Are atheists really reasonable?

Atheists, you claim to be rational and reasonable, what is your rational reason for rejecting to believe in God? I'm just curious.

You must know that what constitutes evidence is subject to majority opinion if not individual opinion.

And that science just explains processes and nothing further.

Even if scientists find "evidence" of a murder they still have to take it in front a jury for the public to decide if it's evidence or not.

So why reject the existence God without rebutting the points? Is that really reasonable?

I think it's safe to say that atheists are just looking for attention. Atheism is their claim to fame and there's no real intelligent reasoning behind it. It's real easy to just deny something. Denial is a psychological condition that is impossible to reason with.
makes it impossible to reason with someone*

Most Helpful Girl

• In my experience no. They only have a sudden "disbelief" in a god just because God did not tolerate homosexuality or something.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have met some decent ones, but sadly the majority of them that I have met are well not the most desirable people to be around lets just put it that way.

But I always leave them with this even some scientists and atheists ( some of them ) while not necessarily believing in our god ( Christianity ) or any religious god realized that the universe, earth, life here on it couldn't have been created through through the big bang and evolution. They admit to there having to have been a higher or divine power at work.

• Yea, sadly they've kind of highjacked science and taken it hostage, it's sort of like a community now where if you decent from the atheists blind denial of a god they make your career hard for you.

• Lol, this is what they do to silence the people who tap them on the shoulder.

What Girls Said 11

• Well, I grew up Christian and for me, and I'm not meaning to offend, just answering the question honestly, for me it comes down to the fact that if the god I was raised believing in IS real, he's a sadistic ass hole who sees us as nothing more than toys to fuck around with for his own amusement. He gives us free will and the ability to think for ourselves and then says "if you want salvation you have to believe in a highly unbelievable stoey that's totally full of holes". Also, the whole sending his son to die for our sins thing? What the fuck is that about? He's frikkin GOD. He literally could have just decided to forgive us and give us a fresh slate and maybe some clearer and more reasonable moral direction and we'd all be like "cool thanks god, you're the best!" Why exactly did his half gof half human son have to be born to a virgin and then killled thirty years later by a bunch of God's otherwise "chosen" people? Tgat makes no sense.

Now, any other religions' gods I don't know that much about, but I figure if there IS a god, then he or she or it probably doesn't really give a shit what goes on in our world and our lives, nor do they likely have some grand plan for us in an afterlife.

I think it's so unlikely that any of us will ever find the correct answer about "god" or an afterlife that I just don't see any point in wasting my life and my efforts dedicating my all to some being who may or may not exist for some benefit I may or may not ever reap.

I'd rather just live my life trying to be a good person and, should there be a god who's fonna judge me and either reward or punish me in the end, hope he/she/it isn't a vengeful, unreasonable prick who'd have me tortured for all eternity for what amounts to no good reason. And if he/she/it IS, well, I don't want to spend my life here or eternity thereafter worshipping the demented fucker.

• I respect this answer, at least you're being honest about your view.

• There is no proof of God beyond a book that has been rewritten (by man) multiple times and no more than belief. Science makes way more sense when you actually break it down in comparison to metaphysics. Also, athiests don't typically try to pressure others to embrace their "religion"; if god is almighty, if he is ultimate, he could prove it.

Also, if there IS a god, I don't believe he is this guy who is going to torture me in hell forever if I have sex before marriage or if I don't pay the church money. If he's a father, he wouldn't do that. Seems to be a means of manipulative control over society to me.

• What's considered "proven" is a matter of majority or individual opinion. Please read the question carefully before answering with mantras.

• LOOOL take your own advice sir, as your information is entirely subjective, not objective.

• Amen sister! I'm with you 100%. I commented too and I'm getting bashed

• I feel like you are not even here to ask a question or to listen to anyone else's opinion. You just want to shove your personal beliefs down people's throats which isn't cool. Many people reject religion because of people like you who are way too pushy and angry about it, you are scaring people away from religion good job!

• Actually it's people like you that makes me more and more atheist.

I simply doesn't believe, i respect that you do, but i would appriciate it if you would would respect that i don't. I don't push away God or religion, nor do i reject it. I just do not believe. And i feel good about that.

• I'm not here to proselytize anyone. I'm here to understand atheists who claim to be reasonable.

• It depends on the atheist.

