Do you agree that if someone has to tell/remind you all the time of how great their life is, their life actually isn't that great?

My ex I broke up with 5 years ago contacted me today and keeps telling me how great his life is and I was wondering if it applies to everyone and if you all agree.

• Their life is good, they're just bragging.
  • Their life probably isn't as good as they say it is.

Most Helpful Guy

• Their life is good but they aren't sure if it's good and they ain't secure in its "goodness" so they need other people to endorse it probably.

Also , that sounds like he's doing it out of spite as if he expects your life to be shitty 5 years down the line.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree. They're trying to convince themselves, not you.

What Guys Said 4

• I think it's a way to make the ex jealous. I don't believe his life is as great as he says it is. You ain't going to tell an ex that your doing bad. It's an image thing.

• I don't know, sometimes people just like to share the positives during a conversation, especially with people they feel "distant" to. What's that saying? "How come we feel the most comfortable being at our worst around those closest to us?"

With very close family and friends, you typically share "negative" experiences and "seek comfort." It's a, "Woe to me" fest, or "Feel sorry for me" fest.

With people you feel "distant" and "not so close" to, for example an ex from 5 years ago, you get the feel that the social fabric that holds that weak relationship or connection together is so thin, that it probably will be the point of no return if you start using it as an emotional tampon.

So, even if someone has had a "hard day at work," or "sprained their ankle and has to wear a brace now for the next 2 months," or weak "oh that sucks" stuff like that... people generally don't fill up the conversation with stuff like that to "distant" relationships.

If a relationship is "distant," you're trying to "build and strengthen" it. If a relationship is "close," you feel more comfortable "leaning" on it for "support and comfort."

So, it's not "necessarily" the case you're talking about.

• Their life is not as good as they say it to be cause they are battling
    insecurities , confusion they won't tell you but see they are hoping
    this reflects on their ex partner.

• I fully agree with you. Your ex is over-compensating his life to try to instil jealousy in you!

What Girls Said 3

• They are bluffing for sure... I wouldn't bother with talking to exs.

• It can be A. But it can be B as well.

It depends on the person.

However, most often when people brag about something they have or are, it's because they need validation.

• of course he's lying!!!