Do you feel that someone of a certain religion trying to convert you is disrespectful of your beliefs?

I have encountered some people in my life who believe that people attempting to convert them to a certain religion (almost always Christianity) are being disrespectful to their beliefs. I'm curious how y'all feel about that.

I'm including a poll which I am fully aware uses generalizations... but I don't have a problem with generalizations.

• Yes, attempting to convert me in general is disrespectful of my beliefs
  • No, attempting to convert me in general isn't disrespectful of my beliefs
  • We need more cowbell

Most Helpful Girl

• Not exactly, but it gets annoying if it's a constant thing you have to deal with and you've already expressed several times that you have a different view and aren't interested in converting.

So people can make their case once or twice at most and it's fine, a good thing even, but it becomes disrespectful when the other person has made it obvious they aren't interested in adopting a different view, and yet they're still pestered about it. It's just irritating.

I deal with it frequently because some of my family is strongly religious while I'm not at all (atheist), and somehow they found out because my brother has a big mouth, so at this point I just want the whole issue to be left alone so we can talk about something else.

• I see. My family found out I'm an atheist (well, technically agnostic) because I told them. Why do you think your brother told them? How old were you?

• "Little brothers can do the most annoying things..."
      Ah yes, well being a little brother myself, I can vouch for that! Your statement is (alas) true. ;)

• Hahaha yeah guess that's just the way it is lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it is disrespectful, otherwise no one could ever teach anyone anything because it would be disrespectful to the way people think things work at a given time. But religions are social control and a means to extort money and technically just codified culture, so I would prefer to remain uninterested.

What Girls Said 18

• If they are close minded about my beliefs and don't care what I believe then its disrespectful. If they are interested in learning from me then I will be interested in learning from them.

• Now that you mention it, yes - that is most definitely disrespectful.

If my atheism becomes known to a religious person, very often they assume I'm "fair game" and try to preach to me and holy fuckballs is that obnoxious.

They assume that an atheist "hasn't chosen yet", therefore they can be throw their dogma at me.

It has happened on a number of occasions, it's bloody frustrating and it is indeed disrespectful to assume that their religious drivel is desired.

If I didn't ask, don't fekin tell me.

• One of my friends from middle school cried when i wouldn't go to her church... i felt really bad. That being said, my teacher at the time said "well sweetheart you dont have to go to HER church but you do need to go to church" I dont like things being pushed on me so I do find it disrespectful. I am christian but more freeform and spiritual. I dont like for nazi christians to tell me how im a sinner and need to be saved, but I also dont like nazi atheists telling me how stupid I am for believing in God. I am fully open to learn about someone else's belief system, but I dont want it crammed down my throat.

• I think there is a huge difference in trying to teach someone what you believe and helping them to understand and someone actively telling you that what you believe is wrong and you should believe what I believe because it is the truth. The latter of the two is disrespectful. However, I do believe that if more people were open to at least listening to what others have to say this world would be a much better place. Too many people are dead set on their ways to even want to bother seeing another perspective.

• If they try to covert me or talk about whatever hey believe in to be (in a way to try and convince me, not teach me about the religion) I would debate back with them and try to prove them wrong and see how they deal with evidence.

• Personally, I don't really care what religion you follow. I will respect your beliefs. But I really find it disrespectful when people attempt to shove their beliefs on others, especially if they weren't asked about it.

• Unless someone ASKS you about your beliefs, you can pretty safely assume they're not interested in hearing about them. And it's rude and disrespectful to shove your beliefs down someone else's throat

• I'm an atheist that still suffers catholic guilt. I don't need any other guilt/fire and damnation/voodoo magic added on to that.

• Yes, would they like it if I tried converting them into an atheist? It works two ways. Don't do it to me when you wouldn't like it done on you.

• Most Christians I know couldn't care less if anyone attempted to convert them to atheism. Thanks for sounding off.

• Haha I don't believe that for a second. People get super defensive about their beliefs, even when you're simpy saying you don't share them, not eve trying to convince them they're wrong. I grew up Christian and my family is super cool but even so there are topics we stay away from because my opinions ofdend them. A buddy I grew up with drives me nuts sometimes because he'll try to give me shit about not being Christian but then gets offended when I explain myself - even when I specifically say "I respect your beliefs" or "I don't care what you believe".

• You don't believe me?

I said, "Most Christians I KNOW couldn't care less..."
      Do you know my friends? Do you know the Christians I know?

• i once had to tell a girl in my government class that yes i was christian she started asking me if i cared that i did not care she was bisexual and i told her i have quite a few liberal views and i promised on the lives of my family i would not shove my religion down her throat and she called me open-minded as a christian i was shocked because nobody calls christians open-minded not once did i shove my religion down her throat and she did the same for me

• Yes. It's extremely disrespectful!
    And people think it's normal...