I think rational thought always leads to agnosticism over religion or atheism. Nothing is fact without evidence. If there were solid evidence for or against religion, either that religion or lack thereof would be cimmonly accepted as fact. That there is no rbidemce to support either ideology renders them theories. Claiming a theory as factual is dogmatic, so atheism is dogmatic as well as religion, whereas agnosticism accepts the lack of an answer due to lack of evidence,

I'm a spiritual new age agnostic who can separate what I beliebe from what I know.

• Nobody believes anything without evidence... Even if it's from past experience.

• *NOT atheist

• Follow my train of thought, if you would.

God does not speak to me personally.

Humans claiming to speak for their God or claiming to have a magic book that speaks for their god preach horrible, hateful, disgusting things.

Why should I trust humans claiming to speak for God again, especially when so many of them are clearly liars by virtue of how blatantly evil their words are?

If I can't trust prophets, I have no way of knowing what God, if there even is a God, is saying.

Therefore, without any guidance or communication God is ultimately irrelevant. I'm flying blind and can only trust my own judgement for certain

If I don't trust any of the churches or doctrines, calling myself a believer would just be lying to myself. Latent distrust has caused me to err towards disbelief.

All of my issues with religion would immediately evaporate if human beings stopped trying to speak for God. I don't personally believe they have any right to.

• Why try to shove religion down an atheists throat without being reasonable.

• I'm just here to read the comments

• I'm an agnostic. I'm not going to deny the existence of A god, however, I refuse to practice a set religion mostly because of the people in those religions. If there is a god, so be it, if there's not aw well.

• Instead of discussing about this silly question, go out and be a good person and help other people! Everyone should be allowed to believe or not to believe. Why do we always need answers, just let it be!

• I was raised Catholic, but I'm agnostic now. I believe in what I believe in, and do not push that onto anyone else. I guess I don't reject or accept His existence, I'm just not really religious.

• How is believing in a god any way rational?

• I can see you're only interested in asserting your opinion and not having a reasonable discussion. Care to let go of straw man arguments and have an intelligent conversation?

• Is it not similar to the question you asked?

• Well, thanks for your opinion lol.

What Guys Said 19

• It's quite simple. To believe in something there has to be a reason to believe in it. There are also degrees of belief. For example truly believing something, or tentatively believing it with a grain of salt.

If you claim a thing exists, the burden of proof is on you. Lack of that proof does not prove it doesn't exist. Complete lack of evidence doesn't mean it doesn't exist either. But lack of proof, and lack of evidence, along with claims that don't even have a logical basis, give good reason to be skeptical at best.

Anybody can make any claim they want. But there is no reason to believe that claim unless something more is presented than simply a claim.

You are the one who brought up science. Even if you present evidence, it's scientifically weak if there are alternate explanations, especially when those alternate explanations are more likely. I have yet to see such evidence. I see a lot of claims for it, but that's all they are, claims.

• Please read the question carefully before answering with mantras.

• Did you or did you not read that I said we are done?

Since you seem to be dense as hell, I'll make it clear. Fuck off mother fucker. You're a fucking idiot. You can take your religion and shove it up your ass. Do not reply again.

• Happily, have fun rationalizing atheism without intelligent rebuttals!

• Literally the only reason why anyone thinks their religion is "the truth" is because they deny the notion that it is just cultural superstition.

It is cultural superstition for population control and getting free money for the church. To keep people in check and to keep them donating.

People keep believing because it is a habit by that point, and they don't want to accept that they have been lied to throughout their lives. It is definitely a genius way to extort money, which is why Scientology was founded in the first place.

P. s. I reject the idea of the current religions being "the one true valid religion" not only because it is obviously fictional, but also because souls literally cannot exist, and as your personality is contained within your brain, an afterlife cannot exist either. Meaning everything else is also bogus, as being judged positively after death is the whole damn point of the thing.

• Well, that's just your opinion man. Atheism is just a way for people to feel important without actually providing intelligent thought or structured intelligent argument.

• Why don't you apply that same logic with evolution?

• Because the concept of evolution; unlike your dogmatic religion that was founded 3000 years ago; is actually based on our knowledge about genetics?

• Is it reasonable to accuse someone of murder because god told you so? Is it reasonable to say god loves me while a young child starves? What was the reasoning to assume all atheist have a scientific view on things. You are just making unreasonable assumptions. But thats ok. My rational reason for being an atheist. Is that their is so much terible shit that happens in our world that no way is i lived the things i created i wouldn't let them suffer. Nor would i a supreme and ultimate neing alow suffering or the learning or lessons to exist.

