know the layout better than you (unlikely), or have far superior night vision.

I think you can probably treat it by being in the dark and just focusing on your breathing to calm you down.

• Quick question. Would it change anything if you had a boyfriend sleeping with you and watching over you during the night?
    Or would you still need that light on?

• If one wants to feel safe, they need not an excuse. You're ok.

• Yes it's normal your not alone, we all have fears of different things

• That'd bug me because I can sleep in the light only if I'm extremely exhausted.

• No we all do as in everyone even my hamster sleeps with a light on and he's been dead for 18 years rip George I probably should of buried you by now

• I like to sleep in the light and I am 16. Not 17. But, there really isn't much to be scared about, unless you don't believe God will protect you.

What Girls Said 4

• Sadly, not just you. I have to have noise in the background too otherwise I can't sleep. I sleep with my bedroom door open and there is a window more or less opposite which lets in light and I have a fan going all night. I need this combo to happen so that I can actually fall asleep. I can only really do without these if I am absolutely exhausted and then I just don't care.

• I don't think it is uncommon. I don't have a fear of darkness that worth mentioning, but still I got used to sleep with very dim kinda golden-colored light, and many of my friends are like that.

• same here. I used night light coz if it's too bright i can't sleep; if too dark can't sleep also.

• I'm sure a lot of people are the same , I on the other hand need my room to be pitch black and I have no idea how people can sleep with the lights on