Can I get HIV by sharing food/drinks with HIV+ person?

My oldest brother who is 31 and a gay man is HIV+. Initially, I was never supposed to know about this bc I dont think he told anyone except our mom and maybe our dad... but my mom told me it in the car one day after a doctors checkup where i wanted to get tested and she came out and said my brother is positive and it put me in shock. We live together and share food all the time.. I was just wondering if there's any chance of contracting the virus this way? Thanks.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, you cannot.

HIV is spread
    sexual intercourse and direct transmission rate:
    Ex: You are bit by someone with HIV.
    or
    You touch someone with HIV's blood and it goes through an open wound of yours.

In order to get HIV through saliva you would have to swallow over a galloon of it.
    It is nearly impossible by sharing a drink to get HIV.

What Guys Said 5

• No, i understand it has to be sexaully transmitted or sharing anything that is
    open wounds but nothing with saliva

• in my opinion it's highly improbable unless you had both bleeding gums or aphts (benign and non-contagious mouth ulcers aphthae) at the same moment.

But I'm not a doctor.

• http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/transmission.html

HIV is not spread through saliva.

• Don't ask us, go find a medical professional. This is HIV we're talking about, you don't want to ask internet people!

• Only if he bleeds or cums all over it first.

What Girls Said 1

• You should get tested.