What do black people want to be called?

This question has bothered me for a while now... Black guys say 'nigger' to eachother. If someone else says 'nigger' it can come over as offensive.

My dad said I shouldn't say 'nigger', but what CAN I call you then, 'black'? I am seriously bothered by this... Please help me out!

Updates:
I have friends like that, and I call them by name. But I just wondered if those other terms are offensive or not :/
Solved people! :)

0|1
6|8

Most Helpful Girl

• You can start by calling people by their name. But in the UK we just call them 'black'. I know different places around the world have different socially acceptable phrases so just go with the flow where you're from

1|3
    0|0
    • I call my friends by name, always
      I just wanted to know if those terms I mentioned are offensive or not...

What Girls Said 5

• Here we go by the word 'black', that seems to be 'acceptable' but It also got me thinking at one point

We are 'yellows' :)

0|1
    0|0
  • Call me by my name.

1|2
    0|1
  • Just call them by their name. You shouldn't define people by the colour of their skin. And you should never use the N word.

0|0
    0|0
    • I have friends like that, of course I'll be calling them by name, but I wanted to know if all those 'terms' are offensive or not

• I believe they have names too.

0|0
    0|0
  • whatever you would call someone else. like dude.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• blacks should be called blacks
    whites should be called whites
    browns should be called browns
    greens should be called greens

etc

:D

1|5
    1|3
  • Hee... I believe people go by their names... If you don't know them, stick to Sir, Mr, or even "You" Worst case scenario...
    If you mean what they want to be called when you talk about them... They most likely like to be called Black People... Or African Americans..

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you call your white friends "White" or do you call them by their names?

1|2
    0|1
  • If you are referring to how you reference their ethnicity, I would go with black.

I once heard some idiot in the media refer to Nelson Mandela as "African-American". Really? What part of America are his ancestors from now?

0|0
    0|0
    • There you get it!
      I guess I failed at making myself clear :(
      Anyway, thanks

• Well, i wouldn't call anyone n**, or whitey even if they are not offended by it, cause these are offensive terms, well the first one definitely. Maybe one day n** won't be offensive anymore, but still i wouldn't call my friend n**.
    Use their names, or nicknames instead.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh look, whitey is not censored here, but the other one is, how nice :D

• black people are black there is no other way to put it

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, here's your dumb assed gag question of the day! Smh.

Are those the only choices you know to call black people? n** of black? And between those two you can't figure out which one would be best to use as a default on your own? You need to ask gagers?

Ignorant stupidity is unfortunately incurable. Meaning you're doomed.

0|0
    0|2
  • whatever you call them will be offensive and incite a riot

0|1
    1|0