Names for son & daughter?

What would the names of your son and daughter be? (if you'd ever get them)
I like Hayden for a girl and Alex for a guy:)

Most Helpful Guy

• Well my girlfriend is from South Korea and I am from Switzerland, so our children will get a name from each language/culture. Either a western first name and a Korean middle name or a Korean first name and a western middle name.

Western: For girls I like names such as Manou/Manon (French), Anouk (French), Désirée (also French), Elin (Swedish), Ronja (Norse/Swedish), Xenia (Greek), Alexis (Greek), Lena (German/Swiss) and Zoë (originally Ancient Greek, in German we don't pronounce it Zo-ee but Zo-eh because that is how the German "e" is pronounced).
    For boys I don't have so many names that I like but I find Elijas or Shay (pronounced like "shy") quite nice.

As for Korean names, it's a bit more complicated because Korean first names are always composed of two syllables and though these can theoretically be any syllables, they have to fit together of course to produce a nice sound and ideally they should have a nice meaning (the meaning usually comes from the corresponding Chinese symbol). Name-giving in Korean is really quite a science. Some South Korean parents even employ "professional name-givers" to find the perfect name for their child. Personally, I like girl names such as Yumi (유미), Haneul (하늘) (this one means "sky" for example), Hyun-Jae (현재) and for boys Sae-Ryun (세륜) or Yul-Ryok (율룍).

• Wow you have really thought this through! Are you planning on getting a baby? Like the names:)
      By the way, I know in some Asian counties they give siblings a name that has similar syllable. Like Baekhyun and Baekbeom. Are you planning on doing something like that?

• Well, I'm 27, so it's slowly but surely getting time for a baby :-). My girlfriend and me both feel emotionally very ready to have a child, so we have discussed it quite a bit... how we want to bring up our children, what we want to do with them... and of course what baby names each of us likes. Unfortunately, we are not yet financially ready to have a child because we are still studying at university and we will be doing so until we're 30 or so (in Switzerland university usually takes much longer than in America). Though government benefits are quite good and I know a girl who is a uni student and a mom (so it works), we don't wanna do that. It just seems too stressful. So we have to wait another few years. But that doesn't keep us from thinking about it and getting mentally prepared for it ;-).

As for the Asian name thing: I can only speak for Korean culture and yes, Koreans do that. But we are not planning on doing it because it's something very traditional and my girlfriend

• doesn't like traditions very much. I also personally find it a rather strange thing to do. I mean... imagine your older sister is called Samantha and your parents just call you Samenthee (in Korean culture, the same-syllable thing only goes for the same sex. So daughters don't share a syllable with sons). Not only does it sound a bit stupid to name both daughter almost the same, it also makes you wonder as a child whether your parents were really happy to get you since they were being so lazy in naming you. I get the same feeling for Americans doing stuff like calling their sons "William junior"... it makes me wanna ask those parents "don't you think your child deserves a name that is a tad more... original?" In German/Swiss culture they used to name sons after the grandfather and daughters after the grandmother until about 50 years ago. I also find that very strange. So no, I want my children to have cool, creative and individual names and we will take our time to make a decision :-).

Most Helpful Girl

• i think hayden is really nice!

• Thanks! What names do you like?

What Guys Said 5

• Hayden is a guy name, sorry.

• I think it's one of those gender neutral names:)
      Look at Hayden Christensen and Hayden Panettiere.

• Osama for son, Hillary for daughter.

• Kevin junior or Kevina ;-)

• You can call your son Brock or jason and your daughter Hannah

• i want her to be Francesca, and him to be Eric

What Girls Said 1

• Kellin for a boy and Karma for a girl.