Question for Christian or former Christian GAGers: Have you ever been to a legalistic church?

Legalism is where they are KJV version of the Bible only, no makeup, women/girls cannot wear pants, no secular or contemporary christian music allowed, they get very political at times on topics, no monopoly or card games because they are "evil", I've even seen in some churches women sit on one side and men on the other. I went to a church like this for a day one time and was surprised because I grew up in a church where what isn't acceptable like i listed is acceptable.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• My church seems similar.

We primarily use KJV, but other versions are used as well. The women do not wear makeup, and they do not wear pants. Any Christian music is allowed. Card games are perfectly fine, and some believe gambling is wrong.

• Whats your opinion of CCM such as Casting Crowns or Tobymac

• I can't remember. Sorry about that!

• Thanks for MHO!

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think it's good being a fundamentalist. They focus on appearances and typicalities, they are against technology and music, they have distinct ryles as to what is and is nor allowed, they always appear happym calm and collected.. they are hypocrites. They focus on appearances and typicalities and loose the gist

• one preacher there said he went to some churches where he didn't know whether it was a church or a rock concert

• I am an orthodox christian and I styde pastoral and cultural theology. In our churches we just have byzantine psalms, mainly because it's part of our tradition. Though there is talk among us that we have to make new hymns in contemporary greek so that they can be more easily understood.

• Here in the USA it's more of using traditonal hymns such as Amazing grace or more modern worship songs. My church used both

• I've visited churches like that before.. every thing u mentioned except the men & women sitting on separate sides part

• This one talked about disciplining kids in our Sunday school class, spanking the main topic, all men wore suits and ties

• I think any version should be fine. I slightly prefer KJV though to be honest.
      What do u think of KJV only?

• only kjv is used and preached

• No I haven't been but I haven't been going to church latey bc my old church kicked out their old preacher bc he said he didn't belive the end of the world would end like everyone else in the church said it would. Since he has been gone the new preacher only preaches about the end of the world. They changed so many things. Like you can't to that etc... The old preacher was like we are all sinners and all sin. You can't be perfect. Which I agreed on.

This new preacher is bad. I felt like I was I some end of the world cult. Thank goodness I quit.

• My Grams church is like that. We have to wear dresses or skirts and our head has to be covered. They only sing traditional hymns and if I'm not mistaken I believe that the sides are gender specific.

• that sounds kinda stupid in a way but you can't ridicule them for their belief

• You would think by now they would know the concept of a free country lol

• Right. God said come as you are.

• And here I thought us Baptist's were strict.

What Guys Said 4

• I am Christian however I would not attend a church like this. I believe in my religion but I use common sense like how can monopoly be evil or women wearing makeup. Different denominations try to add more stipulations to their beliefs so they are better than others.

• Monopoly to them = greed. I grew up Southern Baptist, Ironically my church never was anti CCM, Anti makeup, and pants for women, we had all of that. we could use any translation of the bible as long as we understood, the preacher even used slideshows and powerpoints.

• Being balanced is the best way to be. I think too much of anything is bad. Great question by the way.

• I believe that those who need help should get government aid such as: Single mothers, seniors, poverty level, people with diseases like Cancer, diabetes, lupus etc.. But the process should be more through just like with gun ownership/purchase. People should be able to have them but be willing to get strenuous background checks and mental evaluations to get/own one.

• I dont know, people would probably consider me a 'radical' Christian.

However, i dont go to church. I, like Leo Tolstoy, believe you should find God in your own eyes before seeking the advice of others...

• Judging by your description I'd consider them fundamentalists.

• I've never been to one no, (I've been going to church since 1999, been a Christian (baptized) since 2004, so...)

• I've been since 2006. I used to love the youth retreats and concerts

• exactly, I had trouble reading Shakespeare at times in school, but still was good at it with the modern translation

• Ah, ok.