( atheism vs religion ) Why Should I Follow A Book?

I'm an atheist.
I don't understand, why do I need to follows book written a long time ago by people?
Why do I need a book to tell me right from wrong?

The book I'm talking about is the law!

Most Helpful Girl

• because humanity has an innate tendency towards anarchy and survival of the fittest. (as all species do)
    People are only civilized for as long as their basic needs are covered. Some people are just sick MOFO who get a kick out of being mean and hurtful to others. Some are even more damaged and will gladly pop a bullet in your head if you say the wrong thing.

The law protects you from those "bad" people, it stops anarchy. It also stops people from taking actions into their own hands, like lynching (of sometimes the wrong person). The law states consequences for faulty actions. That's it.

Now, it is clear to me that you are not really an atheist, but a super clever christian that is taking an atheists argument for not following a book someone wrote 2000 years ago. Clever shot, but not comparable at all.
    The bible permits slavery, the law doesn't. The bible permits the supression of women, the law doesn't.
    Nice try ;-)

• Well the bible shouldn't be taken literally

• @letsgorangers: correct! But most Christians will gladly omit the verses that don't suit them (as slavery or treatment of women) but will happily hold on to others regarding homosexuality... so the bible is elective, where the REAL law is compulsory, it is the same for everyone.

Most Helpful Guy

• "Why do I need a book to tell me right from wrong?"

For this to be anything beyond subjective jabber rhetoric you'll need to start with a foundation.

You don't just make a statement as an objection to another idea without having an objective basis to that idea. If you're an atheist, according to your worldview. What rational basis do you have for grounding right and wrong

(for the people that'll get butt hurt for me asking an atheist to back up their idea of objective morality, feel free to give a rational basis logically not emotionally)

(Again, i never said atheists can't be moral. In fact as a Christian I'm compelled to believe they can be because they were equally made in Gods image with an innate moral compass)

From the perspective of my religion, as a Christian i don't follow a book. Neither does my religion claim to either. In fact, the blatant definition of "Christian" is follower of Christ. There are questions you'll need to think about first before asking this question. Especially questioning the rational foundations of atheism if you took it seriously

What Girls Said 2

• The law is what keeps people from killing each other and being complete and utter morons. The law is what keeps people from stealing your shit and getting away with it.
    Without laws, everyone and everything would be fucked. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be surrounded by extra stupidity, we all ready have enough of that.

• I'm an atheist so I have no code of morality, my morality is subjective.

• Yoloswag2015 girl, yoloswag2015...

• I agree, but we're a little too late, the law is slowly dying and "Do as thou wilt" is becoming the norm of society.

• Maybe you should just read ANY book and fix your grammar and ignorant attitude

• I assure you it was simply a typographical mistake.

What Guys Said 9

• The law is put in place to help stop anarchy, so people have some structure to their lives, some basic boundaries so they know what they can and can't do, if you removed the law, you'd have few people start to descend to anarchy, most people actually would hide, and naturally designate a new leader for them, say a family member or someone with an authority position, you may even find that smaller countries would start to form inside this country where the law had gone. on the side of religion, its your choice what you believe, religion goes only as far as a belief, its not a dictatorship over-ruling monster, its just some beautiful ideas someone has written down to try and make sense of the universe, if you don't like religions, then just tolerate them at least, try not to show disrespect to them because that's what people used to do when they believed their belief was batter than others, and you saw what happened (several wars, cases of mass homicide and other conflicts), so you know, just tolerate it.

• Bro, I believe in atheism/agnostism too , but like religion, it feels bad if you try to shove it someone's face.

And I like what 'Letsgorangers' said, you are not going to change anyone's views by your reasons.
    In fact Gregory House said, " If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."
    Religion is based on faith. And faith is important. Not necessary, but important. It gives us confidence that we are capable of tackling the problems ahead of us. And when we do it, instead of giving credit to ourselves which can raise our ego. If we give credit to even some superficial being like God, I don't think it hurts.
    You can go on discussing on this but at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, why are you doing this? Is it because you want to find the truth or you want to tell others you are right.

• I'm not too crazy about the law either to be honest. I'd rather just follow the Bible. It makes a lot more sense.

whitegirlsbelike.files.wordpress.com/.../...me.jpg

• The law is 90% based on religious texts. The only difference between the moral guidance of for example, the bible, and the law of the land is that the law is enforced by fear of consequence and the bible is enforced by faith.

Regardless, law and religious beliefs coincide. Law is a mandatory ruling, and religion is an ideology. They cover completely different grounds and aren't comparable.

• Religious laws are based on common sense. Common sense from the Iron Age. Some were updated in the first century. Common sense from 20 centuries ago.
      That's why some coincide. Nothing more.

• Not really, religious laws were based on what people in power thought would create a productive society. Religion has been used to control people for a lot longer than 20 centuries... For example, Zoroastrianism, one of the earliest monotheistic religions. It's entirely based on bettering yourself as a person to be productive towards your community. Moral values aren't made by common sense, they're an inadvertent bi-product of communal growth

• Please stop you're not gonna make religious people be like "oh wow I sure was dumb believing in a book" just like I'm
    Not gonna convince you God exists. But please stop of with this inane superiority complex. Don't look down on religious people or Decide they're stupid. they're just normal people and yeah there are some religious morons but there's some
    Moron atheists. So please stop with this crap you're making atheists look like stick up pieces of shiit

• I'm talking about the Law! Not the bible!

• What?

• Because without laws if you come across someone bigger than you you're gonna be dead as dicks... And guess what kid, you're a #&@*ing kid. Most guys fit into that "bigger" category so you should be grateful for those laws.

• You should follow a book if you want to get a recipe correctly.

• Atheism is still a religion so this doesn't make sense to me

• Because you're in the society. If you're not a member of the society then don't follow. YOLO