Is it wrong to touch someone else's hair without asking?

A lot of African American's with their natural (fro type hair) often remark that they have their hair touched without their consent and find it offensive and intrusive of their personal space. On the flip side I've heard comments to the affect of what's the big deal, its just hair. I personally think in general people don't allow people to just touch them in anyway without their consent, so to me, hair falls in that category.

So do you think its wrong to touch someone's hair without them giving you permission or is it or should it be, no big deal?

• You should never touch someone's hair without their permission, that's a violation of their personal space/privacy
  • It's no big deal, I think people just do it out of curiosity, and people shouldn't get upset about it

Most Helpful Girl

• YES. It's not just African American females! One of my close friends is Mexican and French. She looks like a white girl but you can tell she's ethnic by the incredible thickness and long length of her hair. It literately goes all the way down to her butt. She has had random people reach out and touch it and she finds it to be very rude! Personally speaking, I've had people try to reach out and invite themselves to my hair as well. I'm Brazilian with curly hair and when it gets long, it looks like a waterfall of loose spiral curls falling down my back. People will just come up to me, compliment it, then try to touch it and I'll move away because I don't know where the heck their hands have been. You're not entitled to just touch someone and violate their personal space, even their hair, just because you think it looks nice or you're curious.

It's not "no big deal". People aren't entitled to just reach out, do whatever they want, and touch you for no legitimate reason.

• I'm with you 100%. I think a lot of people think they are entitled to touch someone elses hair just because they have the power to reach out and do it, but your hair is a part of your own body, so its a complete violation.

• LOL!

• I'm so sincere lol

What Guys Said 6

• Hair is part of that person. Touching someone's hair is like touching a person.

It's an absolute no-no.

I don't see why so many people have a hard time grasping that idea!

• I'm not a fan of people touching me with no warning :(

• I don't mind who touches my hair as long as they are a girl hahaha

• You should never touch *anything* that doesn't belong to you...

• I dont mind girls touch mine

• Girls do it to me but I bet they'd be pissed if I did it to them!

What Girls Said 4

• I always fucking hated when girls would touch my hair (I'm white) it's so creepy and unnecessary. i would NEVER touch someone without permission

• OMG, yes! Like, you don't even know if they are a clean person and you just dig around in there, ughhhhh!

• Exactly! Hahah I always got touched on the days I decided not to wash my hair too -_-

• It is...
    It feels intimate - hence it's inappropriate.

• you should not touch
    they will not like it without permission

• Yes never do that.