True or false: Other people's perceptions about your looks, skills, intelligence etc is 90% related to how you feel about yourself?

Feel and think you're good looking, clever and skilled about yourself and other people will see you as the same as long as it's not arrogance. This is whether it's friends, relatives or partners who are looking at you or professional/work colleagues/lecturers/teachers?

• True
  • False

Most Helpful Girl

• I say no only cuz if a person is super attractive and doesn't think so, then this won't change the fact that they are physically attractive. If someone is super ugly but thinks they're attractive, this will also not change the fact that they are ugly physically. I'm mostly talking about people who are to the extreme attractive or ugly. Most people are moderately attractive and can be considered way more attractive or way less attractive based on another person's personal taste so in that regard its more complicated.

Most Helpful Guy

• True if you act confident it will project to others

What Girls Said 8

• Personally, not really. It used to when I was a pre-teen/teen and even in my 20's. But once I got into my 30's and knew who I really was and realized that I could change some things I didn't like about myself and accept the things I couldn't change... I became comfortable in my own skin... flaws and all. I no longer give other people the power to define who I am. At the end of the day, I don't have to answer to anyone but God... so his perception of me matters far more than any man/woman.

I'd also like to add that people's perceptions might cause me to make certain changes in my life (like if they noticed something negative like "You're drinking too much" that I could change) I certainly wouldn't ignore it... but it wouldn't change my own feelings of myself.

• I don't think this is always true, I'm probably the best example for this myself look wise - I've always been self conscious about my looks - always. And yet people often tell me I am pretty so I don't really think it matters how the person perceives themselves here, at least not look wise.

• Really? I agree with those people. You're very pretty - above average pretty. If I saw you in real life, got to know you a bit and liked your personality as well, id probably ask you out. But this is interesting, i guess attractiveness is influenced by a lot of things and cobfidence is just one of them. But attractiveness is also subjective.

• voted false because nothing is ever that simple or black and white:

1) i have perfected the art of acting confident despite feeling like a piece of shit 80% of the time
    2) most people have varying levels of confidence depending on the day or their mood so if your statement was true it would give off very mixed signals to said people

• I wouldn't say it's 90%. Maybe 40-50% max.

• Well ok ignore the 90%. That was just a number I plucked out the air. But point is it's significant.

• Of course, if you have low self-confidence and you act as if you suck at everything, then obviously people will doubt your skills.

• If you have always been told you're ugly then your opinion about yourself won't change. Ever.
    You will always find flaws. Always.

• Not always. If you keep analysing this, it will drive you crazy.

• I get complimented a lot, but I feel like they all are lies. I don't like my appearance even though other people do.

• it probably has an impact.

What Guys Said 6

• Your perception of your appearance constitutes the majority of your self-concept in that area.

• I can feel as big and muscular as I want. I've even done more work than guys twice my size on a regular basis at work. I still get told I'm scrawny and need to put on some weight. It's totally false.

• Talking about looks would be false. Well in fact, based on my research, people would see you as more attractive than how you look at yourself. When you look at yourself in the mirror, it only involves your looks, whereas when people look at you, they would see your internal and external part.

• Yes the term is called fake it till you make it and it has helped so many people

• not really.

• It's not that simple. Appearances have a limited impact, eventually reality intrudes.