Why are people so self-absorbed, nowadays?

Most Helpful Guy

• The human mind requires a balance of pain and comfort. We live in an age where there is an abundance of comfort, but very little pain. So, people adjust to find the comforts less comfortable, and invent things to find painful. This adjustment is necessary for the sake of sanity, but the adjustment requires people to constantly construe how things aren't going their way. So, they become self-absorbed in order to figure out how they are in pain, in order to remain sane.

• That is exactly what I thought... but I am always kinda doubtful about an own theory. Most have indeed too much comfort to become like this. What a pity...

• Well, comfort is the inevitable result of progress. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but needs to be kept in check with some perspective. Unfortunately, that can only be accomplished with education, which can't really be forced on anyone.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the opposite is also true. If someone has an abundance of pain, they will become self-absorbed to figure out how they are comfortable, in order to remain sane.

What Guys Said 3

• I know what you mean , they are self consumed people who care for no one
    but their self , my cousin is the same exact way.

• Are you trying to tell me that I'm not perfect?

• Simple.

Phones are isolating, and they degrade social skills.

And. Men know they get screwed by women if they marry, so instead they just have sex. Women feel screwed by men who just have sex and start projecting negativity onto all men. So on, so forth, cycle continues in a negative feedback loop, social skills get further degraded, men and women get further estranged from each other, feminism and men's rights, blah blah blah. Etc.

What Girls Said 2

• I find that people that are self-absorbed have the lowest self esteem.

Believing they are the greatest gifts on Earth is a huge cover up for all of the flaws they have within themselves that they want to cover up.
    Self-absorption is usually a mask for insecurity.

• How do you mean?