American Gagers: What are topics you think the 2016 Election should focus on?

I think Employment should be a top priority, Gun control should also be there, and how to deal with domestic and international terror threats. Another top priority for me personally is the student loan crisis.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hillary Clinton not being able to be contacted by the White House while Secretary of State or lying about keeping top secret emails on a private unsecured server, the horrible nuclear agreement with Iran, what is really going to happen with Gitmo, trading 5 terrorist for 1 American soldier who abandoned his post causes some of his fellow soldiers to get killed while looking for him and him getting charged for abandoning his post, Obamacare which was supposed to give health insurance for all but doesn't do that all since you go from not having insurance but to having insurance by paying a monthly premium and having an 8,000 USD deductible that is not insurance at all, getting the guy out of jail in the middle east who was the sole reason why we were able to kill Osama Bin Laden, the serious issue with illegal immigrants in the United States, the fact that people still cannot get jobs even though politicians are touting job growth which is not accurate a lot of people have low paying jobs or are still trying to find decent work the recession is not over it's just being masked... I'll get off my soapbox but that is not even scratching the surface of the issues I have

• I agree the economy is still a mess.

• i don t consider it an epic fail because I wouldn't be able to have insurance right now without it. I know plenty of other people the same way. Public option would have been a non profit system that would have had a chance to eventually displace the for profit insurance companies. I think it would have been hard to get a complete European style system because half the country was opposed to anything socialist at least in there minds lol. Also the republicans were a minority so they used lots of stupid tricks just to make doing anything hell all the government shutdowns the record number of filibusters. They definitely had an effect on what was in the bill. Also remember an interview with some republican congressmen talking about how they would fight tooth and nail to insure no public option made it into the bill because it would destroy the private insurance industry. Pretty sure it was Robert Reich who said that about amazon. He was Clintons former finance minister

• inequality for all was the documentary. He touches deeply on the way technology either takes a job completely or forces the value of the job down. So is it really a positive if a tech brings 100,000 high wage/high skill jobs at the expense of 500,000 low skill jobs? Still a net loss of 400,000 jobs. 3d printers and robotic manufacturing are going to put all factory workers out of business soon too. Driving jobs going too. This will probably be pretty similar time frames I'm guessing. Also right now amazon is testing completely robotic warehouses and drone deliveries so a good chunk of the 200,000 people they do employ won't have those jobs soon. This is the way of the world man. Technology is replacing the human

What Girls Said 1

• Don't you think immigration should be on the list?

What Guys Said 4

• Well, I'm not American but I'm gonna answer anyways ;-). I think most of your points are valid and worthy of being discussed with one exception: terrorism. I think terrorism is bullshit. And by that I don't just mean committing terrorist attacks is bullshit but the topic itself is bullshit. Terrorism has been hyped since 2001 in the US to an almost unimaginable degree. I mean... let's be honest: how big of a threat is terrorism actually to you? You are thousands of times more likely to die in a car accident than in a terrorist attack. You're also hundreds or thousands of times more likely to fall down the stairs in your home and break your neck, or to be shot by some crazy, fellow American gun-fanatic or to have a heart attack from eating fast food in front of your TV. Yet, I can't remember the last time candidates who ran for president in the US talked about traffic accidents as a big issue. I'm not saying terrorism should be ignored but people have to tone it down again... big time. All these constant scare-tactics of the American media are insane in my opinion and should be ignored by the American people. It's very unhealthy for the country. Not just because Americans' fear of islamist terrorists is completely out of relation to the actual size of the threat but also because this huge fear leads people to do very stupid things... among which is spending tons of money for wars that A) can't be won, B) kill tons of innocent civilians and C) therefore radicalize people and create more terrorists.
    Both the time America uses to discuss terrorism as well as the money it spends to fight it would be much, much better applied for things such as creating a decent education system. Terrorists don't even deserve being constantly moved into the spotlight of your political discussions and government budget, don't you think so? There are truly more important topics than terrorism.

• I live in a small town 90 minutes from a major US city so terrorism really isn't a big threat here, But the threat is still there even though I admit its slim. I think Economy and unemployment should be the next big thing

• To be honest, I don't think it matters where you live in the US, whether you live in a 200-people village or in New York City, being scared of terrorism seems like being scared of dying in a zombie apocalypse due to a dangerous virus. It's possible... but not exactly likely. Have you ever looked at graphs showing gun violence in the US? I know this is very European of me and probably won't be very welcome here but this idea of free gun ownership has literally killed MILLIONS of Americans already and more than any terrorist attack ever will or can. Just have a look at this website:
      http://guns.periscopic.com/?year=2013
      Every single day, people in American die of gun violence. In my country, we haven't had a single school shooting ever in our history so far and only one public shooting (about 15 years ago). In America, people don't even get surprised about it anymore. It happens every few weeks. Terrorists kill maybe 5-10 Americans a year. In 2013, over 11,000 people died due to gun violence in the US. More people die of

• gun violence in America per year than in Iraq! In other words... there's a civil war going on in America... Americans just haven't figured it out yet. Yet, guns are somehow considered "freedom" and "an important part of the culture" while people have a total paranoia about islamist terrorists. It's something I will never get my head around. It just doesn't make any sense...

• population control, global warming, fixing education system for the good of economy, ie non capitalist higher education options, legalized drugs, I know there's more

• What do you mean non capitalist higher education options

• Even in Hitler's Germany college was cheap if not free for all German students I believe

• capitalism is jus a detrement to certain endeavors, Education and Health Care the main culprits in the US

• Worshipping my dick is an important issue to me, and business friendly policies would be welcome too. Gun restrictions in this country are retarded and inconsistent, need to be fixed. I shouldn't have to speak to four different agencies to find out if I can shoot a groundhog that's destroying my property.

• I agree on gun restrictions. I believe in ownership of guns, but there should be background checks before selling them to a person

• Most places do have background checks. But certainly there are places where people get around that.

Some places are too loose, and some places are too restrictive.

• Same can be said for places of employment

• unemployment, national deficit, inflation