Is Intolerance a sign of mental illness?

I have been thinking during my time on GaG that there has been statements that homosexuality and transgenderism are not natural but in fact a mental illness - Well I think it is only fair I can flip it and say intolerance is unnatural therefore a sign of mental illness?

• Intolerance is unnatural and should be judged a mental illness
  • There are other reasons for intolerance (please comment)
  • Just Nosey - See Results

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not really like a mental illness. They just can't accept it at all due to what their religion teaches. That and they can't except change and anything differs from the norm.

They probably could be more tolerant but I doubt they want to be more tolerant about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I do think it could be due to a mental illness, but there are other reasons for it. There are a lot of people who started out as intolerant but later changed their views. I personally know some of them. It really depends on what you were raised to believe.

• Very good point about people who change their views.

What Girls Said 5

• LOL Let me know how this works out XD

I do legit think you may be on to something though. Like a sign of some conditions is an inability to deal with change or form new patterns of thought such as anxiety, dementia, Alzheimer's, certain types of autism, etc..

• I like this guy!

• That's rather insulting to people with mental illnesses (such as myself).

• I have bipolar myself and accept your point of view - My apologies if I have offended you

• They just have an extreme view of right and wrong... They r often religious. Or just too anal in general.

• I don't think intolerance is a mental illness... people who can't tolerate homosexuality and transgenderism are generally brought up that way, either by family or the society they live in.

• Good point - I tend to lean towards that view myself

What Guys Said 11

• If you present an argument people might agree but right now it's just "No I'm not, YOU are!"

You're challenging people to refute a claim without providing any basis for your claim, which doesn't invite debate. You'd be better served by asking the people you disagree with to make arguments for their own positions and then debate those. With this question you're changing the subject and it's unlikely you'll change anyone's mind.

• Intolerance is a dislike for what you don't understand. It's ignorance, not mental illness.

• That would probably be my view just the philosophical question where did the intolerance come from?

• Mental illness can be a relative term. Were the people at Jonestown collectively mentally ill? I remember reading a short story about a man who finds a lost city in the Andes populated by people who were centuries ago blinded by disease and no longer have functional eyes. They consider his talk about a world outside their valley to be the ramblings of a madman, and decide that his mental illness is caused by the strange globes in his head and the cure is to remove his eyes.

• Mental illnesses can be used as a legal excuse for unacceptable behavior, so that would probably lead to even more problems. Imagine some asshole committing a series of hate crimes and receiving milder punishment just for telling the court that they can't help it, they just have a mental illness called intolerance.

• Nah just a complete lack of empathy and a wish to connect with other people.

• I think they want others to do what they think is universally right, and universally not wrong.

• Research has linked intolerance and bigotry with low intelligence.

• then the majororuty of people are mentally ill. homosexuality and transgender don't affect people's quality of life per se.

• I actually think it's a sign of a bad upbringing.

• Intolerance for completely unnatural acts such as homosexuality does not indicate mental illness. It indicates a sense of realism.

Quite the opposite, people who advocate for homosexuality are covering their own eyes as to the harmful nature of these behaviors, not only to those who practice them, but on the effects of the rate of diseases spread.

If you are going to advocate for something, try and discover it's effects on society, rather than blindly advocating it based on emotion alone.

Perhaps those who advocate for transgenderism (Who are much more likely to commit suicide) and homosexuality (Who spread 75% of all new STDs including HIV) are mentally ill?

• If you don't want to get an std from a gay person, stop having sex with gay people.

• Oh man, I remember this guy. He used to post here all the time. Great fun. Always going on about gays and STDs.

• You mean speaking the truth? How easily you dismiss reality as "great fun" and cling to your own emotional illness. Turning our backs on reality in exchange for fantasy is unhealthy, and indicative of illness.

• Im perfectly fine with homosexuality but i do think transgender is a mental illness.