What do you believe happens after death?

I know this is somewhat of a morbid question but I'm interested in hearing different perspectives about this and seeing how opinions on this topic may differ among different cultures or types of people.

So, what do you think happens after we die? Do you believe that humans have a soul that will continue to "live" after the body dies? Or do you think that nothing happens? What are your beliefs based on? Religion? Or something else?

• I believe that when we die, our souls will either go to heaven or hell
  • I believe in reincarnation of the soul
  • I believe that nothing happens, we simply cease to exist
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Physically - 'To ashes to ashes, dust to dust' - what came from nature goes back to it
    2. Life is a form of energy and something sure must be happening to what moved this puppet of a body (that we so grandly think that 'I' do it)
    3. Can't comment on something that has varied beliefs but my idea is for whatever reason we have a life and hence a purpose, so live it whether in control or not :D who knows what happens after one hits the bucket

Vote 'D' - None of us are an authority on this topic to decide what happens post life especially when we can't predict what's going to happen next moment :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted C.

I believe just like how I was non-existent before I was ever born, is the same way things will be after I die.

All of the other things in my belief, is to give someone comfort, peace, and hope.
    It makes the process of passing so much easier in my opinion because you have a whole other life to look forward.

I'm the type of person that likes to look at reality for what it is.
    I'll be dead as dirt.

-----
    The thing is... this is what I believe.
    But I respect every one elses views.
    I do not try to argue religion and what's "real" and what isn't.
    We all have beliefs, nothing is factual.
    We will all know when it is our time.

Although people usually don't see eye to eye on religion.
    I like to respect every one.
    Who am I to tell someone else what they believe is wrong?
    It's true according to them and that is all.
    I ask for the same respect in return.

• To clarify in the 3rd line (I am referring to other peoples religion)
      I believe what they believe is to give them comfort, peace and hope.

• Yeah, I agree. I definitely think it's important to respect other people's beliefs. I may not agree with someone but I won't tell them that their belief is wrong simply because, I treat others the way I would like to be treated. I know not everyone shares my belief system and that's okay with me :)

What Guys Said 24

• The complete cessation of thought and feeling. All of our thoughts comes from our brain and thinking without a brain is like digesting without a stomach. I just don't see how it's possible to process information without the organ that processes information. Why even have a brain to begin with? Why even have a physical body if our consciousness can exist independently of it? I don't have all the answers and I'd never pretend that I do which is why I thrive on doubt not certainty.

I think I remember you asking this question before. My answer hasn't changed much.

• I don't remember if I did or not. Lol I really wanted people to give me a real reason for WHY they believe the way they do. But of course, I suppose no one will know until they actually die. Lol

• True that! I actually said that on another answer to one of these questions. When we were worried my sister was going to die my dad and I talked about life and death and he said to me "you can spend your whole life worrying about an answer nobody gets until you die" which might offend some people but he's always been blunt lol

• haha! Yes, it's definitely true though. Lol

• I voted C. I think the correct answer is "nothing." People may ask well, what is "nothing"?

So far, everything that we feel, whether it be physical or emotional, is connected with our minds. Our brain allows us to feel everything around us. Even while we are sleeping, we are using our brains to dream. So what were to happen if the brain shuts down? You will no longer be able to "feel" anything. No emotional or physical feeling.

• Your body gets burned until it turns into ashes or you get put in a box and get buried and maggots will eat you.

• I really have no idea, but I'm comfortable with that. Of course I'm hopeful that there is something beyond physical death, but I don't feel, at the present, like it's something I can fully know.

I went to a funeral yesterday so I've been thinking about this a lot. Guy was 31 years old, died of a heart attack out of nowhere, and he's leaving behind a wife and two toddlers. I hope there is something there for him, and for all of us.

• Voted C
    Our heart is off, our brain is off, the rest is decaying rapidly. Nothing thus, the void.
    We're incinerated or we offer the maggots a few good meals.

• I believe your consciousness, thought, and feelings all cease. Probably like when you are anesthetized or when you go to sleep before you start dreaming. I don't necessarily *want* this to be true. However, the universe isn't obliged to care about what we want to be true.

I have a question, if I may, to you, xHoneyxBeex, regarding hell. May I ask it, even at the risk of offending you?

• On a side note, I've always wondered why atheists are disproportionately represented on GAG.

• @RedThread
      That's an interesting poll and something I've long suspected. However, I don't think it changes much of what I said. When polled in the United States, even anonymously, somewhere around 90% of Americans answer that they do believe in a god of some kind. This particular poll has nothing to do with church attendance, only in belief.

