Why can't I open up?

I feel like I'm always in this shell where even if I communicate with people, I don't open up. And I think that's affecting my social life. But the thing is that I don't know Why I do this. I don't want to but it's just very natural for me. And I've had a good childhood so I don't think it has anything to do with the past.

Most Helpful Guy

• Without more information it would seem difficult to render an informed opinion. But it might be said that in general, when you put yourself out there, you're taking a risk. If you don't tell anyone anything and they show no interest in interacting with you, it doesn't really matter, because they didn't actually know you. But if you share your thoughts with them, if you let them 'see you' as it were, and if they still show no interest in you as a person... then it's no longer simply a case of them not knowing you... they have in a sense, rejected you.

And of course that's assuming they don't choose to be actively derogatory towards you based on whatever it is they have learned about you.

In a way it's much easier to remain in a shell, you're protected from being rejected, or insulted for who you are as a person. But in trade, it's harder to find people with whom you might have a connection, with whom you might be able to be friends.

Whether or not this is the reason for your current state is perhaps difficult to say, but it is perhaps something worth considering. I would note however, that opening up is a risk, and while it might help your social life, there are no guarantees. If a person opens up, they must seemingly be willing to accept the risks it presents.

Most Helpful Girl

• try opening up to people you trust little by little. the more you do it, the easier it gets.

What Guys Said 3

• May be that's how you are as a person.

• Just sounds like perhaps you haven't learned to express yourself to others. Everyone's style is different.

• Its probably your brains defense mechanism. Kind of how people get asthma or allergies. I don't know im just guessing here.

What Girls Said 1

• Well you're not alone there :/ but for me it has to do with trust issues, like horrible trust issues from my damnnn mental illness and past