Is true equality impossible to create?

So many people think we should stop focusing so much on race, and focus on just one thing, that we are all human or in this country, all Americans. However we already have so many systems in place from census, to job applications, to schools, etc. where race or any other classification are a focus or part of the focus in order to get something or be a part of something. Many people also will agree that there has never been or never will be this notion that we are truly all equal in any sense because there will always be someone/or a race/or a gender in power, or statistically richer, or more educated, or the more dominant religion, or more supported by a culture. In order for there to be equality that means there are people who would have to give up either some or all of their power to accomodate another group, gender, religion, etc. which either they shouldn't have to do, or that they won't do. So can true equality ever be reached? If so, how, or is it impossible?

• I believe we are truly equal right now, we all have equal rights
  • I want to believe we are equal, but I know we are not
  • No such thing as true equality. We should celebrate our differences, and some how try to get along without ignoring the differences exist
  • True equality can never be reached, there is no such thing, and never will be, no point in trying
  • As long as there are those who do not believe in equality, it can never exist, but we can try to fight for it

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont think that TRUE equality can exist necessarily. But I do think that we can do a lot fucking better than we are right now.

• Thanks for MH

• You're welcome. I think you said in the most basic and truthful way, how it should be. I'm not delusional in thinking rainbows and unicorns we can all be one because that's never going to happen, but I think those that throw up their hands and say well, then we can't do anything are either the ones in power and are in no way willing to share that power, complete pessimists who fail to see how far we have come and still can go, or that dark category of isms and ists and ots, who actively try to suppress and keep people down for their own benefit.

What Guys Said 9

• "Physical" equality is not possible. Sexual dimorphism, through natural selection, has made men and women different.

Men and women can only have "legal" equality (e. g., equal rights AND OBLIGATIONS under the law).

For example, take "parenthood." In nature, there is no such thing as "parenthood." The "genetic" parent of a child does not have "rights" over that child, nor an "obligation" to take care of it. It may have "incentive" to do so, but there are no "laws" in nature.

Under "the law," parenthood is a "legal status." Those with the legal status have "legal rights" and "legal obligations" with respect to a child. "Legal parenthood" is not the same as "genetic parenthood." For example, people can "adopt" and be the "legal parent" of a child. The non-biological father of a child may be its "legal parent" by virtue of his status as the biological mother's "husband" through the marital presumption. Alternatively, a non-biological father of a child may be the child's "legal parent" through "paternal estoppel" (i. e., acting as the child's father for a certain period of time).

"The right to create and destroy one's legal status as a parent" is something that "the law" actually CAN make EQUAL for BOTH women AND MEN.

Yet, consider the case of two 4.0 GPA college students having sex. Unbeknownst to them, the condom was broken, and now the man's sperm and the woman's egg have joined together.

Case 1: Women does not want to be a mother, but man wants to be a father. The man cannot physically force the woman to give birth to a child she doesn't want to, nor can he obligate her to be a mother against her will just so that he can be a father. She can either take the morning after pill, terminate the pregnancy, or have a healthy child, but unilaterally and without his consent, drop off the child to a "safe haven."

Case 2: Man does not want to be a father, but woman wants to be a mother. The woman can simply carry the pregnancy to term, and nobody can do anything about it. For as long as a child results and the man is the "genetic" parent, he is also deemed the "legal" parent. Has has no legal right to "determine his life's course" (as Justice Ginsburg would say, in U. S. v. Gonzalez).

This is "legal" inequality, created and maintained by "the law," not "by nature."

To the extent "legal" inequality exists, we can always come very close to nearly "complete legal equality" for men and women.

• "Many people also will agree that there has never been or never will be this notion that we are truly all equal in any sense because there will always be someone/or a race/or a gender in power, or statistically richer, or more educated, or the more dominant religion, or more supported by a culture."

^this... this is da reason y true and absolute equality'll never xist. someone'd be more/less superior even by a small degree u know...