I conducted my own poll on GAG, most of whose users are American, and got nowhere near the 90% claimed in other polls. Since I doubt the other polls are lying, I kind of concluded that atheists are disproportionately represented on GAG, and I've always wondered why that is.

• @jacquesvol
      See my response to RedThread. I am neither proud nor ashamed of that power of religion over atheists in our society

• The physical body shuts down and the energy that once embodied it quickly escapes... your conscious mind lives on in a different form but without human constraints.

Since energy is neither created or destroyed, it's possible that energy has information from your life stored in it... that continues to get recycled within the universe

• Interesting concept. So in your opinion, that energy would technically be what we consider to be the "soul" then?

• Most people celebrate birthdays, but sometimes i think we should celebrate death... not because the person is gone but rather because the person is relieved from this world and his physical body. That there going to get answer in some way or form

Think about this, do you really control yourself? This is how we can think of energy and where we can ossicle go after. We don't control anything, you can't control the automated actions in you... like heartbeat, controlling white blood cells, or any process for that matter

It controls you... and what is giving them instructions,... hummmm

• That's definitely an interesting way to look at it. Thanks for your response! :)

• incomprehensible nothingness that is so incomprehensibly nothing that talking about it is impossible.

• Nothing, we're dead, our purpose is to feed "the earth".

• I'm not religious and really have no answer whatsoever, but my belief is that when you finally die, you simply move on to another life with no inclination it every occurs, so reincarnation in a way.

• Same thing that happened before I was born: nothing. I didn't exist before I was born and it didn't bother me one bit.

• Physically: Your body get's preserved and buried, your body turns to ashes or your body decays like a dead animal.
    Spiritually: Your spirit either goes to Heaven or Hell depending how you lived your life.

• I am an atheist... simply

• i really hope it´s not c but it sound´s to be the most likely to me :/

• I want to believe that nmy conscience will continue to exist and im aware of that, but... im afraid it will just disappeart... damn you death, i hate you

• Probably not much.

• Nothing happens y'all, I guarantee it. Please stop taking refuge in the religion because of your fear of death. Religion feeds on fear.

• Philosophically I think reincarnation is the most likely. Nothing ceases to exist, it just enters a different state of being. It's not something I'm completely convinced by though.

• I like the idea of reincarnation but I don't believe in it.

• I watched a documentary about reincarnation last week. The idea is definitely very interesting to me.

• I say other

• I believe we go to heaven cos thats where Id want my dad to be at right now waiting for me lol

• nothign there is no afterlife.

• Your consciousnesses, which was an illusion in any case, ceases. Your 'soul' to the extent that word has any meaning, is found in the pattern, the relation of atoms and molecules which make up your brain. These go their separate ways and the pattern is dispersed.

• C is the only sensible choice, the others are just wishful thinking. Your consciousness is epiphenomenal.

What Girls Said 12

• You go back to the nothingness that you were before you were born. You have no recollection of what the year 1836 was like, you weren't there and have no feeling for it. That sort of nothingness is what you go in to again forever, and your mind and body have no attachment to the planet to be sad or scared about it.

• I believe that nothing happens and we simply cease to exist; however, I do assume that our energy is recycled in some way, just as the matter that comprised us is recycled (returned to dirt). What I don't know is whether that energy is just released into the universe as a blank slate that can be turned into anything, whether we linger as spirits in some way, whether it becomes another person's energy, or an animals, etc., and if it does become another person or animal's energy, if there is any sort of stamp left on it from your life.

Of all the religious theories about life after death, I find reincarnation the most believable.

• What I honest to goodness actually believe is that we simply cease to exist entirely. Everything that made us is pulled apart and there is nothing what made us ourselves left. Honestly, I hope that is the case... an eternity of anything, whether it's lingering or heaven or some other form of existence, sounds like just way too long to do anything.

• I hope it's reincarnation, I would like to believe in that.
    But, realistically speaking, it's probably eternal darkness, nothingness.

• Well, the scientific part of me believes that once we die, everything will just stop but the spiritual me believes that it somehow goes on when we die - I do not believe in god or heaven and all that but the thought of something like an afterlife kind of helps to take away my fear a little.

• We stop existing, no soul/consciousness in our deteriorating bodies that will now become food to detritivores.

• I believe in life after death and in resurrection so our bodies will be joined again with our spirits. I believe that we will have eternal growth and progress.

• C) Once you die, you're dead. There is no point anymore. You simply cease to exist and the world goes back to normal.

• I believe nothing happens :D

• I believe you will either go to heaven or hell.

• I believe we either go to heaven/Hell based on our deeds.

• I believe nothing happens.

• I hope it's A or C. I don't wanna relive in this earth it's gotten worse already. Even though I live a positive blessed life. The society and generation has been a disappointment.