Is Ataturk, founder of Turkey, a dictator or democrat?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I don't want to get into any political disputes but from what I've heard, manly from Turkish people I know he was in many ways a dictator.
    Especially if you look at his attempts to change how Islam as a religion was practiced.

What Guys Said 8

• Ataturk is a real democrat, he brought democracy with his renovations in ANY area in new Turkey ^_^ He never ruled, he always supported the people/groups who wanted to make the things better in country...
    He was a Turkish army officer, revolutionary, and the first President of Turkey...

Atatürk made many reforms in order to bring Turkey to the level of contemporary civilizations. Those reforms can be put under five main topics:

1. Political Reforms

- Abolishment of the Sultanate (1 November 1922)
    - Declaration of the Republic (29 October 1923)
    - Abolishment of Caliphate (3 March 1924)

2. Social Reforms

- Women were given equal rights with men (1926-1934)
    - The Revolution of Headgear and Outfit (25 November 1925)
    - Closing of dervish lodges and shrines (30 November 1925)
    - The surname law (21 June 1934)
    - Abolishment of nicknames, pious and royal titles (26 November 1934)
    - Adoption of the International calendar, time and measurements (1925-1931)

3. Juridical Reforms

- Abolishment of the Canon Law (1924-1937)
    - Instating the new Turkish Civil Code and other legislation to suit secular order (1924 - 1937)

4. Educational and Cultural Reforms

- Integration of education (3 March 1924)
    - Adoption of the new Turkish alphabet (1 November 1928)
    - Establishment of the Turkish Language and Historical Societies (1931-1932)
    - Organization of the university education (31 May 1933).
    - Innovations in fine arts

5. Economical Reforms

- Abolishment of old taxation laws.
    - Encouragement of the farmers.
    - Establishment of model farms.
    - Legislation of the Encouragement of the Industry Law and establishment of Industrial Corporations.
    - Implementing First and Second Development Plans (1933-1937), construction of new highways to reach every corner of the country.

• By todays standards he'd be a fascist.

• I know very little about Turkey to make a comment.

All I really know is they stole Constantinople from the Byzantines and have their foothold in Europe today BECAUSE they stole Constantinople from the Byzantines.

Oh and Suleiman the Magnificent.

• Dude, you will probably receive hate from Turks now. Have an upvote.

• I have to tell 'steal' isn't a good word to depict a war... What's ur root? Ur ancestors didn't make war and belong land? :) That is what Ottoman did... And If Byzantines couldn't defend and save their land;this isn't the problem of Ottoman. In the war of Constantinople, Fatih Sultan Mehmet used many new types of attacks and many new war tactics which would be used in the whole world widespreadly... So if we think in this way, he lead to use many things effectively in war area...
      If you know 'very little' about a subject, you must respect and search first before attacking ;) just suggestion...

• We call it "Conquest", you can't say someone stole land at 15th century.

• Correct me if I am wrong Turkish readers, but didn't he proclaim that he would

"drag (his people), kicking and screaming if I have to, into the Modern World!"

Or something like that.

• Dictator of course he banned azan in Turkey took a lot of rights from Muslims altho he is one and he wasn't a good ruler

• Both, in those years, installing democracy to Turkey needed absolute power, opposite political parties such as Progressive Republican Party aimed to bring Monarchy back.

• Progressive Republican Party is accually liberalist not monarchy . . They like a system like UK

• Justice and Development Party also supposed to be liberalist.

• he was definitely a democrat! dont dare to call him a dictator😑

• i guess so, compared to the Sultans we was.

What Girls Said 1