When did you stop believing in Santa?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 15

• Are we talking about the physical being or the spirit of Christmas? Because I still believe in the commercial spirit of Christmas (I'm an atheist so the religious one means nothing to me). I think I stopped believing in the physical being at about 12.

• Never really believed in it haha grew up in a christian family who of course teaches the young ones that there is no such thing :") I did at one point try to believe in it cause i heard and saw so much about it but yeah hahahha never had a chimney either 0_0 hahaha

• What? Santa isn't real?
    I hate you Jared! You've ruined my life! 😖😖😖😱
    🎅Long live santa!

• when I was 12 because my mother thinking I knew started talking about it

• I don't know. I guess I never really believed in Santa.

• When I stayed awake one night waiting for him to come down the chimney and I saw my parents eat the cookies that I made for him and put the presents under the tree.

• The moment he gave me a damn Pepsi cup instead of a Barbie. !
    Age 5 XD

• I still believe in Santa <3

• I was maybe 10 I dont know

• when i was about 7

• When I was 11

• The truth came out in the third grade.

• When I was 10 lol

• I remember I was like 7ish I was with my mom and it was around Christmas time. We walked across a hobo dressed as santa but my mom didn't even acknowledge his existence throughout his constant begging for money. he yelled out something like " fine than, HEY KID SANTA DOESN'T EXIST"

• Who said I stopped? :|

What Guys Said 13

• I was around 7 or so and it happened due to a very bad experience with Santa.
    But before I tell you about it, you have to know that the whole Santa custom works a little different in German culture (by that I mean in the German speaking countries Germany Switzerland and Austria) than in the United States. Contrary to America, Santa doesn't come on Christmas eve in Switzerland. Instead, he always comes on the 6th of December (I actually don't know why exactly on that day). Also, rather than slipping through the chimney and bringing all the presents in secrecy, our German/Swiss Santa is a much more stern figure (I guess that fits to German culture haha ;-)). In my country, Santa knocks on the front door. Frequently, it's a neighbor or family friend dressed up as Santa and playing this role but there are also "professional" Santas that parents can rent to come to their house. Also, contrary to the American Santa, our Santa has an assistant. In Germany he's called Knecht Ruprecht, in Switzerland we call him Schmutzli. He is always dressed in a brown gown made of burlap, much like a medieval peasant and he's got a black hood.
    Instead of simply bringing gifts, the Swiss/German Santa's first and foremost task and purpose is to scare the children. That's why our Santas usually talk with a very deep voice and they wear heavy boots that make loud stomping noises when they walk. When Santa rings the bell (usually around 6-7 in the evening) and the parents open the doors, he and his assistant come in and they are then told to go to the living room where the children are. Once everyone is in the living room, the children have to stand in front of Santa and his assistant and either sing a song or recite a little poem. It's a very uncomfortable situation because you're being watched by everyone and you're very scared of the two big men in front of you. Once you've successfully sung your song or recited your poem, Santa opens a big book and scolds the child for whatever it has done badly during that year (he is told about this stuff by the parents beforehand). Once he is done scolding the child, the child has to apologize and promise to behave better in the coming year. Santa's assistant usually carries a birch with him and he scares the child by telling him/her that he will whip him/her or even put him/her in his bag and take them home to his cottage if they don't behave better. Once this scary ritual is over and the child has promised to be good, they get a bag with

• nuts and chocolate and fruits.
      Now, usually the threats that Santa and his assistant make to the children are only that: empty threats. Back in the days they used to actually hit the children or stuff them in their bags but luckily, that doesn't work anymore. However, one time the parents of our whole neighborhood rented one Santa for all the children. My family and the other families of the neighborhood (with their children) went to a nearby forest, where we met Santa and his assistant. When it was my turn, it just so happened that this "professional" Santa messed me up with another child and thought I was a really bad kid (I was actually a very good kid). As punishment, he grabbed me, stuffed me in his bag, threw it over his shoulder and said "you will never see your family again" and walked away from the crowed. I totally panicked. I was too young to understand that it was only a mean joke. It was especially terrible because all the adults only laughed and nobody came to help me,

• not even my parents. It was quite a traumatizing experience. It made me feel like I can't trust anyone and I was genuinly thinking I'm getting abducted (it was especially creepy because it was already dark and we were in the middle of the forest). After about 150 meters and me crying and screaming and kicking in that bag, Santa's assistant dropped me in the snow and let me out again. Santa laughed and said "hey kid, it's only a joke" but I didn't even get what he was saying. I just ran back to my parents and I still remember how I was almost hyperventilating because I was running so fast and crying so much at the same time. Now, thinking back, I can laugh about it but back then it wasn't funny. I also felt mortified and humiliated to cry so much in front of all the other children of our neighborhood. Since that day, I've decided that I never ever, ever want to have anything to do with Santa again and my mom told me a few weeks later that Santa is just a guy in a dress.

• OMG. Are you telling me there is no SANTA?

• Dude, SANTA IS REAL

http://youtu.be/8Hz8lf4SdUA

• When I was like 5, my family owned an RV and one Christmas we went camping somewhere, I asked my mom "How is Santa going to get in?" the question caught her really off guard and then finally replied "He's going to come through the roof", LOLOLOLOLOL! In the morning there were presents everywhere and no gaping hole in the roof so right then and there I took it as a sign that there was no Santa.

• What? Santa is not real? Thanks for ruining that for me people !_!

• Around the age of 10 when I realized that I don't have a chimney and that there were only presents from my parents and never an extra one from Santa.

• When I caught dad eating the piece of Christmas cake and drinking the glass of sherry I had left out for sSanta. I was about 7

• Never stop believing

• Around 8 years old I think.

• Never did actually

• Can't remember i ever did, here we have Sinterklaas (saint nicolas) who is more populair

• I never believed in him. :P

• I'm Jewish and I still believe in Santa