Do you think the pledge of allegiance in US schools is strange?

I never thought about it while I was in school or even until I moved into the international community more, but I never knew almost no other major country in the West has a similar practice. I now see it as oddly militeristc and brain washing, especially for children! I don't think I could go back to seeing it any other way to be hoenst... I always thought the massive amounts of patriotism the US has is unrivaled, but I had no idea how indoctrinated the whole process was.

Plus we won't have all these debates about the 'under god' bit!

Most Helpful Girl

• My take one it is: Love my country, want to support it in every way (even with the duffus politicians we have), and saying the pledge and honoring the flag are ways to do it.
    For those who don't want to support the US just get the fuck out of here and go back to your previous state of affairs.
    English is our language and it should be mandatory to speak it in school.

• I love the US too, though I think our flag rules and ceremonies are very outdated and borderline religious... But should school children be FORCED to love the US? The only other countries that had such tactics were fascists... like the Nazis, and Soviets (communists) exiled those who did not 100% follow their ideologies, do you really think the US should operate under the same? Besides I would leave in all honesty... but it is near impossible for the vast majority of people to leave, even if they wanted to, due to financials, emigration laws and family even.

As for demanding kids speak English and as a teacher, Kids are taught English and do speak it for class, but with assistance outside the class room in small focus groups to help them learn English, and get by in school until they learn better English. Some communities in Florida or Texas have 100% Spanish speaking populations in schools, so it is not very fair or smart to make it an English speaking school.

• I don't know where the hell you teach at, but in our state WE have to have bilingual classrooms in certain area's

• In PA. Sure we have classrooms that are bilingual, but it can take years for a child to be good enough with English for the class room... you can't just refuse to teach them because they don't know English though!

Most Helpful Guy

• n 1954, at President Dwight D. Eisenhower's urging, the Congress legislated that “under God” be added, making the pledge read: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

We know Ike was a very god seeking man.
    Nuff said

• Many versions:
      1892 (first version)
      "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
      1892 to 1922
      "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
      1923
      "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States and to the republic for which it stands; one Nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
      1924 to 1954
      "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one Nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
      1954 (current version)
      "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

• I've seen stuff like that in Spain, when Franco was still in power.

• I know, when I liken the Us to these examples, people just get frustrated and call me un American, why are we supposedly a free country, but if don't 100% love our country we should just leave... The Soviets did that all the time with those who went against what the state stood for...

I had a German friend growing up who only stood for the pledge, but did not do anything and our teacher really yelled at him! He got sent to the principles office because he said if Germans did that, people would think they were Nazi's so why can Americans do it and it be okay?

The nerve... I love the US, but not blindly and because people have told me to... that is false dedication and not nearly as useful as people who actually learn to love their country on their own...

What Girls Said 2

• I can understand why some people may think that.
    I personally see saying the pledge of allegiance as a show of respect to the military and those who have died defending myself and this country. Even though I no longer attend high school I still continue say the pledge of allegiance, but I can understand why others do not.
    I guess I'm brainwashed.

• Ya, I don't like the idea of children admiring the military personally... Though I also dislike the military and don't see my life under attack, so I am not very neutral on the topic myself lol

What would you think of a teacher who was American, but did not participate int he Pledge and merely stood up out of respect for the practice?

• I know it's an impractical way of thinking, but I do worry about my past classmates and where they'll end up.
      I guess hate was too strong of a word. I wouldn't vote for common core or against it.

• That is actually a very different reason against than I was expecting! usually it is simply because the states don't want to give up that control and people want their kids taught with a local focus, which to me is why the US always has such negative stereotypes of geography and such. But an interesting problem there I had not thought about! It is incredibly hard to drop out of school in PA, so not a problem I would have encountered. I will for sure be looking into this.

• Does it bother you that much to say it in school?

• Well after learning the last Western nations to have such mandatory nationalistic rituals were the Fascists states int he 40s and the Soviets, yes it does bother me... I just don't think it should be forced on kids or teachers is all... I know some people who choose to respectfully not participate and they got in deep trouble and were shamed, that is not right to me...

What Guys Said 4

• You will probably change your opinion on that subject when you get older.

• why do you say that?

• I know what you mean, I enjoy such conversations... too often, it is either, that is how it has always been, or that is how I was raised, which is no argument to me. Though liberals can be just as bad fighting everything and anything for no reason at all... I just want people to actually, logically back up why they believe what they do, regardless what side it is on, which you did a great job on in your response, I can actually understand that reasoning.

• Thanks. I enjoyed it, as well. Hope to hear from you again soon.

• To be honest yes it's strange kind of to me.. It's just highly unnecessary to practice and time consuming. No need to remind the young citizens every day which side they are on as if they are a group of people just newly recruited to a tribe made to recite everyday as a initiation rite..

Speaking of that. Also flags being everywhere (like there are flags inside classrooms) is kinda strange. Here it is not practiced at all.

• Yes, the flag as well... we put a lot of emphasis on it, especially with rules on how to dispose of one and how you can and can't use it... very strange.

A lot of it goes back to communist scares in the early cold war, and while it served its purpose then, it is obsolete in my opinion.

• Yeah. I get why there is a culture of that.

• It's fascistic, they even used the fascist salute initially when it was introduced.

• I know right? I was so blind to it... no more though. I will soon be a teacher and I can't see myself participating in this ritual... I will just stand in respect I think.

• I do think it's one of the weirdest things about American schools. How many times do you have to do it?

• every day before school starts...

• I'll stand as I do love and respect this country, but because I learned to, not because I was told... plus I could easily loose my job as a teacher I am sure... I will likely stand, but not participate.

• Losing your job because you didn't stand up seems a bit... childish.