Is it wrong to hook up with someone who's on a break from their relationship?

I know it could get confusing and might be a bad idea but is it wrong? Would that be considered cheating with them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I would say so. Its a break not a break up so there is the intention of getting back together, having sex with some within this time period is basicly cheating in that you are still technicly together. If they are actively seeking out sex while on a "break" then that would mean that they are trying to use it as a loophole for cheating with out actually cheating. This obviousley is cheating since the intent is to sleep with someone without the others knowledge or consent, and the attempt to justifie and get away with it. I would say do not do it because I doubt you would want that to happen to you and the guy obviousley has no interest beyond getting sex.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not just so much "Wrong" here but a Big risk while they are on this 'Break' from their mate.
    You do Not know how it is going to turn out and with them doing some soul searching, it is a 'Risk' One is taking while they are breaking Because... They could always go back with someone who is not an Ex.
    Better to stay clear here, dear, and not end up in what I call a "Triangle threesome," where you are way at the top, looking down, from side to side, at the Cozy Couple.
    Good luck. xx

• Everyone Gets Cheated in some way and yes, if no talk of Breaking-up, it is Considered Cheating while on the Mate break. xx

• *Even if he has taken his break, you go out with him, you develop these feelings, which happens, he decides to go Back with her and talk it out, they make a go of it and try again.. where does this leave you and your broken heart? xx

What Guys Said 6

• What does it mean that they are "on a break" from a relationship?

• You know what? Someone else's relationship situation isn't your business. If u want to hookup with him, and he abides, that's not your issue.

Life gets so much easier and more enjoyable, when you don't "moral police" everyone.

• I've never believed it to be wrong. When two people say they need a " break" from their relationship its generally because one or both of them don't have the guts to say that its over or that they want to test out the waters elsewhere.

• Not at all if you both want it then just go for it

• Yes, it is wrong because once they are off break they can go back to their ex lover

• No, nothing wrong. A break is actually a break up, but both parties are too insecure and afraid of loss to call it what it is. Fuck away.

What Girls Said 3

• Clearly, that person shows no loyalty to the person they are supposed to love if they are planning to eventually get back together with that person.

Taking a break shouldn't be used as time to explore other penises/vaginas.
    It should be used as a way to clear your head and think about whether the relationship is best for you or not.

Morally, you'd be wrong.

But realistically, you have no obligation to the women (loyalty wise) so you can choose to sleep with that man if you want to.

I would say he's the one who's wrong because he should care enough about his partner to actually use the "break" what it is intended for.

• He wouldn't be cheating on her but he'd definitely be betraying her trust (to an extent).

• Well.. depends on what kind of a break they're on. If they specified to still be 'in a relationship', but take a break from each other - then they're still in a relationship.
    If they decided to take a break - as in break up and maybe get back together - then they're not in a relationship and you have nothing to do with them-- So if you want to hook up do it.

• See, that's why I don't really like breaks in relationships. My thought process is that taking a break means that you intend on getting back together. Which means that you basically are still together. Which would mean that hooking up with someone would pretty much be cheating. But not everyone feels that way.