What is philosophy to you?

Have you ever learn it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I see it in two ways.
    - Education tells you what to think.
    - Philosophy teaches you how to think.

I'm Catholic and I'll be the first to admit that education in religion is probably the most confused and weakest topics of schooling. I'm the UK, religious education is mantitory and compared to more straight forward topics like English, languages, maths etc. R. E is a bit all other the place.

I didn't learn much to anything of note about Christianity in high school and the way it was taught seemed pretty random so needless to say i wasn't Catholic till university when things encouraged me to approach it again. Until then i was agnostic.

My point is, i think religion and philosophy should mix into one in formal education. It provides a mutually beneficial structure and foundation for thinking and knowledge and would teach people how to effectively use their cognitive faculties to come up with new ideas and beliefs rather than the text book standard ideas that they don't actually have an explanation for.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 10

• Philosophy is to me a great way to spend time and learn more about myself and the world. In a nutshell, philosophy is not so much about ideas how to world functions or should function (though these exist too, of course), but about asking questions. It's the art of asking the right questions and it's a great subject for anyone who is both very curious and creative like myself.
    I haven't had any philosophy in school (actual classes) but my German teacher who also had a degree in philosophy offered voluntary classes in philosophy every Tuesday after the regular school hours were over. Because these meetings were nothing official, we didn't get any grades and we only had a little bit of homework (mostly reading). The class was something between him actually teaching us things and us discussing together with my teacher as a group. Kind of like what it's like on a university level. I still remember that he was one of the people who introduced me to existentialism. We read a lot of Sartre with him, which was especially cool because we were reading Sartre's famous play "Huis Clos" in French class in French at the same time. I really got into philosophy and especially the history of philosophy and how different people at different times asked different questions or came up with different ideas about the world and society.
    I thought about majoring in philosophy at University but eventually decided not to. But I still like to read books about it and discuss philosophical topics with like-minded people :-).

• In college I got a few courses about the views different philosophers had. I remember only the ones I was interested in.

• I was a philosophy major before I dropped out. I think everyone should study critical reasoning (the most important part of the study of philosophy) and that it should be a compulsory high school subject. But I think philosophy as an academic subject is stupid, it's a way of Iiving life to it's fullest and to wrap it up in stuffy elitist academia is inherently against the democratic spirit. The philosophical disscussion that I have with my minimum wage collegues is more in-depth and important than a 2000 word essay on Kantian ethics ever could remotely hope to be. Philosophy is the discussion and refinement of ideas and the attempt to issolate that into pompous lecture thereters takes away the value and spirit of this ancient and human art. Plato's stupid little club of rich boys created a monster.

• A (n) neverending/impossible journey
    towards complete knowledge.

• Philosophy is the study of everything so you can't learn everything

• Philosophy is the investigation of questions science can't answer.

• I've no formal education in the subject and I think that's for the best. I'd rather be influenced by interesting ideas then explore them on my own than be told everything like it's a science class.

In my mind it's the study of meaning and value in the world, simply put.

• every honest approacher of philosophy, moves on to philokalia eventually.

• I took 101, and got a C I could have done better, had I studied

• To flirt with random chicks of all countries