Do you ever not feel "real"?

Every now and then I'll feel like I'm not actually me. It's difficult to describe. Most of the time it happens when I'm looking in the mirror. I'll feel like this person isn't actually me, like it's another person's body and life. It only lasts for a few seconds/minutes. Does everyone do this? Does it have something to do with my anxiety and/or depression or is it just a normal thing? I've done it since I was a child.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say it has something to do with depression. I used to feel that sometimes back when I was very depressed. BUT I was also smoking 4 grams of mary jane a day back then too lol It's hard to describe, but I get you. Nothing feels real, let alone you. It all feels artificial.
    I hope you beat your depression one day. It's the worst thing in the world.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't feel like a person, I feel like an observer. Life is happening around me and I'm just watching it all go by.

I was in love once but now I can hardly comprehend how someone would love me, love is supposed to be for other people, not for me.

I feel like I'm the passenger seat of my life and someone else is driving, I just don't know who.

• That's how I feel, like an observer.

• Kind of, yes. I just feel like I'm not cut out for things other people are, like success, love, etc. Like I'm not capable of these things because I'm not like a real kind of person. I'm not sure how to say it exactly.

• I know how you feel OP, it's ok, I feel the same way. There is a place for us where we will feel like we belong, we just don't know where it is yet.

• Occasionally I suppose.

• You may have some type of disassociate identity disorder. But then again you really aren't the body you see in the mirror, you are the awareness that can recognize the body you are staring at.

• Hmm maybe bipolar?

• yeah i know what you are talking about.

What Girls Said 5

• i think i can kinda relate.

• Omg this happens to me too.. Everytime I look in the mirror..
    Every time.. Why? Any idea? Anyone?

• You should ask a professional about that.

• Yeah you should probably go talk to a doctor or something. This somewhat happens to me when I puff one.

• Yea. I don't even know if it's normal. I think it was a result of pushing things out of mind like it never happened. You should start accepting the bad stuff and dealing with it a little more before you move past it.