Which language is better?

Which language is better?

• Greek
  • Chinese

Most Helpful Guy

• Latin.
    Chinese as a language over the years has reach to the point where it has become so marginalized and complex that unless it's your "1st language" , getting into writing the whole thing is INCREDIBLY difficult.
    It does not operate on an alphabet system and the pronunciation of the words even confuses the locals so much so the government have to make TV programmes about correct pronunciations and avoiding HOMONYMS... for the locals!
    Greek , it's also a very regional language with no real application outside of Greece and considering Greece's economy... not really that useful as far as I can see it.

Latin however...
    OOoooh...
    If you speak Latin , you will have a basic grasp of basically the entire western european continent.

Most Helpful Girl

• No language is better than another. But I prefer Greek to Chinese, simply because I've never had any interest in Mandarin (seems to be too complicated and I don't think I could be able to deal with the gazillion ideograms). I was learning Attic Greek at college and found it very interesting and the alphabet is not as hard to grasp as it seems; I can't say anything about spoken Greek though.

What Guys Said 13

• If just which is cooler that's subjective. If it's for practicality. Mandarin Chinese is a very valuable language to learn if you're in international business.

• This question and the choice of languages are beyond random. What are you a Chinese immigrant to Greece or something? I assumed I'd see a full poll of languages or at least more common languages when I saw the question.

• Didn't realize we had to submit common languages. Ozur dilerim. Oops, used an obscure language again.

• There's no need to be rude about it. It was a serious question. Most GAGers probably don't know Chinese or Greek let alone know which one is "better" so I was wondering what your motivations were behind asking this.

• I like Greek and Chinese.

• I'd definitely prefer Chinese.

• Chinese is way more lucrative to learn these days! ;-)

• Definitely that one

• The fuck did this come from?

• I don't know.

• Traditional Chinese > Greek > simplified Chinese.

• I'd go with Greek I think.

• I would rather learn Greek

• Greek, but I am biased..

• It'll be more useful to learn Chinese

• how is Greek even a useful language today! Chinese is much harder for latin based language learners, but it is soooo much more useful!

What Girls Said 6

• Go to YouTube and search "Top 10 Reasons To Not Study the Chinese Language — TopTenzNet" and it will explain why Greek is a better option.

• No language is 'better' than another. More useful, yes, but better? Your question is very vague so I didn't vote at all considering I don't speak either of the languages.

• I don't know any of them.

• in terms of what? business? personal? sound?

otherwise, i have no idea

• Chinese!!!

• It depends. If you are planning on visiting Greece, then that one. But if you learn Mandarin or something, then that might be beneficial for certain careers.