Girls, Are any of you feminists? What are feminists really about?

I only have assumptions about what a feminists is. I assume it is girls who are against men treating girls unequally and are fighting for equal rights? I am not claiming that that is the truth, it is just what I assume because of the lack of knowledge I have about feminists and what a feminist really is. Any feminist girls able to explain to me what you are really about? Cause I feel like I support feminism, and girls right to be treated as complete equals to men.

13

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 12

• I'm a feminist. I agree with what you said, I am against women being treated unfairly - though we should realise that it's not just men that treat women badly, feminism deals with women doing it too, as well as society as a whole. (I'm also against men being treated unfairly)

• Hmm... I am still learning about feminism. Why are women treating other women badly? There was a point in history when all women were under the control of men, and were restricted of their rights. Women had to fight for their rights, and they had to fight to get where they are today, why would some want to ruin what they fought for by treating other women badly?

• You make a good point there, i can't argue that. This world just needs more people like you, and more feminists. I prefer to wear really tight girls jeans rather than baggy mens jeans. But i get judged by others for being a guy wearing girls jeans and i hate it. I like your world views, dont change it.

• Internalized misogyny. It's a huge problem fer sher.

• You're correct about what it is - it is simply about being treated as equals and respected as human beings. The rest of the specific issues we focus on stem from there...

One thing I would suggest to you, as a male supporter of feminism, is to try not to use the word "girls" when the people you are talking about are actually "women", as it is infantilizing. Use "girls" if you are talking about female children and "women" when you are talking about adult females. It's not a really big deal, but it is important to consider how we talk about groups of people and the words we use.

• That's what it means to me. I don't understand men who feel like their women should obey or defer to them. I don't understand news reports that lament a bombing where women got killed (I get the point about children and noncombatants). I want my brains and my needs to be taken as seriously as the ideas and desires of the men in my world. And I'm not trying to argue that men and women are the same - clearly men don't bear children and women don't gain muscle as easily and... and... and... I just think that men and women have complementary gifts to offer society and we should stop pretending one of us is more important than any other of us.

• You sure you're 46?

• Well see, i dont want it to come off as like an insult or anything, csuse i agree with you and the things you say , there just seems to be some 16 or 17 years old mind mixed in. Example: "and... and... and..." xD

• Huh. Maybe I just spend too much time with teenagers. :-) I really am old and grey and saggy. (Best years of my life so far, too)

• That is what feminists claim to be about, but they aren't really. Although they will argue with me anyway.

• What do you think they are really about?

• You may below what ever delusion lets you sleep at night.

• How is respecting and treating girls the way they deserve a delusion? Men have always walked all over girls and men have completely held girls back from everything and treated them like inferior trash. Feminists want nothing but equality for both men and especially for women, not to rise up as the dominant gender and rule over men and the world. However, maybe men deserve to experience a little bit of the unequal hate that girls have always had to struggle with. Where do u even get this idea that feminists want to become better than men?

• True feminism is exactly what you said it was. By those standards, I definitely consider myself a feminist. However, many people these days have taken feminism too far, to the point where it stops really being feminism and becomes female chauvinism. For example, this post: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1618366-why-the-future-belongs-to-the-fairer-sex . Even though this kind of thinking isn't feminism, the people who hold those ideas talk like it is which has given feminism a bad reputation these days.

• Oh damn... I can actually agree with some of that though. But this person pushes it so far to the extreme, I actually think the Asker is a guy with a girls profile and enjoys submitting other posts with similar points of view, if you check out their history. They are taking it to an unrealistic extreme, and I do not believe that any of it is a true point of view from a true acclaimed feminist. Just a stolen valor type of situation, giving the real feminists who are truly fighting for their rights of equality and fair treatment, a bad name.

• I used acclaimed wrong, but you get what I mean...

• That's certainly possible. It's also possible that it really is a girl who's upset with the male gender for personal reasons. In any case, feminism should never be about making women dominant, it's supposed to be about equality. It's great that plenty of men like you are for equality too :)

• I'm not a feminist. But yes, I do believe in women rights, just as much as I believe in male rights - and human rights in general. I believe in equality and justice from a pragmatic stance. A lot of girls tell me then you are a feminist! No. I just dont like the word. The word encompasses only 'females' and there are a group of them who seem to be bias. I support the rights of females in a great sense. But its not just a word or a theory anymore, people have put a lot of barriers and limitations to what it can and cannot include.

• Feminism is about equal rights for and the fair treatment of any and all people.

The name for the term may reference women, but that is not entirely the case. It is more about changing society in a way that men and women are treated as equals, and downcasting the common tropes and sentiments that are damaging to any gender. It would be about men being open with their feelings and not being immune to the consequences of their actions. It is about women not being oversexualized or degraded, or being expected to be passive and submissive. It is also generally about eliminating the notion of socially acceptable misogyny and transmisogyny.

Broadly, its principles also apply to any minority (both racial and sexual), and generally if you are not a cis white male you are not being treated wonderfully by all of the world.

• just against misogyny in general, so it's also about helping guys be more open about their feelings and stuff without being called a wimp, and taking abuse towards men seriously

• true I hate how men are made to feel ashamed just for having normal human emotions!

• I am a Feminist and I don't care if you hate Feminists/Feminism
    Say anything you want.
    Feminism is about equality for women! :)

• I refuse to be a feminist. What an I fighting for that I don't already have?

• Well There is a lot more to it than just what it can do for you, i hope you know that, right? I am a guy, and i already have everything i could need, but I am still a feminist and support the fight for all girls to be treated equally as men. You might have everything, but that doesn't mean having a feminist point of view is wrong.

• why do you care?

• I care because i am a feminist myself who wants to gain more knowledge about in general and eventually learn more about how feminism played a role in history

• @Sara413 I meant what benefit is he getting from asking this. how many guys do you see ask a question like this? @OP just google the history stuff, you'll find plenty of sites.

• I am banned from Google┬« for life. I did not commit the crime, but it was either plead guilty and receive a lifetime ban from Google┬« or continue on defending my innocence with the possibility of being found guilty and sentenced to 35 years in prison. Do the math for yourself and tell me what you would have done in my situation!!!

• Feminists are fighting for equal rights, not more rights than men. They want to have the same treatment as men and have the typical female stereotypes gone. Although it has gotten better from the past because of the female acts around the worlds girls are still below men because of the stereotypes, opportunities etc. Feminists aren't against men they are against inequality.