Why do they cast light skinned black actors for characters who are dark skinned?

Most Helpful Girl

• its essentially white washing although the actor is not white they are as close to as the role would allow

What Guys Said 4

• How can you tell fictional characters are supposed to be darker? I mean I can see a part being written as a black character, but how often do they state just how dark?

• Comic book characters who have dark skin and shown AND drawn with dark skin. An example is static shock, he has dark skin and Jaden Smith (a guy with light skin) is said to be playing him, Storm another dark skinned character has/is cast by 2 light skinned actresses, Hallie Berry and Alexandra Ship.

• OK, I guess you are paying a lot more attention to the hue of comic book characters than I ever have.

• At least give an example love.

• Because they are better actors for the part

• Wait wait >>>> characters who are dark skinned? <<<<< more explanation please

• Like static shock, they plan on casting Jaden Smith. And storm from x men Alexandra ship was casted.

• Well, i think they consider if ACTOR X is the perfect fit for ROLE X

What Girls Said 6

• maybe there were no dark skin people auditioning...

• One word.
    Racism.

• I think successful black actors/actresses in Hollywood tend to be lighter skinned in general. I think there is still bias when it comes to casting and who the movie studios promote. There are exceptions though like Don Cheadle.

• Because Hollywood's full biased people. u3u

• Because the lighter blacks are seen as more attractive

• There aren't very many dark skinned ones. And the ones that are probably don't have the personality type they look for. It's easier for white people cuz white is white. HA!!!

• Piss poor answer. Prolly why you had to hide behind anonymous to share it.

• @Esplorare what is piss poor about it? There's a lot more that goes into casting besides skin color, made sense to me. I think it's a legitimate answer.

• It's easier for white oeopke bc white us white HA! ? What the hell does that even mean.