I apologize for the depressing topic, I'm just curious.
I, for example, have never been to any funerals. I've had 2 chances to go, but they were VERY distant relatives, so it wasn't THAT important for me to go, so I decided to stay home. I don't know why, I'm just kinda uneasy about seeing a corpse of someone I know. Plus, I knew most people would be teary eyed, which is understandable, but I find it awkward to be around people who are crying. Plus, the whole cemetery thing...
How many funerals have you been to? Is there anyone else here who has never been to one? I know some people find it weird that I've never been to a funeral.
Most Helpful Guy
I have been to about 6.
1. In 1988 my grandma passed away. My dad's mum. I was too young to remember if I went to her funeral or not or even really remember her. This is kind of sad.
2. Only 5 years later in 1993 my granddad passed away. My dad's father. I am pretty sure I would have gone to his funeral but can only remember about 1 or 2 things about it. However, I can remember stuff about him how he use to come over to our house every second Sunday and he parked is car on our front lawn to I think. The other Sundays he did not come to our place we went to his house so it was like he came to our place then we went to his place and then he came to our place etc etc. I also remember he use to buy us a chocolate bar that he gave us on Sunday. He taught my sister how to make scrambled eggs when she was a child.
3. In 2000 my other granddad passed away (My mum's dad). He died by slowly loosing his ability to do anything for himself including communicate to us and us having to spoon feed him. :(
4. Can't remember which year but a while a go now probably around 2005 my bosses Dad passed away. My boss shut down the business for a day and said anyone that wants to come to the funeral is welcome to come. My bosses dad was part of the group. He did not work there but was around a lot and was liked a lot.
5. In 2008 My dad's female cousin passed away and both my sister and I went to her funeral.
6. In 2010 a work colleague passed away and I went to his funeral, other work colleagues also went and so did my boss.
7. My uncle (Dad's brother) is sick and we don't know how much longer he has. I would be nice if he made a full recovery. He is doing much better at the moment.
On a brighter note my Grandma (Mum's mum) is 99 in November and will be 100 in November 20161
- Show AllShow Less
Most Helpful Girl
About five or six of them. Each time I have gone I ended up getting so sad and uncomfortable about the whole thing, and had actually decided at the last one I attended that I will not be attending any more of them. That was in 2002 and I haven't been to a funeral since. Thankfully now, my parents and other relatives are opting out of services altogether so I know when the time comes for them, I won't feel the pressure to go - and they're the closest people to me. As for other people, that's it - I made up my mind I won't be going again, and that's just the way it is.1
- Show AllShow Less