". In order for there to be equality that means there are people who would have to give up either some or all of their power to accomodate another group, gender, religion, etc. which either they shouldn't have to do, or that they won't do. "

^can u FORCE all those people to do this? i mean... ALL OF 'EM

• Absolutely my point which is why I do not for the life of me understand people who say we are equal, we are all one thing or should be, but then get upset when you point out the reasons why this is not true or can't be true.

• I voted D), and I did that because people are not equal. It's impossible for everyone to be equal.

www.iqcomparisonsite.com/.../NormalCurveSmall.gif

• Each of us is uniquely different. We can never be equal.

I will never be a concert pianist, an astronaut or a rapper. Not. Gonna. Happen.

• True equality is impossible.

• There is no such thing as true equality, equality itself is a false god.

• No there's always going to be inequality. Even the people that say they stand for equality actually contribute to inequality. Basically the idea is to take away the privilege of one group and make it equal but in reality we're just handing the privileged to the other group while the old privileged group gets punished.

Take educational systems for example. Guys used to be the only ones that got an education. Now women are able to get it as well and are excelling. But men are now doing worse and worse. They are dropping out at high rates and are doing worse and worse as time goes on. It's because during elementary school they are shamed for partaking in boy activities or reading guy books. Comics aren't allowed and things like recess playing dodge ball is now being banned (physical activity helps stimulate the male mind to extremes but now that stimulation is going away). I actually can attest to it myself. I and most guys in my grade school hated reading books but the girls loved it. I didn't know why and the teachers just thought we were just stupid trouble making boys. But when I was 12 we had a summer reading list and Enders Game was on it. I fell in love with reading after reading that book. I realized most novels you read in elementary school are geared towards little girls and away from little boys so naturally they grow a hatred towards reading and begin failing.

Long story short one side will always be disadvantaged. Either guys or girls or one race or the other or one sexuality or the other.

• I'm sorry, but that was the worst example of "inequality" I've ever heard. Men are doing poorly in college and dropping out because they hate to read? How do you explain the other thousands of men who love to read like my brother for example or studies that show that girls in traditional schools do more poorly in math/science. You can't base someone ability to graduate from college on that. You would have to weigh things like environment (did getting shot at and living in a crap neighborhood contribute to concentration issues) or finances (did working 2 jobs to pay for school and not being able to do it contribute to dropping out) or your educational background (did you go to a college prep school which gave you every opportunity to succeed or one where the teachers were only there for a paycheck and the school didn't have any computers, etc, etc).

• I'm saying no study based on who drops out more and why could simply base it on ones ability to love/hate reading or math/science as a child. There are far more factors that go into ones choice as to whether one drops out of school or not. Everyone on this planet hated some subject or other b/c they didn't do well in it or it was harder for them, etc. We all learn differently yes, but as you know, you can overcome that. Plus college is more specific then highschool and below in that you can choose what you choose to study so if you hate English/Reading, why then would you go into that for your course of study? I think there are far far better examples for inequality then a 'feeling' someone had in elementary school that doesn't particularly correlate well to long term success b/c there is a vast difference between actual illiteracy which can be detrimental to your life and just hating to read.

• No I know I'm just saying education is one of the things that has completely turned around for women. Going from zero education to excelling in it. Not many other facets of life have completely turned around the inequality of one group but it also showed that men started doing worse and worse at the same time as subject matter began to be more oriented towards the appeal of women. I'm just saying equality is really hard because fighting prejudice against one group never stops even when their disadvantage has been eliminated. It's like a pendulum it doesn't stop when it gets to the middle it just keeps going in one direction.

• Yes we can have equality, but the people or dominant culture or demographic has to give up their power or have it taken away from them. But their in power in places that effect our country on a national scale. Oppression still goes on with race and gender that effects all of us living here.

But if we try to stand up, it has to be enough to get the demographic in power to lose it, whether by their choice or against their wishes. Otherwise honestly nothing will really change.

• Men and women are not the same, they have differences be it physical, mental or biological.

Therefore complete equality can not be achieved. We have to take into account the differences. We have to realize men and women are not the same!

What Girls Said 2

• i voted E because my opinion is that equality can be CREATED. that's not a problem actually. but i think the issue is that equality cannot be ACCEPTED.

• I believe we can get there once the old bigoted people die off.