• @kobe23

You don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

You don't believe in Zeus and Quetzalcoatl and some 3000 other non Christian gods mentioned in old writings either, do you? Here, pick your choice:
    wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...eve-in1.jpg

Once you understand why you don't believe in all these, you'll understand why atheists reject your god.

• Human beings understanding of God can evolve over time, just like our understanding of anything can. The argument of "multiple Gods" not only doesn't make a point, it's an invalid assessment.

• Because of the evidence of a God.

• "what is your rational reason for rejecting to believe in God?"
      What is advanced without proof can be rejected without proof.

• because we are not mindless drones who except something just because it say so in a really old book

• You may be worse.

• I don't believe because I have never seen any proof, if you could prove to me that he was there I believe it, but I still wouldn't go to any organized religion

• Proving is different than proving it to a group of people who have already made up their minds...

• First of all I am not an atheist.

"Even if scientists find "evidence" of a murder they still have to take it in front a jury for the public to decide if it's evidence or not."

That example isn't a valid comparison. Because the evidence is physically there for the jury to see. Using your analogy, a more appropriate way of putting it would be: A policeman is looking for evidence, then he sees a knife and feels that the boyfriend did it. And then he decides that the feeling is evidence.

Personally I feel that Agnosticism is the only reasonable view. We can't really know anything for sure. Believing something more than the other is fine, but rejecting is just plain stupid. In my opinion.

• Just because you have a dead body, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a murder. It could have been suicide or an accident as well. Well, you can also be an agnostic about everything else in life, even evolution. Lol. Doesn't really prove a point.

• Again. I don't really understand where you are going with this, so I will take my leave. But good talk!

• "The point was that you can't really be sure about anything (when it comes to religion)"

You're attacking a straw man. Religion has nothing to do with this discussion...

• I don't see any credible existence in god. It's a fantasy made up by weak minded people to make themselves feel better when things go wrong for them.

• ah, the fedoras and wizardry is strong with this one.

• Well... Sorry you feel that way about us.

• Mick, its good to read you, i thought i was alone

• @Asker You are not prepared for the answer from someone rational. You are not smart enough.
    ie. Hindus believe there are multiple gods, so how is your truth more rational than theirs. I could be open to believe there's something on the Universe beyond our knowledge, but why does it have to be the existence of your God?
    by the way, smart people are not always atheist an there viceversa.

• Lol, well that's just your opinion. Unless you want to make an argument, you haven't shown the existence of God to be improbable by any stretch. Something other than denial and ad hominem attacks would be reasonable and rational in a debate, but I don't think you're capable of that...

• To think there's a God interested in us is just a reflection of the Ego of the man, we think we are so great we are the greatest creation of God. That thought its actually the result of the evolution but humanity is ephemeral in this planet history, there was life long before we existed and will be life after we all die, thats if it survives humanity.

• Perhaps, but there's evidence of his existence, even if atheists are too stupid to see it or are hopelessly in denial...

• With your "murder" analogy, you at least see a dead somebody, or something tangible that one can easily define as a murder, homicide or whatever. The evidence is dead clear. They bring it to court to see who did it (not the actual corpse which is clear evidence). That's the difference. Turn my water into wine... and I may start warming up to the belief of a god. That's a tangible clue. For now, im agnostic. Athiests have every reason to reject god as much as I reject the notion of flying elephants.

• Who's to say it wasn't suicide or an accident? Also the evidence pointing to a suspect would have to be brought in front of the public who will decide if it's evidence.

• What's considered empirical evidence is also subject to public or individual opinion. You're just confused because the public is seldom wrong...

• Empirical evidence is subjected to a lot of things, like math's, tests, reproducing results etc. If it was based on public opinion, this world would be truly screwed. I am not confused, I am dead clear on what is evidence and what isn't. I don't rely on public opinion. For example, my entire family and their group of friends are religious, I didn't go down that road. Thank goodness

• As long as it happens as a healthy and reasonable discussion, i am open to it, pm me if you want to.

As far as 'rational reason' goes, God is one of the leading causes of death. IF believing people can get driven to the point of killing one another, in the name of religion, THEN no thanks, I am better off not believing. So, the next time a million of holy people want to kill one another, I am a happy man.

• Atheists killed way more people in just the last century than all other religious wars thought history. The number is somewhere in the hundreds of millions. Which is obviously what happens when you put incompetent rationalizing people in power.

• @Sara413 Didn't see your response before

• Ya, right, now you tell me what the exceptions are.. Perhaps ISIS is also an exception believed to be formed out of parts of Al-Qaeda whose main aim was to spread the "purest" form of islam. Let's bomb the world like no tomorrow.

