How many of you would be uncomfortable with a guy babysitting your daughter?

So recently, I was watching a little girl and her brother, 4 and 5. The brother goes off to ride his bike and I play with the girl in the grass, observing an ant hill. I got the weirdest looks and people even shook their heads and muttered stuff like, "pedo", "child molestor", "rapist", "pervert" and everything just because I was just with her and alone.

This reminded me of something that happened a few months ago as well. They have a volunteer thing for teens my age to just watch a group of children playing in the park afterschool. I went sometimes, and I wasn't a regular so I was never given a vest, and the kids loved me cause I had enough energy to go wild with them unlike most of the others my age and people would frequently just watch me like I'm gonna snatch up little Emily and run or something.

Another time, I was watching this girl who LOVED me, like she adorded me like a big brother, and I was at the park with her. She saw how high I could swing so I told her sit on my lap and I'll swing up high for her. She did it and I just swang a bit and someone literally stopped their car and screamed out, "what you like that shit don't you, pedophile!" and drove off. She asked what he was talking about and I shrugged and said, nothing important. While getting ice cream and some pies at DQ, people looked at me with disgust.

I hate it! I'll never in my life hurt a young child and do anything like that and they love me. I love watching them as well, frequently do it for nothing but a bag of chips or just because I want to I'll do it for free. I love it. But I get the most crap when I'm alone with a young girl, and not a boy. If it's with a boy I get far less trouble, almost none. But if it's with a girl, all the neighborhood dicks come out of hiding to insult me.

So seriously, what's so bad with a guy watching a young girl who is comfortable with me and in no harm? And if I offered to watch your daughter, say we're neighbors, would you feel comfortable allowing me?

Let me state if you know me, would you still feel comfortable. I myself don't want to babysit a kid who I don't really know. It's come in handy several times. I want to know how they are a bit before I watch them so I know some likes, dislikes, and ways to make sure they have fun and are happy with me, while doing what they're told.

Most Helpful Girl

• Any gender could molest/rape a young child. Women and men could do it equally and regardless of age. I know of two guys and one girl who it happened to and the molesters were of the opposite genders.

A family member could do the same.

I wouldn't feel comfortable letting anyone but my mother or father or sister because I know their hearts extremely well.

You are always taking a chance leaving your child with anyone.

I wouldn't allow a neighbor, no matter how kind watch my child.

• I meant if you KNEW me. Shit I don't wanna watch a kid I don't know well.

• Yeah even then I wouldn't. Only who I stated above.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, this whole obsession with pedophiles is certainly a much bigger deal in the US than anywhere else. Honestly, I don't understand where this is even coming from. It seems like Americans constantly need a state enemy... and if it can't be communists, it's gotta be someone else (such as pedophiles). The whole thing is rather ridiculous because there are actually very, very pedophiles out there in relation to the size of the population. Plus, studies have proved both in America and Europe that about 97% of all pedophiles who commit a sexual crime are in fact related to the child (fathers, uncles, cousins etc.)... and the same goes for rapes by the way (there it's not relatives but close friends or boyfriends/husbands etc.). This "typical" pedophile that we know from Hollywood movies who parks his RV in front of your house for 5 days only to wait for the perfect moment to grab your little daughter is actually extreeeemely rare. It's much, much more likely that your daughter gets severely injured because you have a car accident with her in the backseat. Yet, nobody worries too much about car accidents and they hardly ever make it to the evening news.

Having said all this, I see it like this: I love children myself. I find them very cute and I enjoy playing with them. Hence, I understand that not every guy is automatically a danger. However, if I had a daughter (or a son for that matter) I would still want to know that they are in good hands. This has nothing particularly to do with the babysitter being a guy but more with him or her being a kind, sweet and trustworthy person in general. Because of this, I would definitely want to know you a little bit before I give you my child. If I were your neighbor I would perhaps invite you to a grill party together with some other neighbors or something like that. I would try to find a casual way to talk to you and get to know what kind of person you are. If I felt like you are a weirdo in general or just somebody who probably isn't good with kids (even if you're a nice, decent guy), I wouldn't give you my child. But if I felt like you are a good-hearted and sweet person with a talent to deal with children I would certainly consider you a possible babysitter. There's absolutely no good reason why a guy can't be a good babysitter.

What Girls Said 4

• People are disgustingly stupid these days and allow their own suspicions and biases to govern their behaviour rather than judging by the facts. Be grateful those children and your fellow volunteers know your intentions are good.

• If it's a family friend that I trust... fine. I can think of a couple right now.
    Then again I wouldn't really want a strange girl/woman babysitting my kids either.

• Wow where do you live lol. i have heard of this, men at the playground and such but i have never witnessed anything like that, horrible people really.

• Wow some people are total jerks. How do they know she isn't your sister or something? I'd be totally ok with it as long as I knew the boy and the family well enough to see that he wouldn't do anything wrong.

What Guys Said 4

• It really sucks how stigmatized males are.
    I want to babysit but I'm a guy and people would probably rather hire some cute teenage girl.

I'm really good with kids around 8-12, cause I treat them like they're my own age and they seem to love it. I don't talk to them like they're little kids.

But yeah it's retarded.

• With the guys I know, I'd be comfortable to let them babysit.
    If I wasn't comfortable with them, I'd probable not even know them.

• The struggles of being a male caretaker for small children. ^.^

• Family, cousins, good friends maybe... Stranger? No.