Were you spanked as a child? If so did it actually help?

• I was spanked and it made a postive impact on my behavior.
  • I was spanked and it made a negative impact on my behavior.
  • I wasn't spanked and I think spanking would have helped.
  • I wasn't spanked and spanking would have made my behavior worse.
  • I think I would have been the same regardless of being spanked or not.

Most Helpful Guy

• My dad grew up on a farm, where punishment was harsh and he had to wake up at 5 or 6am each day to work on it. Because of that, my dad believes in spanking, or even worse... The belt. *shudder* Yeah, and my dad didn't hold his spanks either, and he did multiple spanks D:

I don't know if you've ever been hit by belt before in the butt, but it stings like hell.

Did it help my behavior? Well, I can honestly say I remember every time I got spanked, and most of the reasons why. The painful reminder corrects your behavior quite fast, and you'll never make the same mistake again. That's for damn sure. While I hated every minute of a spanking (for obvious reasons), I think it helped because of the painful reminder. It may leave you with a negative image of the spanker, but it will certainly make you tread more cautious the next time you think about doing something troublesome.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wasn't spanked, but I was pinched hard and hit with a puzzle box by my mother.
    I'm glad I wasn't spanked, cause knowing myself, it would have made my behavior worse. I'm so against it.

What Guys Said 17

• I grew up in a time that the Teachers as well as the Principal has the authority to bust your butt , the parents used spankings as a means of correction / discipline ; and the law was on their side. if this had NEVER been abolished I personally feel the world would have been a much better and safer place than now. I feel that I turned out ok to have had the number of azz whipping that I had growing up.

• Yup I sure was, I was spanked, had my mouth washed out with soap sent straight to bed without dinner all that stuff.

I loathed and hated my parents for it at the time but now that I am older I look back and thank them for it. It taught me what was right and what was wrong and it kept me out of trouble. And I will do the same thing to my own kids should they disobey.

and I couldn't agree with @bryon (s) comment more.

• Geez, a lot more people got spanked than I would have guessed. It just doesn't seem like a parent thing to do. But I think a kid will adjust to the harshest punishment. Standing in the corner felt terrible because I felt like my parents were ashamed of me.

• Standing in the corner was the easy way out for me. My mom just couldn't spank me, so she did tell me to go stand in a corner a few times. That never really worked as a punishment.

• I was, for sure, and it helped a ton. In my opinion, not spanking kids is a form of child abuse, itself. Parents not disciplining their kids is a lack of responsibility.

• Really? I'm not trying to be that person but me and my brother are goody two shoes that excel in school and our parents didn't lay a finger on us.

• Sure, I'm not saying that people don't come out okay without it, but I still think it can be pretty important when kids really need it.

• Yup I sure did, but only as a last resort. I use to have to stand in a corner on one leg, write "I will not do such and such again" like 500 times, no tv videos games or going outside, take on chores me and sister normally split on. All of it helped me in a positive way and I will do the same to my kids.

• I was spanked a lot. Maybe if half the time I was spanked reasonably then I would be willing to let my dad near my future house. I know it's pathetic compared to what other kids go through but with my dad and I it was borderline emotional abuse, not just spanking. That's why when I'm on my own he will NOT be a part of my life.

Shit that got deep.

• Yes, I was and I would say it made a positive impact on me as the school I'm in is full of wannabe gangsters, troublemakers, dirty sluts and drug dealers. Pffft.

And I'm the only one who pays attention in class...

• Level 1 Hand
    Level 2 Slipper
    Level 3 Belt
    Level 4 Wooden spoon
    Level 5 Combination of the previous levels
    Level 6 Mother and Father tag team!
    Level 7 Previous levels and then go to bed

Yes, it helped.

• Spanked, not. Beaten, of hell yes ! To add injury to insult, I had
    to cut my own switch. Now that made me think. God help you if
    you brought back a switch that was too small. BAD JUJU !

• Yep, definitely. I believe it made me a better person than what I would be otherwise. Good parenting.

• I was spanked. Just not by my parents.

• No I wasn't.

• My mom spanked my butt when I was kid because i had been bad boy too much lol. Nothing changed actually, I just got upset at that time.

• I believe being spanked as a kid made it harder for me to take risks and make decisions...

• will i didn't exactly get spanked, it was more like MMA type of thing lol, but on a serious note i think it did good and bad

• No of course it's banned in our relgion to hit anyone so it's more like firm talking and it works

• My ass caught a spanking on a few occasions and it made me tow the line, some kids are just dickheads though and even a severe beating wouldn't change their behavior.. it depends on the kid.

What Girls Said 9

• I was a perfect child so I was probably only spanked once or twice.

• I was spanked, not a lot, but I feel that it kept me from doing the same stupid shit repeatedly.

• I was spanked and it made a positive impact on me. If I wasn't I probably wouldn't get the memo and would continue doing whatever I was doing. I knew that I hated getting spanked because it flat out hurt! Lol. So it kept me aligned and I definitely knew my boundaries. I plan to do the same with my kids. But of course without excessive hitting, there's a line between discipline and abuse.

• No, my mother never hit us. We didn't need to be hit to understand there are consequences to our actions, she just explained that to us and we turned out okay.

• No but I have been spanked as an adult and it definitely helped

• Nope.., I never even got yelled at, lol.

• Yeah and a few times I had to hold books and stand in the corner. Because of my annoying niece -_-

• Yes I use to get spankings when I was younger and it actually did improve my behavior

• I did get spanked with belts. So did my siblings. But only when we did something really bad and it did stop us from doing them again. In a way it kinda also taught us that there are consequences to our actions. So yup.