• Because there is no tangible evidence. On top of that I like atheists because the do something about the situation not pray and pretend something will happen to better them.

• Like I said, what's considered evidence is subjective. Everyone says the world and natural processes is tangible evidence for God. Rebut it or your reaction is not reasonable.

• I'm actually 21 and you're pretty wack.

• I presume from your comments that you know God personally and he comes round to your house for tea on a regular basis.

• Ok. Do you want it, ill give it to you.
    God comes in a book.
    Science comes from experience and human observation.

Im beetween agnostic and atheism.

• Then why have people believed in God before the bible was written. That's an ignorant view by the way. Religion =/= belief in God.

• How do you explain the believe in a God popping into various societies that are not connected to each other? And atheists becoming theists.

• Because like i said back. We humans are curious and need to make sense of our reality to live with less fear. Beeing alive is a very delicate state and we are emotional creatures, we need to feel some safety, some psycological confort. God is a NATURAL response of ours, because we need to question things to be happier. Finding god IS / WAS the old way of findinh answers that keep us motivated to live. What is changing now is the way we achieve those answers, we support more in the facts proved by science to build that knouwledge that makes us happy.

Atheists becoming theists because they are suffering people. Cancer can make you pray for a cure, it may certanly make me theist, because FEAR and death makes us search multiple answers, specially when science may not be able to help us.

• there is no need for God. and evidence is what is widely accepted.

• Yea and there's no need for evolution or any other scientific theory.

• hehe... no, i meant thre is no need for God. tha's just my own view.. and you cited evolution which was a non sequitur. But take a cue from Jesus' own words..."physician heal yourself"..."take the corn out of your eye.." dunno why you're so angry, but it's amusing to note..

• Okay, there's no need for God in your life. You have the right to say that.

• I don't think they are, agnostics are.

• There's no evidence for the existence of God, so there's nothing to refute.

• Yea, just like there's no evidence for evolution so there's nothing to refute.

• Refute the reasons theists give for believing in God instead of just plugging your ears and denying everything.

• Theists believe in God because they want to. I'm okay with that, but I don't have to think the same way.

• You don't "reject believing". It's not like waking up one day and going "you know what, I think I don't feel like believing in a God anymore". You simply go "do I believe in a God? Hm, not really" and no amount of books or claims from other people can change that because it wasn't some choice.

It would be nice to believe in a God, seems pretty comforting to all those believers, but it just doesn't work that way. I can't just fake it till I make it.

But then I'm less of a nonbeliever and more of a "I don't really care either way" type. God, no God, many gods, not changing how I operate on this earth any so what's the difference? I don't believe for the simple reason it's the less effort of the two considering it doesn't matter to me either way.

• You've essentially admitted that no amount of evidence would change your mind.

• Yes, the processes and phenomena in nature are useful to the growth and progression of life, just like vehicles and buildings are useful for aliens on Mars.

• Seeing purpose and usefulness is subjective and a matter of interpretation. It still doesn't speak to any sort of intention. Plenty of things that came into existence were not efficient or useful or capable of surviving and so it's gone. Nothing intentional, just part of the rules.

• Jesus. This guy again.

You literally come on once a blue moon just to troll people, and it's always about the same thing "Atheists something or other."

You aren't even interested in a real debate, that's the funny part about all this. You just create questions and reject any outside view besides your own like a typical ignorant jackass. You only like to hear your own voice.

Just admit you didn't create this question for actual, mature, open ended discussion already.

• Another funny thing is that there were several people who gave you REALLY good arguments, like actually good, sound, educated and mature responses, and all you pretty much did was just plug your ears and went "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA!"

If you want people to be reasonable, you might wanna start with yourself first. Either way, I'm outta here cause I know this question is a dead end.

• Are you done ranting, if so please get of my question. I'm asking because like many people, atheists are a mystery to me and I'm trying to understand them and the way they think. So please take your pathetic grandstanding and go somewhere else. Don't you people realize your grandstanding doesn't actually work? Lol

• Of course you agree with anything that suits your ideology lol...

• Most athiests I know are douche bags. Close minded, egotistical, disrespectful, intolerant jerks.
    So from my personal experience I'd say they were not reasonable...

• Am I the only one who finds this comment ironic?

• Yeah but you don't have to be an asshole about it. Have an opinion but be respectful of others opinions too!

• Yea well, they don't have anything else lol. They see what they want to see.