How to engage your core while working out?

I thought engaging your core meant sucking your stomach in. Obviously it does not. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks 😊🌸

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It just means to keep your torso still so that you dont lose form during an exercise. I never knew what it meant either until working out with my personal trainer as he only ever says it when I'm allowing my body to bend/collapse - that is, he only says it when I am not doing it. A lot of people say it when you are doing it so I always thought they were pointing out something else.

What Guys Said 9

• See I always thought that to engage my core I had to propose to it. That's probably why I don't have abs. xD

• The best way is to do compound weight exercises instead of isolated weight exercises.

Also, do your weight exercises standing up. Standing up forces the core to keep your posture, thus working the core as well as the muscles of the exercise itself.

• Engaging your core means to keep your core stable while working out. Almost everything engages your core in some capacity. Pushups, squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses, anything where you need to keep you're core still and stable.

There are also specialty core exercises such as plank and rotational exercises.

• Your core muscles are those that help you maintain posture, as well as prevent bladder and bowel mishaps. To engage your core, tense your PC muscles (pubococcygeus muscle) like your are holding back having to pee. Your hips should be in a neutral position (not thrust forward or back, but somewhere in the middle).

• Lot of bigger exercises involve the core for stability, and it also will be exercised in passive stationary force if you do the stuff correctly. So don't take to much weight, don't "force" the reps, don't try to impress people. Do the reps as long as you can to them cleanly.

It is quite specific to what you're doing. But obviously you also should work your core separately with basic abs/planks/obliques/lower torso exercises.

• It means flex your abs while u do te exercise

• Breath into your balls to flex your abs.

• press ups and planking

• You work out your abdominal muscles, your abs, try and hold a plank for 2 minutes and you'll feel it

What Girls Said 0