• If it's persistently unwanted and you've made it clear you don't want to convert and they still continue, then yes. they should respect that decision

• If they already know I'm decided on beliefs and then STILL continue to try and convert me it's disrespectful.

• yes, I don't like it :/

• I'm Christian but I don't think it's disrespectful, if someone tries to convert me I'll just respectfully tell them I'm a Christian

• The Jehovah witness and some christian groups... they need followers and money.

• I get that they want to pitch you an idea or whatever they do, which doesn't bother me. I'll listen but I am not interested... but I'm also no disrespectful. If I decline after listening to them and they get insistent, that annoys me.

• Yes, live and let live...

What Guys Said 28

• It hasn't happened to me all that much. That said, it ultimately depends on how it's presented. Not only that though, but WHEN.

For example, I have a good friend who's having a lot of difficulties in his life right now. Back in December, he and I were talking about said difficulties. He said that he believes that things happen for a reason and, if I remember correctly, said he believes that God has a plan. It was then that I'd asked him if he'd ever considered becoming a Catholic. Since then, I've invited him to come to Mass with me a few times. He hasn't yet, but the key is that it's an INVITATION and not a command or even a request; "I'd like you to come to Church". Also important is that we had a close friendship for a while before.

That said, if someone were to push their religion on me (or lack thereof, which has happened a LOT more than the former, and in much more disrespectful and condescending ways as well), I wouldn't be as interested. However, if they were to invite me to come to their church, synagogue, mosque, temple, etc., I'd consider going so that I could understand more about their rituals and why they believe the way that they do. I wouldn't join their faith, but I'd still be interested to see it practiced.

So again, ultimately, it depends on how it's presented.

• I respect their RIGHT to believe what they do, but I draw a line at the 'CONVERSION' attempt!! I NEVER talk about my beliefs, unless someone asks, and wants to know!! IT is something that is private, to you, and whatever religion, or Higher Power you respect!!
    YOU HAVE NO RIGHT, AT ALL to try to tell someone that they should believe what you do!! Shame on those that do!!
    That is a relationship "Deal-Breaker' for me, if she insists on trying to 'convert me' to her way of thinking!
    I HATE when the ones come, door to door, trying to convert others!! I have a sign, that says "DON'T RING MY DOOR, IF YOU ARE ONE OF 'THOSE ONES'!!
    They still do, and I think that my warning, and them ignoring it, gives me GOOD REASON to mess with them, and say anything to offend them, for OFFENDING ME with their interruption, into my life, on Sunday!!
    I respect everyone's right to believe what they choose, but THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY RIGHT TO TRY TO FORCE ME TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY DO!!
    I think there should be a law, so that I can sue them, for inflicting 'Mental Distress' with their ideas, interrupting my day, for something that I don't want to know about and don't believe!!

• "YOU HAVE NO RIGHT, AT ALL to try to tell someone that they should believe what you do!!"

If you live in the United States, that's just dead wrong. You most certainly have a right to tell someone that they should believe what you do, no matter what that belief is. It's protected in the Constitution as free speech.

• Out of curiosity, what neighborhood do you live in. I've answered the door to many Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons. None have ever tried to enter my house forcibly.

• You are correct you can order them off your property. However, if you are in a public place and you have told them no, you're not interested and they continue to keep talking, that is absolutely their right to do so. You can't force them to shut up. They have no right to physically force you. They have every right to keep talking, debating, arguing, and giving voice to their opinions. And I support that right, even though I don't support what they're saying. There is no constitutional protection against hearing other people's opinions and arguments, even ones we find objectionable. Even if those arguments are insulting to us. There *is* a constitutional protection against us silencing those arguments and opinions.

• No, why should I feel disrespected about someone approaching me with a discussion?

I'm Catholic, but so long as that person is respectful and approaches me from logic and reason and presents a balanced argument (of course it'd begin in favour of his worldview). I have no problems with it.

I've been approached by protestants, muslims, but in my experience the most people trying to convert me to their religion are atheists which tend to be the loudest and angriest but usually with nothing to say

• Are you not at this very moment attempting to "convert" others to your beliefs/way of thinking? Every time we speak an opinion or make an argument for something we are attempting to convert them to our way of thinking. So no I don't think its particularly disrespectful. Also I can say that only once has a christian ever attempted to convert me, in fact I feel atheist are more prone to trying to convert me then any other group to be perfectly honest.

• Asking questions doesn't constitute an attempt at conversion, in my opinion. Like yourself, I don't find it disrespectful when someone tries to convert me. Thanks for sounding off.

• What would you constitute conversion then?

• If you aren't interested in hearing why YOUR religion is wrong, then don't attempt to change someone else's beliefs. EVERY religious person is sure that they have the truth and followers of other religions are misguided and just need to hear that truth.

• I wouldn't call it disrespectful. Just annoying like any other pushy salesmen. I chase them off before they have time to say anything. I politely tell them I'm not interested ONCE. They don't get a second chance.

