Why are so much of natural human desires and urges sinful?

Why are humans considered so vile by most major religions and that many of our urges and impulses so sinful and terrible?

Most Helpful Guy

• As a Christian even I dont understand this way of thinking. How can a baby, something so sweet and innocent and full of joy be predisposed to be evil.

Approaching from a religion standpoint Adam and Eve allowed sin to become part of human nature by disobeying God and eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Yet throughout the Bible there are stories of man's goodness and purity. It is also said that there is not one without sin on the Earth except for Jesus. (If you are not Christian or are a different religion, please do not take offense as I mean none.) I believe this due to my own religious standings, but I also believe in Gods great forgiveness and mercy.

From a logical and reasoning standpoint a newly born child does not understand the difference between good and bad, what is a sin and what is not. How can this miracle of life in itself have sin. As the child grows older, we see it build towns with blocks and create new wonders every day. With this same capacity for creativity we see children destroy. From tearing down sand castles to throwing rocks at animals. But then we see these same children transfer a work from the sidewalk to the grass, or feed squirrels and birds. They let butterflies land on their noses, remove a stick from an ants path, and watch baby birds hatch with fascination.

I do not think that we are born with sin in our hearts, but rather goodness, kindness, compassion. It I the influences we receive from then on that effect our hearts and souls. I believe we are all born with the potential for great good, and great evil. Even though I have had a religious upbringing my family believes this too, no matter what church or others say. Some shit that people say about religion, just don't make any sense at all.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because making people feel ashamed about their natural urges and impulses is the best way to make them think they need to be controlled by some higher power.

What Guys Said 11

• There are other reasons, but part of it is from a spiritual point of view. When someone is dedicating themselves to a spiritual life, a lot of those things are basically a distraction.

It's kind of like trying to listen to one person in a crowd, but everyone else is making so much noise you miss out on what the first one is saying. Vices, drugs, yummy food, music, sex - they are all distractions that set someone back. It's not just some religious dogma. That's really what happens.

• Stealing is bad. Killing is bad. Raping is bad.

Not all natural desires are good! I'm glad we moved from medieval times to now. We are intelligent being that know better, and we need to focus on positive things to create a better future for everyone.

Gender Equality!
    Gays Equality!
    Racial Equality!

EVERYTHING TOWARDS THE SHINING LIGHT!

• Because think about it

When was religion created? Yea you got it a long time ago... back then those rules you talk about made sense to protect individuals. We created the idea of a sin to keep control and order within regions

Today, we can toss those books out to be honest. They have zero merit

• If you keep thinking about it, it'll drive you crazy.

• The idea is that they aren't natural human desires and that's why they're sinful.

• Because our consciences tell us that many of the things we want to do are wrong.

• because they are trying to control you

• thats a common misunderstanding, especially in christianity and Judaism. its not sinful to have sex, its sinful to do it with someone other than your husband/ wife.

• What better way to control someone than to suggest they have a problem and you have an answer?

• Its for their own benefit, these urges if out of control practiced would ruin you and society. Most of them are not natural too

• Because religion was invented by a bunch of squares.

What Girls Said 2

• It's just a way to make people oppress their natural desires and emotions to control them and make them think that they need to be guided and their own judgement isn't good enough.

• Because the Devil is a mean sadistic psychopath.