Do you emotionally eat?

Most people I know do this. I'm the complete opposite though. Whenever I am my most depressed the thought of food makes me want to vomit.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, unfortunately I am quite an emotional eater. I've never been into alcohol or drugs, so the risk of destroying my body with these things is extremely small for me but I do have to watch my eating habits a bit (I'm not fat or anything like that but I am a bit chubby). However, it also depends on what kind of emotion we're talking about. What affects me the most is stress. When I have a lot of physical and/or mental stress (for example when I have to get lots of long-term projects for University done such as papers etc.), it tends to have a very bad affect on my lifestyle. Not just on my eating habits but also on my sleeping habits. I tend to develop a totally weird and rather unhealthy sleeping cycle, such as staying up all night, going to bed at 8 or 9 in the morning and waking up in the late afternoon or early evening. I absolutely hate it but it's extremely hard to fight against it. Although I love studying because I am a very inquisitive person who enjoys learning new things, I have to say that being a student can be extremely tough because there's probably no other "job" with such a terrible work-life balance. Contrary to my friends who work, I can't just come home, turn off my brain and enjoy my free evening. I might be less physically exhausted but I constantly have some kind of paper or other project on my mind that I have to get done on time. Whatever I do... whether I eat dinner or I watch a movie or I spend quality time with my girlfriend... there's always this pressure in the back of my mind and I feel guilty because I feel like I'm wasting time and I should be working. This is an emotion that I am very bad at handling and if I get it (which happens every semester for a couple of weeks, sometimes even months), I start eating lots of unhealthy stuff. I don't necessarily eat more than usual but I start eating a lot of chocolate or meat or fast food (I usually have a very heathy diet with lots of veggies and fruits). Together with the fact that my sleeping rhythm gets totally messed up and I start having big meals at 3 o'clock in the night, this really makes for a terrible lifestyle.

If I am sad on the other hand, I tend to lose my appetite completely. However, this is not exactly better because I can go without food for a very long time and I tend to end up doing this (not as a self-punishment... I just don't feel like eating). And the problem is that if you stop eating for two days and two nights in a row, you lose all your enthusiasm to

• even try eating/cooking anything. Plus you also get weak and feel like you don't want to get up anymore. So while I generally love the fact that I am a very sensitive person, it can also be difficult because it affects my lifestyle a lot. Sometimes I wish I was like one of my guy friends who can just be like "screw my feelings, I don't give a shit about them".

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree that most people emotionally eat when they're upset about something. I've struggled with that a lot over the years because I always associate desserts as "feel good" foods when I'm going through a rough time. I used to struggle with binge eating when I was in my younger teen years but slowly learned how to manage my eating habits & do it less often. Sometimes I relapse and fall back into my bad habits but I've grown leaps and bounds from where I started :) I wish I was more like you and couldn't stand the thought of food when I'm upset, lol :) Interesting question by the way! :)

What Guys Said 14

• I don't really enjoy "eating" that much these days. *might have to do with having the same menu for 8 months straight.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...1d7709f4f2.jpg

So nah. I just eat my calories and my macros and be done with.
    Scoff scoff scoff scoff scoff.

I miss the days when I actually looked forward to having food.

• Yes I do. I eat when I'm happy, sad, proud, lonely, bored, angered, but I find when I'm feeling depressed making food cheers me up. Especially if it tastes good. Its like doing an accomplishment

• Yes, if i am under stress i can tend to eat food that's not good for me

• I get emotional when i eat the best steak in the world... Tears of joy! D:

• Nah not me

• I'm like you, I won't eat when depressed which is more noticeable to people because I eat a lot.

• I don't , but even if i did, I won't get fat.. dat metabolism.

• I loose apetetite :c
    Cannot eat almost anything

• Not really..

• not really, i mostly work out

• No. My diet does not change
    But love does

• i guess i do

• if boredom counts as an emotion, yes.

But I lose my appetite when I'm depressed.

• hell ya i emotonally eat

What Girls Said 23

• I can sometimes be a emotional eater and other times not. It is one of those things that changes for me depending on the type of stress I am feeling.

• Definitely not. When I'm feeling really down, all I want is to curl up in bed and sleep it off, or read, or something. My appetite is pretty much gone if I'm feeling bad.

Boredom eating is my struggle. When I have nothing I want to do, I just automatically reach for food, so I can at least enjoy a flavor. I'm getting a lot better at resisting the urge, though, so hopefully it won't be a concern for much longer. :)

• I eat when i'm happy, I eat when i'm depressed - so yes. But I do work out hard core at the gym so I should be allowed? lol

• Not really.. ice cream does help. But most of the time I skip meals.. I don't feel hungry at all..

• I eat all the time. Happy or sad. FOOD IS LOVE, FOOD IS LIFE <3

• I do that, maybe even sleep.

• I am opposite. When I am too stressed I stop eating. I almost fast.

• Your atittude and body has an effect on the food if you eat in a bad mood.

• Me = ongoing issues with food from age ten = mostly anorexia.

I DID go through a crazy six month period of bulimia when 15 though
    b4 going back to anorexia and various other forms of restricting.

• No, actually I don't eat at all when I'm sad.

• I used to have Bulimia so I ateand then vomit... Sometimes I still do it but my cousin helped me a lot so... I 'm recovering ♡♡♡♡

• i think i do often

• No, actually I tend to eat when bored - bad habit, but I don't do it too often. When I'm extremely emotional, eating is completely unappealing. I just don't have an appetite for it.

• I practically eat 24/7, but yeah seems like when im emotional i tend to not eat as much

• No, I can't eat when I'm upset.

• I used to. I stopped emotional eating once I started eating high carb diet.

• I'm just like you! I <3 food, but if I'm sad i can't eat anything.

• Im the same as you

• Sammmmme, when I am really sad it just grosses me out

• Not really but I did gain weight during pregnancy with twins.

• No I don't. When I'm sad I loose my appetite

• I'm the same as you. If i feel upset, depressed or anxious then I can't eat. I can't face food , because it makes me feel nauseosus

• I gained 20 kg in 6 months because of depression, which caused me to be even more depressed...