• What happens if they try for a second chance?

• Then I'm no longer polite. I make it VERY clear that I already told them I wasn't interested. Usually that's enough. If they keep going after that I get downright hostile.

• I see. Thanks for sounding off.

• It's just disrespectful to that persons choice of what ever faith they have chosen and to the person in general

• I believe in an open mind, and open debate. Someone feeling the need to discus their religious views with me isn't disrespectful. With the following caveat: if you bring up the subject to me, you must also listen to my views and discuss them rationally as I do with yours. I am willing to learn, and try and keep an open mind. But I have studied religion, read most major religious works, and can discuss intelligently about the history of most major religions.

• That tends to be how I view it. Thanks for stopping by.

• Nope
    If someone wants to try and convert me.. I have a little more respect for them instantly as they clearly believe heavily themselves.

However.. if I show and say I'm not interested.. and they get disrespectful or rude... game over and don't waste my time o_o

• I generally see more atheists going on rants or trying to prove God isn't real than i see Christians trying to convert people.

But im Christian so it would be hard for me to be impartial, just like its hard for anyone to be impartial because everyone has some sort of beliefs.

• You should want to promote your beliefs.

I wouldn't take a Christian anywhere near seriously, if he didn't want to promote Christianity. I certainly want to promote atheism.

• I'm a Christian and I think it is disrespectful. You're basically saying, "My beliefs are better than yours so you should change your beliefs to be the same as mine!" I respect Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists and all other religions. Except for atheists, they are a bunch of annoying diddlies.

images5.fanpop.com/.../...ers-29083474-593-591.gif

• Of course not! The spread and clashing of different ideas, philosophies, and beliefs is vital to any advanced, Post-Rennassiance society. Otherwise, Mexicans would still be cutting out the hearts of living people on their religious pyramids, and the Carthaginians would be sacrificing children for Baal. This idea of simple persuasion being "disrespectful" is beyond ludicrous, and, at worst, is barbaric.

• That brings up an interesting idea. Would you find it disrespectful if an Aztec tried to convert you to his/her religion?

• No, definitely not. Whether I would convert or not is another thing.

• I only talk about religion if the other people in the conversation want to, honestly. Sure, if someone says "try to convert me" go ahead, but don't just go up to them and try to convert them. People do it so much because they are told they're "saving" people by ringing the doorbell early on Saturday mornings.

• Well I'm not religious so I could just listen and inwardly laugh at their attempts.

• Or you could engage them in argument. Thanks for stopping by.

• Nah. I have entered into arguments with religious people before and every time threy couldn't refute something they used ad hominens.

• I agree more cowbell is needed. I am an atheist and have been around religion my entire life so I got used to it:)

• I don't see how its disrespectful unless they being obnoxious about it.
    But I guess most preachers are well intentioned want your "salvation" I see them as health promotors kind of. I just debate them and be on my way.

• Why care? Just ignore it.

• I think asking people to join your religion is fine but once someone says "No, I'm not religious" or "No I'm [insert religion here]" then you just have to respect that. People have their beliefs, you have your beliefs, and that's a beautiful thing.

• It's manipulative.

• If someone asked u things about ur relgion and u answer does that count?😕

• Hmm. For the sake of this discussion let's say it does count.

• Can u tell me what is the western view about pushing beliefs plz?

• I believe if you read the responses here, you'll get an idea.

It varies widely from person to person.

• People should never actively try to convert others to any religion or non-religion. I'm 100% fine with people being religious but not that.

• I see. Why do you feel people "should never actively try to convert others?"
      And thanks for stopping by.

• Couldn't that be said about any attempt to convert someone's opinion about anything?

• I suppose so. Good point. Religion just seems more of a personal choice because it doesn't affect others.

• If someone is one religion, there's a reason why they are that religion. You're religion isn't better than their religion, just how to you, their religion isn't better than yours.

• I don't have any beliefs I just say what the director tells me to.

• it depends solely on the reason.

• Well, following a religion is sort of like having a dick.

I'ts alright to have one, be proud of it, and even worship it.
    But you keep it to yourself and don't wave it around in peoples faces, and you certainly don't try to force it on someone else.

• I am undecided with regards to religion. So, naturally of course I'm not going to be offended if a friend tries to introduce me to their faith. In fact, one did, (an evangelical), and it was overall a positive experience in terms of exposing me to something I hadn't been before. Certainly not offensive; I thanked him for the experience.

It is laughable to me how many non-religious people become "offended" about this kind of thing. It's fine to not be interested, but seriously how can someone offend you religiously if you have no beliefs at all? It's silly! Being open minded is a two-way street!

• BOO HOO. If the truth can't take the pressure, it isn't true. I'm tired of all this politically correct bullshit

• Interesting. Thanks for sounding off.

• Apparently one female user is in favor of teaching lies.