What are Hungarians considered as?

In school our History and Hungarian teachers always claim with pride that Hungarians are Asians, but they are in Europe for about 1000 years, so, what are they?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, Historically Hungarians decend from the Mongols (Mongolia) who invaded and Seized Southern Russia, And with it most of East Europe.

d3pl14o4ufnhvd.cloudfront.net/.../..._original.jpg

So, Yes, Hungarians do decend from Mongolians (Asians), Though, When you take into account hundreds and hundreds of years of childbirth and mixing races with Europeans (Saxons and Celtics), Hungarians today share very little physical traits in common with their Mongolian Counterparts (Though a lot of Hungarians do have a naturally browner / yellow-eer tanned skin), Probably worth noting im not being racist with that, They actually do, I work with 3 hungarians and they all have Brown/Yellow skin and Dark (Almost black) hair, Just like a lot of Asian males.

• As I'm in Hungarian school (not in Hungary) there go just kids who claim to be Hungarians (ofc) and I'm darker than them (I'm just half Hungarian) and have really dark brown hair and eyes as well while they are pale with ligh brown or blonde hair and light brown, blue, green or hazel eyes...
      So they have little to no Mongolian genes, this was another thing that was unclear to me.
      Thank you for explaining it, and as I read your comment you didn't sound racist. ^^

• Mhmm, LIke i said, It varies massively, Obviously when the Mongols hit Europe, They bred with the local Saxons from Prussia (Germany) and the Celts (Denmark/Nor/Fin/Baltics).

So, Some Hungarians are closer to mongol decent whilst some are close to european. Just random xD

Most Helpful Girl

• Historically the Bulgarians descend at first from Molgolia (The Huns), but the country is (now) located in Europe. Conclusion: Bulgarians are Europeans, but are of Asian descent. Though, as Riggers mentions.. quite a lot of different folks ruled over this land, so it's unlikely to say that all Bulgarians are of 100% Asian descent.

What Guys Said 11

• The classic boundary of Asia is well to the east of Hungary. Lebanon, Turkey and Russia. There is a small pocket of Europe in Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

• They're from Ural mountains. Which is technically the border between Europe and Asia. After 1000 years, the mixing of ethnicities makes any notion of ethnic origin nonesense.

• Well they are descended from the Magyars, but they interbred a lot with Europeans as did the Bulgarians.

• I got Hungarian ancestry in me and we are European no Asian in me

• EUROPEANS!!

• They're white. However, they have a higher proportion of the Altaic/Mongoloid ancestry than other Europeans.

Finns and Baltics have an even higher proportion.

• Magyars :)

And renowned for Langos :p

• Try kürtőskalács. :v
      Bogrács. :v
      Szalonna. :v
      Pálinka. :v

• Oh, i did when i was in Budapest in 1991. great city with lovely people. i love the wine area of Eger as well

• they are slavs. hence euroepans.

• We were told that they were teached the same thing when they were young while the truth is the thing with Asia and bla, bla, bla (we are told the same story like every year).

• They claim that they are children of Hun Turks

• slavs I guess

• I was always taught that they are Europeans.

What Girls Said 1