Why most people believe Germans are blonde?

Actually most germans I’ve seen r brown/black-haired….. so y this stereotype about being blonde?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 12

• World War II is my best guess.

• I think it has to do with the Aryan race obsession. I have to admit that I used to think this way, I still don't know if I'm wrong or not.

• Because of ridiculous stereotypes. It's like how people think all Sweden has to offer is busty blonde girls when my pen pal from Sweden says most people there are brunette. .3.

• I think it has to do with hitler the whole blonde hair blue eyes thing he was looking for in all Germans. I think that stereotype lives on for some people.

• I'm way part German and everyone in my family has brown hair (with the exception of two people). I'm guessing it's because the most famous German is Heidi Klum and she's blonde? Everyone's saying WWII but I don't know what that's all about

• Because Hitler

• well they're probably thinking about scandinavians who ARE mostly blonde (since germany is right under)

• My German friend is blonde and the majority of all her friends were also blonde haired and blue (sometimes green) eyed

• Most the German people i have met have been dark haired too so i have no idea lol

• Probably because of WWII

• Hitler and the nazis

• germany?

i thought it was more sweden, poland and norway that has that streretyoe

and it probably became that way in germany because of hitlers ideology, aryan race

What Guys Said 10

• It comes from WWII when Hitler was obsessed with the Aryan race which had blonde hair and blue eyes he saw them as the perfect race. And there were purges and I guess you could call them cleansing were people were measured and inspected if they had the required measurements and features they were safe, if not they were taken away often to concentration camps to rot away or just flat out be killed usually by being gassed, tossed in a furnace and burned alive or simply lined up and shot, by a firing squad.

Plus Nazi's back then were often depicted as having those features.

• I don't think it is a german stereotype but the Ayran stereotype - It is like the irish stereotype of red hair and freckles with green eyes - I live in Ireland and there are very few of those around.

• Pre-war propaganda about germans being "aryan" and "ubermench", war propaganda about fighting them and post-war propaganda about winning them. So as @9mfeo said, it's because of WW2

• Hitler was looking for for a Aryan/Nordic race which is usually found in Scandinavia. Why he thought Germany I'll never know

• I never thought that tbh.

• Black hair is very rare among white people (unless you count southern europeans, who have non-white blood).

What you describe as black is just dark brown.

• southern-europeans r considered hispanic/mixed?

• They have significant genetic input from the near east/north africa.

• I don't know I guess the media and that bad world war 2 nazi stigma

• O really? I thought there were more blonde ones. Hmm.

• they're fools.