Does anyone honestly care about Cecil, the Lion?

I think people are over dramaticizing this, especially considering the centuries of killing animals humans endured.

• It's a huge deal!
  • Overhyped, distracting nonsense.
  • I empathize, but I'm not rioting over it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's a big deal not just because of this one lion but because of the horrible president that it might be setting. Cecil the lion was a protected lion, which meant he should have never been hunted. But that dentist bribed someone to lure him off the preserve. It sets a terrible ball rolling in the sense that, it doesn't matter if an animal is protected or not, if you pay enough, you can still kill it. Which will endanger already dwindling populations of animals. It's also a good way to look into the psyche of people who hunt for sport and why they aren't considered crazy. The situation itself is bigger than this one lion and I'm glad people are outraged.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's receiving the attention it warrants. I've personally seen nothing excessive either in the media or in personal contacts.

A common criticism is that we should be paying more attention to other tragedies. That criticism is accurate, but raises the question of why we aren't already paying attention to them. The examples are limitless but my go-to is that over 30,000 people per year die of the flu in the United States. Our society has simply and tacitly determined that we will largely disregard most of the violence, horror, grief, suffering and loss that take place in this world--possibly because it is so ubiquitous as to become a kind of societal background noise. Constant mass deaths are not news.

Cecil's killing is not background noise. It's conspicuous and important. At the same time, thoughtful people must work to bring greater awareness and action to bear on the other tragedies in this world, regardless of how commonplace they are.

What Girls Said 6

• A mix of A and C.

It's a big deal, and I'm glad there's a lot of heat on this guy. But I'm not rioting.

Poaching is not only illegal but morally wrong. And I'm happy this dentist will hopefully be prosecuted. But again, I'm not marching. Things are in motion, people care. And I have faith that this guy will face justice.

• I think it's really bad, the man broke boundaries you don't break, simple as that. I'm a natural animal lover so it hurt me when I read about it :(

• It is important because if you do not say anything about; it means you obey what happened. Then they will continue to their horrible actions. Irresponsible monstrous hunting.
    I am not against to hunting. But this is not hunting. This is like a feeding his giant ego. He gives victory poses anytime he kills an animal. Does it seem normal?

Of course people hunt. It is ok. But setting trap like that; killing illegally is dangerous.

• I read an article which had interviews of people who live there. They don't know why we are so outraged. They look forward to westerners going on those hunts. The law there states that all of the meat is given to the local village. It also helps to control the overpopulation of predators.

• They do not look forward to people going on hunts in the sanctuary, nor to protected animal being lured out of the sanctuary to enable poachers to kill them. And any time there is overpopulation in the sanctuary, those in control can issue permits to take care of the situation. "We" are outraged? May I point out that Zimbabwe is charging those involved and looking for the extradition of the dentist.

• No I didn't take it as your opinion or answer it as thought it were.

• Personally, I don't think the outrage does any good. Some guy killed a lion in Africa and everyone goes nuts ... meanwhile... in America, there's a TV commercial showing all the little poor starving kids in Africa that I've been seeing for 30 freaking years and no one cares. You wanna help someone in Africa then send your money there for the kids! And not to a Sally Strothers foundation either.

• It is a huge deal. All those fucking poachers are shooting and endangering animals, and all that just for fun, it's disgusting!

• B and C for me really. I empathise but it is sorta overdramatised.

What Guys Said 20

• Hunting for sustenance in a way that respects the animal, ourselves, and nature? Yeah, that is perfectly fine.

Hunting for a trophy, though? That is callous a cowardly. I don't respect this person at all, and frankly, I'd love to see him pur his rifle down and try to make a trophy outta me. I'd love to kick his ass.

• I think hunting is such a stupid thing and I question a man who loves killing shit. Like you must be a bit of a cunt to watch something die and enjoy it. that said however, 47 people get murdered a day in South Africa, yet you hear about the one bloody lion!! That's so wrong and so tragic. I wish people made as much of an uproar about the devastating things happening to your fellow brother as they do with this friggin lion.

• I personally do not.

• While I don't really like seeing animals really abused and mistreated in seriously messed up ways (I don't really see this as far as hunting goes, but whatever) my main beef with this is that people are making a bigger stink over a lion than they are human lives. People's priorities are messed up.

• I'd say I'm an A, but that would be *lion*

ha ha ha, tip your servers!

• Its an unfortunate and sad story. Its been over exposed. Just arrest the guys involved and let this story die.

• I feel sorry for the poor thing, though it's not like this is the first instance of poaching that's ever occurred.

The only reason people lost their shit over it was because it was a white American doing it and not just some African ivory hunter/animal skinner.

• Cmon bro, I cried when scar killed mufasa and left simba with no daddy in fact I'd cry tomorrow if I seen that movie probably, I don't really think it's okay to kill animals that we don't use for food, and that's exactly why the beautiful King Cobras are becoming endangered, lions are so pretty and like the king cobra they have a royalty feeling surrounding them like they re majestic I wouldn't riot though because I'm not about that hippie shit

• I'm the type of person who roots for the animal on those animal attack videos

But I didn't care when I heard about this. I don't know any details about it though, all I know is a lion died.

• Lions are a vulnerable species with populations decreasing toward being endangered. *However*, I'm making no death threats; I also fail to see how people can talk all day about this topic, but not about the murder of Kate Steinle. Important, in my opinion, but overhyped in two points explained.

• I feel nothing for this issue. I just don't care.

• Humans die and no one cares. An animal dies and he appears on the side on the empire state building. I agree that it's sad but animals are killed everyday. I don't see how it's different from killing a cow. At the end of the day both are dead animals

• Considering people are likely to get life sentences when killing someone, I'd make the drastic statement and say people do care. If the whole world were to go into state of sorrow and grief, every time someone died, that is all we would be doing.
      This is a big deal, because lions are soon to actually be directly endangered, and killing them for fun is sick.

• some dentist shot a lion, doesn't that happen every day?

• Nope. first dentists don't shoot lions every day. But more to the point, luring a protected lion out of a sanctuary is poaching and definitely illegal.

• I know poaching is illegal, but it still happens

• i couldn't care less.
    actually the response i seen with hippies and peta members, i actually just want to go trophy hunting

• The lion was supposed to be protected so yes. Also that dentist is just a piece of shit of a person.

• I certainly don't approve of what happened, I think it was wrong, but I think people are deluded if they think killing a chicken to eat it is a less trivial reason to kill an animal. We don't need to eat meat anymore than we need to kill for pleasure. Who's to say that the pleasure he got from the thrill of the kill wasn't greater than what someone would get from eating a chicken.

• I couldn't care less about cecil.

• It's a fuckin lion. I've got bills to pay and school to finish and jobs to work and personal dreams AND struggles in my life. Who the fuck cares about a lion.

• People who are intelligent enough to know, that lions are soon to be endangered, and this one was killed to feed some cowards ego.

• Yeah I know this already, and I could give a flying fuck. This doesn't affect me in any way shape or form.

• He admitted he made a mistake, that it wasn't the lion he was targeting. It's gotten a BIG controversy though over trophy hunting. Whether it's OK or not to do. As a non hunter, I don't think it's OK

• According to all reports he paid poachers to lure Cecil out of the sanctuary. That sounds like he was targeting it.

• No, reports say that he was not meant to kill Cecil, that he was targeting another lion, but the guide that he hired, wound up leading Cecil out

• It's specism at its worst.. we should boycott all dentists

• We don't think twice about slaughtering thousands of cattle a day for yummy juicy burgers and mouthwatering steaks but if 1 lion get shot the world spins off its axis

Bottom line people are stupid. I wonder if lion makes a good steak